Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Been dealing with idiots on Twitter today saying bouncers should be banned. I hope on here, as cricket fans, no one will go down that route. This is clearly a freak accident and I hope he makes a full recovery. Think of the number of bouncers that are bowled around the world every day. Injuries are rare. Part of the reason why we are all so shocked this has happened to Hughes is because it is a rare situation.

bouncers being legal and the ability to bowl at the batsman is one of the few advantages that the bowling side has at the minute: if you got rid of that then the sort of bowling that you saw Mitchell Johnson do all last winter against England and South Africa would be gone which would be a crime.

There needs to be an investigation into helmet designs to see if there would be a way of making them safer without greatly hindering vision. The impression I have is that there isn't anything simple that they could do, but having people look into the thing to see if anything is possible wouldn't do anyone any harm!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Just a horrible, freak accident really. Great that he's getting the best care possible and that it was on the scene for him. Let's just hope he can pull through.

Part of the reason why we are all so shocked this has happened to Hughes is because it is a rare situation.
And the fact that it's a batsman too. You expect tail enders to get hit, but a guy like Hughes can certainly handle himself with the bat. Just his unlucky day, unfortunately.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
There needs to be an investigation into helmet designs to see if there would be a way of making them safer without greatly hindering vision. The impression I have is that there isn't anything simple that they could do, but having people look into the thing to see if anything is possible wouldn't do anyone any harm!
I agree that it can do no harm, but he seemed to get hit after turning his head to play the shot, i.e. it hit the back of his head/neck. Not much you can do for that really. It's like when you get hit behind the pad on your leg, it's not designed to cover that due to the way you should be batting, but it does still happen.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
That's the thing: turning away from something flying at you is a natural human reaction yet in cricket it is the dumbest thing that you can do because all of the protective equipment that you have is designed to protect you from things from the front.

I haven't watched the video nor do I plan on doing so at least until I know that he's stabilised slightly: I've no interest in watching a video of what turns out to be someone dying on a cricket pitch (not that I'm saying that's going to happen, but we have to accept right now that it is sadly a possibility...)

Yuvi.

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
What will poor Sean be possibly thinking after all this! :noway

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If people are sure enough that they feel Abbott was faultless, then they really should stop talking about him and just move on, wish for Hughes. Everyone could see clearly that Sean hadn't bowled deliberately to make Hughes harmed, so no reason to describe him over and over to make him feel down.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
he was using old helmet

Phil_Hughes-helmet_3117741b.jpg

Phil Hughes latest: Helmet manufacturer Masuri to study footage of incident that left batsman in critical condition - Telegraph

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Been dealing with idiots on Twitter today saying bouncers should be banned. I hope on here, as cricket fans, no one will go down that route. This is clearly a freak accident and I hope he makes a full recovery. Think of the number of bouncers that are bowled around the world every day. Injuries are rare. Part of the reason why we are all so shocked this has happened to Hughes is because it is a rare situation.

Agree. Whilst serious injuries like this oe would have been fatal in a by-gone era they are also thanks to modern protactive equipment are very rare. Once in a generational. Sean Abbott is in my view feeling the same way Peter Lever was when a bouncer he bowled hit Ewan Chatfield back in 1975

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wishing Hughes a fast recovery.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Its a sad news, Philip Hughes passes away. May his soul rest in peace. Indeed a black day in cricket

Users who are viewing this thread