PC MutliPlayer Match Up Thread

Hmarka: Thanks a lot for the heads up and for particularly being kind enough to take the time to PM me as well. If that works I'll be delighted - I'm almost daren't try it tonight now in case it works (in which case I'll be up all night possibly) or it doesn't (in which case I'll be disappointed again)

Sorry, no one probably cares, but Colin brought up the football.
I do - thanks for the heads up; I'm not sure I'd have checked the result before the highlights otherwise after hearing about Ferdinand's blunder.

Unfortunately I think barmyarmy is probably trying not to care about football atm though. Bad luck mate :( (That's not sarcasm - I honestly like seeing all the home nations doing well)

Last edited:
What about your seven fielders on the boundaries?? I didnt protest when you used that field.:p Anyway i agree with Nick_giff. From now on, we should stick to default fields only. That can surely stop wideline and this ultra aggressive field.

P.S: Earl, we want realistic matches, drop some catches for christs sake:D

i had only deployed deep square leg and wide third man during restrictions & and added long on&off with deep extra cover.....which are basic fields used in t20 cricket

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stop settings custom fields. Why? Because I won't put all my fielders on the offside, won't put all nine up close nor all on the boundary if we're playing them out in the fielding restrictions (not that I'd ever play with them off in the first place).

I'm even quite happy not to use the overpowered short cover position if my opponent will do like wise.

I don't see why I should have my hands tied because other people will use stupid fields which I would never even consider using.

EarlCG added 2 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

i had only deployed deep square leg and wide third man during restrictions & and added long on&off with deep extra cover.....which are basic fields used in t20 cricket

I believe you mate. I wouldn't trust AngryPixel further than I could hit him with Ben Hilfenhaus...

Oh... actually, on second thoughts, that was quite far. :D Let's say "I wouldn't trust AngryPixel further than he could hit James Hopes" instead shall we? ;) That was straight into slips hands or the keepers gloves most of the time...

Sorry for gloating a bit guys - I wouldn't do it normally - but for Angry I feel I need to make a special exception

Last edited:
I don't think we need to ban custom fields, but some common sense is needed if you're going to use them. At least try and keep them fairly realistic. For most of the match against NICK_GIFF I employed a custom field (as did he), but I'm sure he would agree neither of us did anything silly. The closest fielders either of us had were slips, and they didn't last long! :D Custom fields allow more precise adjustments than having to change the field completely to get someone exactly where you want.

10 over game setup if anyone's interested :)

How do you do that when you change the length of deliveries (like in 07)?
I'm expecting a length ball and it's a yorker and ditto for a bouncer.
Good game - I told you I suck at batting. So hard to get it away with the packed off-side field.

barmyarmy added 2 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

Unfortunately I think barmyarmy is probably trying not to care about football atm though. Bad luck mate :( (That's not sarcasm - I honestly like seeing all the home nations doing well)

I was brought up in London so was actually watching the Holland game not the Norway one.

barmyarmy added 4 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Well I'm up for another game. I'll set up a T20.
My firewall thinks that AC09 is connecting on UDP 17 and TCP 6...

I was brought up in London so was actually watching the Holland game not the Norway one.

Good, good. Dreadful lapses of concentration contrasted by a great finish from Defoe. Haven't seen much of Carlton Cole before - looked handy, particularly with Heskey (at 31) approaching veteran status.

Back on to AC2009, that's the first time you've played anyone except the_gas isn't it? Did you try ChrisW before you were successful on this occasion?

My firewall thinks that AC09 is connecting on UDP 17 and TCP 6...

Are you saying you doubt that? Which firewall are you using out of interest - I've not previous come across one reporting the port numbers programs are trying to access.

I'm up for a game if anybody is still around.

Last edited:
I'm using the Windows 7 firewall but I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
Haven't tried ChrisW before; bowled ok and batting lousy. I really want to know how he disguises the length.

Hmmm... I downloaded the Win7 RC but never got around to installing it so can't advise. (Got a cheap pre-order copy on the way in a couple of months.)

I'm intrigued about that cursor deception you described as well. I seem to remember in one of my early games (I think it might even have been against ChrisW as well) the cursor seeming to pop up in a different places than it was originally, without showing it travel between the two points. I think that was my first online game infact, hence why I didn't think much of it at the time, nor since, until you reminded me just now.

You up for attempting a game now or off to bed?

@EarlCG - can't connect to you and vice versa. Wierd as you were one of the people I actually could connect to in 2007.

just had a tie
playing with mannu
:laugh
loving the online experience.Only problem is that I cannot connect to a game..i have to create everytime
cricket2009200908130508.png

I'll attempt one but I can't see the connection working.

Nah - you're right, it doesn't work. I've definitely forwarded the port (after trying it once I realised at that I'd forwarded the port but not added the exception to my router firewall, but no change after that). It wouldn't make sense that I could host against five other people if ports were the problem anyway.

@EarlCG - can't connect to you and vice versa. Wierd as you were one of the people I actually could connect to in 2007.
Well back then I was using a completely different PC (built this one 10 months ago), a different ISP, possibly a different model of router and living 137 miles north of where I am now. Not to mention this is a different game ;)

I'm afraid that rationale doesn't quite apply with this stuff.

EarlCG added 3 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Open Port Check Tool

It doesn't show as being open here but I can't change any more settings. I've configured the router and firewall.

Make sure you haven't got the game running - I got a negative result with it running, but fine once I exited it. This tool helped me discover that.

Users who are viewing this thread