PC MutliPlayer Match Up Thread

Hey Earl, I'm glad you brought all this up. I'll try to explain my actions. I bowled proper line and length for the whole game, making sure i hit what the game designates as a perfect line.
You're quite right - as far as the game was concerned the game decides that the majority of these were "good balls", apart from the deliveries which were called a wides and the ones I edged when charging down the wicket to the legside which would quite probably otherwise have been equally been penalised. IMO though the deliveries you were bowling at the end were wider than your standard, as I will describe more fully later on.

However, to describe the crux of my argument in a paragraph, my problem is that you were able to bowl in a way which stopped me playing to half of the field (the legside) and then packed the remaining half (the offside) with all nine fielders. That, in my opinion, is bodyline in reserve and works purely because because we are playing a computer game with limited (and in some cases, flawed) mechanics.

When i was batting some strange things were happening with your custom field. I had several perfectly timed lofted shots caught by your close in fielders, short cover to name but a few. I couldn't understand it. It basically meant that i couldn't score any runs, as although i did mis hit a few i was seeing my perfectly timed ground and air shots being caught.
From what I remember these catches were going to point and short cover, to out swingers and slower balls by fast and medium bowlers, bowling outside off stump. I think you were finding that those deliveries, however well you connected with them, weren't cutable/couldn't be slashed over point.

Now my standard custom field is a 6/3 (offside/onside) with men at second slip, a gully, point and short cover up close plus a deep mid off and a deep extra cover. That makes it less offside biased than even the standard ring field you use, plus there is large gap through the infield between the short cover and the deep mid off, with only the deep extra cover defending the rope. I think you're simply seeing the problem opposition batsmen face against your standard bowling from the other point of view - for the spell when wickets tumbled I was simply bowling outswingers and slower balls with a similar line to that you default to.

I understand that timed ground shots can be caught, but surely not perfectly timed lofted shots, this confused me and i lost many wickets before i realised that with your field playing through the offside was so risky, be it ground or air shot perfectly timed.

It's not just about timing - it's also placement. You can hit "perfect" attacking shots, and they won't always go to the fence even if they get past the field (they slow up just short of the rope) as the game believes you haven't played it to the ideal part if the ground. Whether the game judges correctly is a matter of debate - I'm not convinced either way tbh.

Now i'll come on to your batting.

What worried me was almost all 90%+ of your runs were from charging down the wicket. This is not your fault, your just using the mechanics of the game, but seeing you charge down constantly with very little risk is something i have never seen another player do. I hope when i get a decent control pad that will allow me to select charge/back foot it does not give me a get out clause.

Firstly, I don't come down the wicket as much against any other player; I usually only use my feet against the spinners (who I am coming to the conclusion are completely negated against a good opponent with their ideal length (in the games opinion) being virtually on the batsmen's toes). However, this is the only way I have found to regularly combat your standard line and length combined with the ring field. If I come down the wicket and play a lofted shot I am far more likely to get it over the infield, even if I don't quite time it, compared to if I played the same shot from within my crease where I find myself far more prone to looping up a catch for you.

On the rare times you didn't charge i started to pick up wickets, i think as you grew closer to your target you became more cautious and this allowed me back into the game.

There's a large amount of truth in that. Firstly I think you've backed up my point about me being largely compelled to come down the wicket. The fact was I was having to play risky shots to combat your bowling and after that start I had hoped, having made it halfway to my target so early on, that I could play more cautiously from then on. Unfortunately I struggled readjusting to the different timing speed and length of timing windows of playing from within my crease.

So, we got to the final wicket, and you started charging down the wicket again and lofting me to the legside. So i decided to use a field similar to what you started with, only in the fact though that i had a few close catchers and packed the offside boundary edge.
Unless you meant to put "different only in the fact" I'd certainly argue with that; I can't remember having ever "packed the offside boundary edge". I think I had a deep point after a while as well as my usual deep extra cover, but that was it as far as deep fielders. If you did mean to put "different only in the fact", I think the phrase "packed the offside boundary edge" is a crucial difference and leads back to the crux of the problem.

I wanted you to take a single or two so that i could attack your vulnerable batsmen. Johnson was fearless, and had already scored some runs. So i decided to bowl good line and length, protect the offside boundry with 5 fielders, have a few close in catchers and men at mid on/mid off. As i noticed you became desperate to hit to the onside, a few times i moved the cursor to the right, but still a light green line according to the game at the last moment. I made these deliveries outswingers which probably made them look wider than they actually were.

Again, I'm not disputing that game thought they were okay, but in my opinion they should either be called wide (and they were certainly borderline at best) or I should have been able to play them onto the completely vacant legside (I'm not talking about through square leg here or mid wicket here - just through mid off). It has to be one or the other or we get into imbalanced situations like the field you employed.

There were enough overs left that if you had just taken singles to the offside you would probably have won.

I really don't think the singles were there to be had. Where were the gaps with all 11 men on the offside? Admittedly I was reluctant to take just singles and leave Siddle on strike, but at that point I was of the mindset that playing to your tactic would be accepting it, which I wasn't prepared to do. Therefore I kept coming down the wicket to try and meet the ball while it was towards the middle of the pitch laterally in an attempt to negate the width of you bowling and hit it towards the vacant the midoff as, in my opinion, I would be perfectly entitled to do if it wasn't a wide ball. However the timing window for this was barely more than a sliver and so I kept edging it.

Because it was the final wicket, i didn't really anticipate that so much would be made of this to be honest.

That's a part of the equation that made me feel quite so strongly - in really caught me off guard as it just didn't seem necessary. You'd already shown you were capable of bowling me out normally with the previous nine wickets. If you had continued to do so I have little doubt you'd have won and I would have had no grounds for complaint - the fact you did cheapened the victory in my view. Personally I put the manner and quality of my performance above the outcome. If I had lost normally I would have been frustrated having relinquished the momentum on two key occasion, but would have been satisfied that I had at least given you a decent game.

I was still bowling my line and length, and at the last second i would move the cursor to change the length to slightly wide
If you moved the cursor wide, then you weren't bowling your usual line and length, surely? Your cursor certainly didn't start any closer to the pads than usual.

I got wided a few times because i chose an outswinger, however the ball was still within the lines so not sure why i was wided.

I'd honestly expect those to be called a wide in limited overs (and particularly Twenty20) personally. The lines don't apply in the same way as in Test/FC Cricket remember, since forcing the batsmen to leave the a delivery being to the bowler's advantage in limited overs, while it being far less beneficial in Test/FC where you want to make the batsmen play the majority of the time. Therefore umpire's are far stricter on wides.

Anyhoo I'm happy not to do it if people thinks its a major issue. You actually scored a boundary or two on the offside with that field, you just had to time it.
I can only remember scoring one boundary which was with a lofted shot off of a free hit which negated the field. I just don't feel like I should have been in the position of being left with lofted shots as my main scoring option when the whole of the legside was wide open - it's just not cricket IMO - but that's where I was with that field and bowling line.

Still, I appreciate your willingness to conform to whatever the group consensus is. I think now is the right time for debating it now you've explained things from your point of view.

It was a good game, but if this is counted as an exploit, then i think charging down the wicket constantly and using close in fielders is up there with it. I can understand charging of spinners, but you don't see batsmen charging bowlers who bowl 95 plus every ball.

I think we can see from Flintoff's figure of 3/7 how effective my charging against him was. To repeat the only closer fielders I use on the offside were a second slip, a gully, a point and a short cover (I don't include a deep mid off as close by definition.) As I have previously stated, the standard ring field you use employs more close fielders (just not the short cover, who I don't think took more than two catches, if that).

I'm happy to stick to pre-defined rules though if that's what people want to do. ;)

Again, I appreciate your willingness to accommodate. I would want further agreement on it before considering, but personally, I don't think I'd be willing to stick around if you were to use wideline against me in the future, even if me quitting saw my name on any blacklist. I'd rather play fewer games rather than lots of games where that tactic is employed as I know I simply won't enjoy it with the latter. My sense of fair play is too integral to my enjoyment of the game and I'm afraid that tactic contravenes it.

And for the record that game against Earl was amazing. He had won i thought when he was 44/3, and then lost 3/4 wickets in an over or two. Amazing game, so close.

Agreed - it was an excellent contest that final phase of play aside. I do feel like I lost it rather than you winning it (which you definitely did in the first game), but you deserved the victory (which was still the most likely result IMO, even before the wideline) for another two superb fightbacks/recoveries. It's purely the manner of how the game ended that I have a problem with.

Right - I need a lie down after all that... reckon anybody will mind if I take a nap at my desk after having already wasted an hour or two of work time?

Last edited:
Well i can see we clearly played two different games Earl. :D

The field that i use in the early overs has no close in fielders, i use Attacking field 5 and 8 generally, i tend to avoid using custom fields, except in your game for two overs at the end.

Perfectly timed lofted shots should not be caught by close in fielders. Using a short cover is definitely an exploit within the game imo. I was not always aiming those shots through point. Short cover = cannot play shots through the offside generally. If i had fraps i could have shown you two instances of lofted perfect timing being caught.

You say i was bowling wide, but if i was bowling as wide as you say, then the timing meter would have been huge, and your charge shots would have been effective. The fact was my line was a tad wider than yellow. That meant it was light green, still not an easy shot to hit right with the execution meter perfected.

Maybe you should have a look and see, if i was bowling that wide its easy to put shots away as the timing meter for perfect becomes massive.

Also, i have played Stevie, and used the same field attacking 5 and 8 against him. He had no problems bisecting the offside field, all you have to do is time it. Stevie did not charge once in order to do this, he posted around 130. His opening partnership got to 50 as well from what i remember, it was not until i put the field back that i started to pick up wickets.

I wasn't talking about you packing the offside boundary edge, i said i used a similar field to you in that i had some close in fielders for those final two overs.

Sorry i got it wrong, it was not flintoff who you were charging, but either way it was not realistic. While using a default field that codies designed, with only two men on the leg side is realistic i think in an odi.

Maybe we should all just agree to use default fields, I'm happy with that. Using custom ones is always open to exploits like having lots of fielders close in or packing one side of the field.

hey guys
i have the game now
and very new to online play
can you please guide me
i have created my account
username : sunnykinger

i dont find any matches there
plz help

Gas, have you tried playing against a non-Englishman online? I'd be up for a game when I get it tomorrow or Thursday on PC. I'm not too sure how well the connection would be. My internet is decent, I download at about 400kbs but that might not be enough when playing across the globe.

Has anyone attempted and/or finished a 50 over game? What are the possible over limits anyway?

A 50 over game online would be awesome because it wouldn't be an all-out slog. You'd definitely need to play with a good person though with a good connection and set aside a lot of time.

Wont be easy to find anyone playing Cricket in the same week Madden is being released...

Gas, have you tried playing against a non-Englishman online? I'd be up for a game when I get it tomorrow or Thursday on PC. I'm not too sure how well the connection would be. My internet is decent, I download at about 400kbs but that might not be enough when playing across the globe.

Has anyone attempted and/or finished a 50 over game? What are the possible over limits anyway?

A 50 over game online would be awesome because it wouldn't be an all-out slog. You'd definitely need to play with a good person though with a good connection and set aside a lot of time.

Sure White, i'd be happy to give you a game. This game just does not seem to lag, even when you play someone on a below the standard type connection.

I'd love to play a 50 over game, you will need a couple of hours though.

I find i can settle into the game once i've had a few beers inside of me, in fact i almost seem to play better after my 4th can of stella.

Drop me a line as and when you get the game.

Last edited:
You won't whinge if I get a wicket or two?

;)

Give me a day or two to come to grips with the game (I have played the demo though) and I'll be up for one. If it's a 50 over game then I'm definitely more interested in playing proper cricket than finding exploits, even if it hurts my chances of winning.

You won't whinge if I get a wicket or two?

;)

Give me a day or two to come to grips with the game (I have played the demo though) and I'll be up for one. If it's a 50 over game then I'm definitely more interested in playing proper cricket than finding exploits, even if it hurts my chances of winning.

50 overs sounds great.

Slogging won't be such an option in that form as eventually, you will get out.

The field that i use in the early overs has no close in fielders, i use Attacking field 5 and 8 generally, i tend to avoid using custom fields, except in your game for two overs at the end.
I'm at work so haven't got got the game to hand - I'll check later on what close fielders it uses, but apart from the short cover (see my next reply) I don't think there's much difference. Personally I have no problem with the ring field; I was merely using it as a reply to your complaints about my field, which I believe is not dissimilar.

Perfectly timed lofted shots should not be caught by close in fielders. Using a short cover is definitely an exploit within the game imo. I was not always aiming those shots through point. Short cover = cannot play shots through the offside generally. If i had fraps i could have shown you two instances of lofted perfect timing being caught.
I'd probably agree that short cover is too effective in this game. I'd be prepared to agree to a ban on it's use. There's not way I can see could that you could ban point though; it's such a vital run saving position and featured in most, if not all, the default fields.

You say i was bowling wide, but if i was bowling as wide as you say, then the timing meter would have been huge, and your charge shots would have been effective. The fact was my line was a tad wider than yellow. That meant it was light green, still not an easy shot to hit right with the execution meter perfected.

Maybe you should have a look and see, if i was bowling that wide its easy to put shots away as the timing meter for perfect becomes massive.

That's related to where you were pitching the ball. With you angling it across the left handed batsmen from, I believe, the wider right hand bowling run up, it was ending up significantly wider than where the ball pitched; I don't believe the game engine takes that into account. To be honest, if you'd bowled that line on it's own I would not be so vehement in my opposition to it. My biggest issue is because you used it with the 9/0 offside field.

Also, i have played Stevie, and used the same field attacking 5 and 8 against him. He had no problems bisecting the offside field, all you have to do is time it. Stevie did not charge once in order to do this, he posted around 130. His opening partnership got to 50 as well from what i remember, it was not until i put the field back that i started to pick up wickets.
You might be right there - I'll have to go away and do some more practising. I fully admit that my batting isn't that great, which made your decision to use the extremely negative wideline tactic when I was there for the taking even more surprising. Anyway, that was purely me responding to your complaint about my success coming down the wicket.

I wasn't talking about you packing the offside boundary edge, i said i used a similar field to you in that i had some close in fielders for those final two overs.
That's where the similarity ended though. My 6/3 is a long way away from the 9/0 you were employing.

Sorry i got it wrong, it was not flintoff who you were charging, but either way it was not realistic. While using a default field that codies designed, with only two men on the leg side is realistic i think in an odi.

This is true that it isn't realistic, but that's because IRL the bowler would adjust his bowling line and vary his length; you barely varied your length at all until those last two deliveries against Siddle. Instead you simply continued to bowl the same way and so I feel I was within my rights to play the shot I was finding effective against that style of bowling. It wasn't like I was not giving you any opportunity to take wickets as the shots I was playing were risky; I certainly edged a few behind for you. You've got far more flexibility and options available as a bowler compared to a batsmen, so the onus is on you to combat any batsmen's tactic. I actually think this is largely a bowlers game, unlike BLIC2007 which definitely favoured the batsmen.

Maybe we should all just agree to use default fields, I'm happy with that. Using custom ones is always open to exploits like having lots of fielders close in or packing one side of the field.
I think that would be over zealous and not viable. If I'm getting hit square of the wicket on the offside, it seems crazy to have to move three or four other fielders to put in a deep point just because that's the only default which includes that option. (I'm probably exaggerating there, but you take my point). I think it would far more sensible to ban any positions we think are over powered which, as I've mentioned, is basically short cover IMO.

Thoughts guys?

Last edited:
Hey man I'm easy.

I think the short cover is possibly a good idea, nothing wrong with point though imo.

This has been blown out of proportion a little methinks, it is only a game after all. I wasn't going to bring it up, but noticed it was already being discussed when i logged on this morning. I found myself labelled a wide line player or something, and tagged on the 'unfair' list. :D

I cried a little inside this morning Earl. :p

I figured out the invites thing. You have to set up a non-ranked game.

I knew it, i just remembered why it worked now in my first game. I did post thos somewhere, no idea where though i'd had a few when i posted it.

Thanks Colin.

yeah I am in Canada, and I didn't see any players. I am on PC as well...

anyone from india interested in playing online can add me
username : sunnykinger

Users who are viewing this thread