Phillip Hughes

WHEN?

• Total voters

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
All the talk about Watson replacing him is laughable. 2 bad matches and everyone has forgotten what he did to SA and in county cricket this year.

+2

It's laughable how much everyone is worrying - Oh Noeezz Watson must play, McDonald must play1!11 - next we'll be saying Cam White needs to play.

Just get off his back, he'll come good ffs. If he doesn't - get him back to domestic cricket for the summer so he can gain form with NSW. We should be fine with someone else for this summer.

Me wanting him to play for NSW may or may not be for my own personal reasons of wanting NSW to win everything this year instead of for Hughes development... :spy

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I like that he is weak against the Short ball. As an opener, it means bowlers are banging the new ball short against you when they should be pitching it up and getting it to swing. If he survives the short ball barrage and gets his eye in, then the short ball isn't a problem and the full ball isn't swinging. It's genius I tell you!

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Philip Hughes good talent but perhaps not giving his best in ashes surely it is ashes pressure.Watson replacing him no suggestion all on australia cricket board but watson can be suprise package because of his batting techinuqe and good bowling.All rounder replacing batsmen decission can be in favour of australia they can produce some great cricket.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
Yes, Hussey was mainly an opener for Western Australia. He has had lots of experience there. He started his international career opening for Australia.

Is McDonald bats 5, we would have the weakest batting line up in the world, minnows aside.

Say Hussey is opening with Katich, I think we should run with this.

1. Hussey
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. Watson
7. Haddin

That's clearly our best batting line up without Hughes.

I would agree, but that's also a weak looking opening partnership. If Hussey was in 2006 form, then it might not be a concern. But to move him from No.4, where he has been struggling, to open wouldn't be a great idea.

To me, I think Hughes needs to be kept in, if only for the lack of viable alternatives in the squad.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Deserves to stay in the team, but needs to learn some sort of a leg side shot. Even if it was a jab. Something that would help him against the short ball. He did it in South Africa, I'm sure he can do it here.

chainsnatcher

School Cricketer
Instead of voting for "Next Series",I accidentally Voted "Never".Anyway I believe he has lots of cricket left in him.Remember Matty Hayden made his debut when he was 22 years old and wasn't impressive in the International level till the Bangladesh tour.This guy being only 20 and looking at his performances in domestic cricket,I feel he has a long career ahead of him.

But he won't really be a threat to England at the moment....Seems to have a rather ineffective technique...Needs to go back to school and correct it before its too late.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Philip Hughes good talent but perhaps not giving his best in ashes surely it is ashes pressure.Watson replacing him no suggestion all on australia cricket board but watson can be suprise package because of his batting techinuqe and good bowling.All rounder replacing batsmen decission can be in favour of australia they can produce some great cricket.
Lol, your posts are just too funny man.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
^Nothing funny in that fact could be you dont like watson.^;)

dajesmac

Club Captain
All the talk about Watson replacing him is laughable. 2 bad matches and everyone has forgotten what he did to SA and in county cricket this year.

Dale Steyn wa sall over him though, he got lucky as. Plus the county stuff was in the second division. I don't like him much.

Watson is actually improving unbelievably as a batsman, he's worth a go.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Rubbish. If teams are still bowling short to Ricky Ponting after 15 years then they'll manage to bowl plenty outside Hughes' off stump.

Not good bowlers who are bowling well. You could even stay around the wicket to him because he stays leg-side of the ball, you could cramp him for room.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Prince Phailip will still smash 2 or more centuries in the series I reckon. It's daft to suggest dropping him now.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well the good thing is he's been matched by his opposite boy wonder - Ravi Bopara. Both of them have been poor.

For those complaining Phil was overrated at the beginning of the series, there were more than a few Pommies snorting Ravi-dust too...

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I would agree, but that's also a weak looking opening partnership. If Hussey was in 2006 form, then it might not be a concern. But to move him from No.4, where he has been struggling, to open wouldn't be a great idea.

To me, I think Hughes needs to be kept in, if only for the lack of viable alternatives in the squad.

I think you missed the point.

I know Hughes has to be retained, but if he was dropped, as I said, this is clearly our best batting line up without Hughes.

When Hughes is in that line up, it is much better.

karnog

International Cricketer
Well if Hughes struggles like he did in the first innings then drop him. Judging by the reports he struggled against short pitch bowling from a mediocre county side. If Hughes played a loose shot then fair enough. I would still keep him. Now i'm not so sure. You might as well pitch it short and at his body and he'll get out. One more test i reckon. Can't ignore SA

Bloody hell Johnson is slowly turning into our own Harmison. We keep with the mantra of that South African series and end up picking him. He needs to prove he has form. And not a crappy glimpse but a lot of form.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
He's doing so well against Nott's today he's currently on 60 odd

Users who are viewing this thread