PC version 1.20.1 released

Agree with most of what you've said but couldn't disagree with this part more strongly.
My basis of comparison is really my ongoing career spinner, which I play on Pro so I can bat as well as bowl - there was a point after 1.14.2 that I pretty much stopped playing outside of online play, simply because of how unrewarding things were feeling. One of the 1.15 updates certainly tipped it back for me, that's why I'd say it is improved.

I haven't had a chance yet to talk with those working on that area of the game about what the complexities are in that area and what the scope for changes would be.

I'll try to find out.

Agree with most of what you've said but couldn't disagree with this part more strongly.

From the bowling to AI perspective I've noticed no positive change in edges: generally they seem to occur at the same frequency as before but now go to the keeper rather than slips by a higher margin than previously.

This sounds how it was before the first load of patches were released last year. Then Big Ant released a patch that caused the ball to edge in more directions. It would be a shame if it has reverted back.

In a way I'm glad the patch hasn't made it's way to the consoles just yet. Last night I had an edge that resulted in a diving catch at point. It's moments like that that make the game great but they are few and far between and ruined by the issues that should really have been prioritised over rather than adding extra shots.

The issues mentioned although not quite game breaking ruin the bowling experience to the point it's not worth playing longer formats on veteran or above. But batting wasn't ruined by the lack of a slog sweep. It is however by the constant changing of over/around the wicket by the bowler, something else that has never been addressed even though it has been a problem since the games release.

The game is crashing a lot after the update. Had 3-4 crashes while playing career mode in 30 minutes

My basis of comparison is really my ongoing career spinner, which I play on Pro so I can bat as well as bowl - there was a point after 1.14.2 that I pretty much stopped playing outside of online play, simply because of how unrewarding things were feeling. One of the 1.15 updates certainly tipped it back for me, that's why I'd say it is improved.

I haven't had a chance yet to talk with those working on that area of the game about what the complexities are in that area and what the scope for changes would be.

I'll try to find out.

Well funny you say that I'll concede one improvement on edges: yes I'm getting more with a spinner now than previously, but seam is no change but for the ratio change in keeper to slips which is actually negative.

There was a stage during the beta where edges improved drastically i had about 9 fly off in all angles.

However that occured once. The magical moments that exist in the game occur far to rarely. Its those moments that set this game wayyyyyy out in front of anything else before it. Therefor a shame it happens once in a blue moon!

Great discussion on bowling experience in DB14.
I have played few test matches and i totally agree that bowling can get monotonous.

And you dont feel like you used any skill to get wickets.
  • I can swing the ball both ways - InSwing, OutSwing. I do notice movement off the pitch but then the
    AI manages to get behind the ball even at 140 kmph. All the time. Well 99% of the time.
  • So after trying Swing bowling for a while, i try to vary things a little. A Straight ball, vary the length, Swing it both ways, even a frigging slower ball - In order for something to happen!
    But then Test cricket is not played like that. You want to keep swinging it , keep swinging it until you get one delivery right, which induces an edge. That is the eureka moment for a bowler. We hardly get that here.
  • How many times have we seen this on TV - A batsman plays with a straight bat, but the ball deviates just enuf to miss the edge by a fraction. A ripper of a delivery. I hardly get those here. Occasionally the AI misses the ball but by a large margin.
  • Do you guys think having a button configured to control the amount of swing a bowler gets, would help?
    Ofcourse this button will help only if conditions are favorable for swing. This will also give us something more to try.
  • Spin - I enjoy Spin bowling in this game more. But i do feel there is an inconsistency when it comes to RPMs achieved to the amount of turn we see visually, even on a crumbly pitch. The turn is faint, ofcourse we dont want to see exaggerated turn every ball, but then the higher levels of RPM's should lead to balls turning more.
I cant even imagine, how amazing DBC 16 would be once the bowling is got right.
Also i hope testers at Big Ant play Test Cricket! They need to play Test Cricket to really feel the pain here, when it comes to Bowling!

Just had the AI, a new batsman mind faced less than 20 balls, low confidence, step outside off stump to an inswinging Yorker that would have "umpires call" clipped the off stump and play an aggressive leg clip for six.

Waqar Younis would have hung himself if real life was like that.

[QUOTE="kamyFC, post: 2968494, member: 160965"
  • How many times have we seen this on TV - A batsman plays with a straight bat, but the ball deviates just enuf to miss the edge by a fraction. A ripper of a delivery. I hardly get those here. Occasionally the AI misses the ball but by a large margin.[/QUOTE]
Do you play with reduced swing at all? It doesn't sound like it, as you would get plenty of fractional play and misses.

Do you play with reduced swing at all? It doesn't sound like it, as you would get plenty of fractional play and misses.
Even if we do play with the skills set done in the playtest , there are few ball which we feel like "awww" how did that miss but majority of times you do know that the batsman is gonna come to a line according the ball we are going to bowl and miss it by a margin to the WK...

-Bowl way outside off stump, AI comes to that line and misses instead of a simple leave which would have made it all more realistic.
-Bowl inswinging yorker leg stump missing, batsman comes outside leg stump and misses the ball to make it like a "close call"..Really!!! Instead of a leg glance...
-Bowl short then most of them go through the bat and no effect of bowling a good ball, not rewarding.

The problem is most of the occasions it feels AI "knows" whats coming even before the ball is bowled...

All this talk bout not feeling satisfied! And then i do this!!!!

Oh! Well, lets just assume i just hit the cracks! :)
And i have no idea, what the AI was thinking!
So much gap between bat and ball.
Maybe it was assuming that 'Hit crack' = exaggerated movement. So play for that!

And in that game - after first morning session.
Yorkshire were 54 / 4 after 30 overs against Pune Warriors. That was sleep inducing batting by the AI (yes, i did lower skills! Couple of usual run outs!)
But then the Angelo Mathews was getting some consistent exaggerated in swing, away from the left hander. That was fun. Maybe it was the cracks on crumbly pitch.
Wayne Parnell was not getting any swing at all. Strange some bowlers can use the conditions and others cannot.

And This. Spinner hitting the crack and getting an edge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread