Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Bring on Thursday:

iconurl.png

sadly were not all financially gifted with all singing and dancing PC's :wave

sadly were not all financially gifted with all singing and dancing PC's :wave

I find it much harder to financially justify getting a console to be honest. I need a computer anyway, and it's not really difficult or expensive to get one already capable of running new games well. Why spend that money anyway and then pay additional money for a console on which the games are more expensive?

I find it much harder to financially justify getting a console to be honest. I need a computer anyway, and it's not really difficult or expensive to get one already capable of running new games well. Why spend that money anyway and then pay additional money for a console on which the games are more expensive?

I thought exactly like that when I was thinking of buying a console. I thought I already had a decent gaming grade computer so why a console that the games are so expensive for?

I eventually bought a PlayStation 3 and I couldn't be happier. The strategy I followed for last 6 years was easy - pre-owned games - if you are in USA/Canada, pre-owned games have a huge market and they drop in prices at least by half in about a year if not sooner, depending on the genre of the game. The PS3 exclusives alone made the purchase worth it. I don't think on an average I paid over $18 for ANY game I have. Now that's significantly cheaper than any PC game.

Some games like The Last of Us, DBC 14, Fifa 14, GTA V etc. I had to buy brand new and they are going to last for a long time.

On the other hand, PC graphic cards do start showing their age sooner than consoles as most games are built as a PC showcase. If you built a PC in 2010, try running a game released in 2014 on maximum settings and you'll see what I am saying. On console games, this rarely happens - yes some games drop in eye-candy department, but they will still be quite enjoyable. Watch Dogs is the first game I thought showed PS3's age clearly but that is happening after a whopping 7 successful years worth of gaming and it's also not the best coded game if you ask me. But just a year ago, The Last of Us showed us what console platform optimization can do. I am sure XBOX also has similar examples to make the point.

Finally, just the feeling of collapsing on your couch in front of your big screen TV holding a wireless controller playing a game WITHOUT having to go through those clunky operating systems and installations first is priceless!

Last edited:
Agree 100%. We are part of few online Leagues in PC forum (both Test Match & T20 leagues), though there are usual bugs like Rolling Ball out etc, but it is not game breaking at all. Of-course it will be much better (We hope) once the Patch-2 is released, but certainly we are having blast playing these online matches among ourselves. What we do is save our game after every 05/10 Overs, and if there is a rolling ball out, we try to start from last save point. It is inconvenient, but we have to remember after a long long time we are even getting to play a decent cricket game and I consider myself Lucky that @BigAntStudios even thought of investing in cricket.

I like Ross and the Big Ant team as much as anyone else does, and have nothing but good things to say about DBC 14. But to call "rolling ball being given out caught" not being game-breaking is stretching it. I have no doubt patch 2 will fix most of the online bugs but as it stands now, DBC 14 online is broken. Let's give credit where it's due and most of us agree Big Ant team has done a great job with DBC 14 but at the same time let's not say batsman given out off a grounded ball is not gamebreaking. It's akin to saying FIFA is not broken if corner kicks are inexplicably given as a goal, or Madden would be perfect if it stops recognizing rushing TDs.

I thought exactly like that when I was thinking of buying a console. I thought I already had a decent gaming grade computer so why a console that the games are so expensive for?

I eventually bought a PlayStation 3 and I couldn't be happier. The strategy I followed for last 6 years was easy - pre-owned games - if you are in USA/Canada, pre-owned games have a huge market and they drop in prices at least by half in about a year if not sooner, depending on the genre of the game. The PS3 exclusives alone made the purchase worth it. I don't think on an average I paid over $18 for ANY game I have. Now that's significantly cheaper than any PC game.

Some games like The Last of Us, DBC 14, Fifa 14, GTA V etc. I had to buy brand new and they are going to last for a long time.

On the other hand, PC graphic cards do start showing their age sooner than consoles as most games are built as a PC showcase. If you built a PC in 2010, try running a game released in 2014 on maximum settings and you'll see what I am saying. On console games, this rarely happens - yes some games drop in eye-candy department, but they will still be quite enjoyable. Watch Dogs is the first game I thought showed PS3's age clearly but that is happening after a whopping 7 successful years worth of gaming and it's also not the best coded game if you ask me. But just a year ago, The Last of Us showed us what console platform optimization can do. I am sure XBOX also has similar examples to make the point.

Finally, just the feeling of collapsing on your couch in front of your big screen TV holding a wireless controller playing a game WITHOUT having to go through those clunky operating systems and installations first is priceless!

Clunky operating systems and installations, have you used a PS3 or Xbox 360?

Speaking of graphics cards showing their age, you'd have heard of watch_dogs right? I nearly cry with laughter looking at the developing mess there. "Definitive next gen experience". It's already shown that the PS4 and Xbone aren't even up to scratch, let alone the PS3 and Xbox 360 (which sadly look awful compared to the PS4 and to a lesser extent Xbone). There is a world between FIFA 14 on the PS3 and PS4. Even the last of us suffered from the PS3 though (hence the PS4 version coming soon).

The consoles pull is that they are a cheaper options using standardized settings, but the fact that they are already well behind the eightball within a year of their release shows the issue with them being "'bout da graphics" as so many people I've talked to have said. To be completely honest the only console that even have decent games coming out at the moment is the Wii U (and the only next gen one to have a library that justifies its existence).

The real issue for consoles though is the rise of platforms like steam and gog making games extremely affordable on the PC, with accounts usable between multiple (of the owner's) computers, along with save data and settings for the most parts. With there being very few exclusives (bar Nintendo, which is virtually entirely exclusives) and a failure of "da graphics" side of the next gen consoles, it'll be interesting to see where things are at the end of this particular generation.

Speaking of "significantly cheaper than any PC game" at $18, here are some games you can pick up for under $18 on steam right now:

Borderlands 2 + Borderlands GOTY: $9.99
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE: $14.99
Tomb Raider (the new one): $4.99
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition: $7.49
Mass Effect Collection: $7.84
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition: $6.79
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition: $17.99
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition: $5.36
Sleeping Dogs: $9.99
Goat Simulator: $7.99
PAYDAY 2: $9.89
Portal 2: $9.99
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition: $8.99
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition: $16.99

So no, that is categorically untrue. Brick and mortar stores might bend you over a barrel backwards money wise most of the time, but that's why they're slowly disappearing, even the consoles are looking to phase them out from what I can tell. Anyhow, if you go on steam, I'd personally recommend:
Don't Starve: $8.99
Octodad: Dadliest Catch: $8.99
Super Meat Boy: $5.49
Banished: $14.99

All of those are fantastic, on the couch in front of my TV. Might not be to everyone's tastes, but pretty damn good games.

I'd recommend this website: /us ? SteamPrices.com

It allows you to compare global prices on Steam, see if a product is regularly discounted etc. Very useful.

I'd say "The Stanley Parable" (on offer 66% off for another hour or two) is the best thing on there right now.
And "Papers Please" is worth buying at ANY price.
"Don't Starve" is good also (I think that's already been in and out the sale again).

Last edited:
I like Ross and the Big Ant team as much as anyone else does, and have nothing but good things to say about DBC 14. But to call "rolling ball being given out caught" not being game-breaking is stretching it. I have no doubt patch 2 will fix most of the online bugs but as it stands now, DBC 14 online is broken. Let's give credit where it's due and most of us agree Big Ant team has done a great job with DBC 14 but at the same time let's not say batsman given out off a grounded ball is not gamebreaking. It's akin to saying FIFA is not broken if corner kicks are inexplicably given as a goal, or Madden would be perfect if it stops recognizing rushing TDs.

There was a bug in FIFA 08 if I recall where occasionally when you scored, it gave it as a goal for the other team.

FIFA street 4 would occasionally wipe all of your data.

A bunch of FIFAs would simply hang on particular dates in manager mode and be unrecoverable.

FIFA World Cup 2014 hangs and requires a hard reset when playing with countries like Argentina, Mexico and such at home last I played it.

...Sony once sent out a PS3 update that supposedly completely bricked the console... As in, unrecoverable (needed to be sent away to be fixed)

Big companies have big bugs occasionally too. Hopefully Big Ant's are sorted for the most part after the patch.

good post. acknowledging the issues doesn't mean you're saying the game isn't brilliant.

i've not played online, but largely because what i've read about the online experience did sound pretty game-breaking (probably be worse for me cuz i would be over wireless).

we should acknowledge how awesome it is to have a developer fixing the problems rather than pretending the problems aren't there/don't exist.

i am really looking forward to playing patch 2 when it comes out. i've been playing a lot the last few days after a couple of weeks being too busy to play much at all - i've fallen in love with this game all over again, it's wonderful. and with the additional fixes it will be even better.

I'd recommend this website: /us ? SteamPrices.com

It allows you to compare global prices on Steam, see if a product is regularly discounted etc. Very useful.

I'd say "The Stanley Parable" (on offer 66% off for another hour or two) is the best thing on there right now.

Glory to Arstotzka!

i played around 10 games online today, and only 2 disconnections ( that too because opponent left the game ). And also my other fb friends are reporting much smoother online gaming experience and almost nil disconnections.:thumbs

Clunky operating systems and installations, have you used a PS3 or Xbox 360?

Speaking of graphics cards showing their age, you'd have heard of watch_dogs right? I nearly cry with laughter looking at the developing mess there. "Definitive next gen experience". It's already shown that the PS4 and Xbone aren't even up to scratch, let alone the PS3 and Xbox 360 (which sadly look awful compared to the PS4 and to a lesser extent Xbone). There is a world between FIFA 14 on the PS3 and PS4. Even the last of us suffered from the PS3 though (hence the PS4 version coming soon).

The consoles pull is that they are a cheaper options using standardized settings, but the fact that they are already well behind the eightball within a year of their release shows the issue with them being "'bout da graphics" as so many people I've talked to have said. To be completely honest the only console that even have decent games coming out at the moment is the Wii U (and the only next gen one to have a library that justifies its existence).

The real issue for consoles though is the rise of platforms like steam and gog making games extremely affordable on the PC, with accounts usable between multiple (of the owner's) computers, along with save data and settings for the most parts. With there being very few exclusives (bar Nintendo, which is virtually entirely exclusives) and a failure of "da graphics" side of the next gen consoles, it'll be interesting to see where things are at the end of this particular generation.

Speaking of "significantly cheaper than any PC game" at $18, here are some games you can pick up for under $18 on steam right now:

Borderlands 2 + Borderlands GOTY: $9.99
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE: $14.99
Tomb Raider (the new one): $4.99
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition: $7.49
Mass Effect Collection: $7.84
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition: $6.79
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition: $17.99
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition: $5.36
Sleeping Dogs: $9.99
Goat Simulator: $7.99
PAYDAY 2: $9.89
Portal 2: $9.99
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition: $8.99
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition: $16.99

So no, that is categorically untrue. Brick and mortar stores might bend you over a barrel backwards money wise most of the time, but that's why they're slowly disappearing, even the consoles are looking to phase them out from what I can tell. Anyhow, if you go on steam, I'd personally recommend:
Don't Starve: $8.99
Octodad: Dadliest Catch: $8.99
Super Meat Boy: $5.49
Banished: $14.99

All of those are fantastic, on the couch in front of my TV. Might not be to everyone's tastes, but pretty damn good games.

Some good points, but when you mentioned Nintendo, I could not help but chuckle. And I am not sure about your comment on my comment comparing PC OS clunkiness with console OS. I certainly have used a console before and that's why the comment. PCs are not inherently gaming oriented. Gaming Consoles, apparently, are.

Note that one of the main reasons PC games are dropping in prices is the rise of consoles and console gaming. Trust me, as an avid PC-platform lover, it hurts (literally) when I see myself struggling with first person shooters using controllers. Some games will never be as satisfying on consoles as they are on PC. But it doesn't shoot down the fact that even the most die-hard gamers are moving away from the PC platform. Sigh.

And that list of games you have on there, do check where most of the multiplayer (and offline) action is happening, whether it's on a PC or non-PC. But I hear your points loud and clear.

This is a DBC 14 forum, and as much I love to digress, I'll stop here before I am given Out.

Trust me, as an avid PC-platform lover, it hurts (literally) when I see myself struggling with first person shooters using controllers.

Buy a VenomX and play all your console shooters with a mouse as you are accustomed to. :D

I switched to consoles about a year ago and got a VenomX around March this year. My whole brain just sighed happily and FPS gaming became enjoyable again.

This.

If anyone's into grand strategy style games; Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are genuinely great games and they are 50% off during the entire summer sale and they might also be available during flash sales/daily deals for less. Some of the best games that I've bought this year...

Some good points, but when you mentioned Nintendo, I could not help but chuckle. And I am not sure about your comment on my comment comparing PC OS clunkiness with console OS. I certainly have used a console before and that's why the comment. PCs are not inherently gaming oriented. Gaming Consoles, apparently, are.

Note that one of the main reasons PC games are dropping in prices is the rise of consoles and console gaming. Trust me, as an avid PC-platform lover, it hurts (literally) when I see myself struggling with first person shooters using controllers. Some games will never be as satisfying on consoles as they are on PC. But it doesn't shoot down the fact that even the most die-hard gamers are moving away from the PC platform. Sigh.

And that list of games you have on there, do check where most of the multiplayer (and offline) action is happening, whether it's on a PC or non-PC. But I hear your points loud and clear.

This is a DBC 14 forum, and as much I love to digress, I'll stop here before I am given Out.

Gamers moving away from PC? Which decade are you living in? There are, at this time 7,156,546 people using steam alone right now. It's true that titles like CoD and FIFA tend to be more console orientated, but in general the PC market is actually a growth area. The big issue facing a lot of studios is that not enough people are moving to the new consoles. Hence moves like EA not producing the World Cup 2014 game for the PS4 and Xbone.

----------

This.

If anyone's into grand strategy style games; Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are genuinely great games and they are 50% off during the entire summer sale and they might also be available during flash sales/daily deals for less. Some of the best games that I've bought this year...

Exactly this, brilliant games. Hearts of Iron 4 is in the worlds too.

Users who are viewing this thread