Phillip Hughes

WHEN?

• Total voters

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Rubbish. If teams are still bowling short to Ricky Ponting after 15 years then they'll manage to bowl plenty outside Hughes' off stump.

But Ponting can score all around the wicket. Hughes from what I've seen has one area of scoring and if the bowling is even half decent they can pretty much slow him down.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The point he was making is despite knowing Ponting is one of the best pullers this game has seen, bowlers still give him gift bouncers to hit for 6.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
The point he was making is despite knowing Ponting is one of the best pullers this game has seen, bowlers still give him gift bouncers to hit for 6.

But it's a lot easier for a bowler to slip up and bowl the odd short delivery to Ponting as he can play it from anywhere. Hughes on the other hand doesn't like it when it's bowled at his body, thus making the area for slip-ups a lot bigger.

I think that makes sense

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hughes can play his cut shot pretty close to himself and on any length. When the right armers are staying over the wicket to him they have the natural slant away from him which is right in his zone. Of course if they move around the wicket that takes out that problem and it is one thing I mentioned Hughes needs to work on over the 10 day break he had.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Hughes can play his cut shot pretty close to himself and on any length. When the right armers are staying over the wicket to him they have the natural slant away from him which is right in his zone. Of course if they move around the wicket that takes out that problem and it is one thing I mentioned Hughes needs to work on over the 10 day break he had.

But don't you think playing the cut shot close to his body is also fairly dangerous. I've seen him get out a few times playing like that.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It would be dangerous for a normal batter but Hughes is basically setup to play that shot. He may pick the odd ball that is too close to cut but so far he has been pretty good at picking the right ball to cut.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
imo, he looks like the batting equivalent of broad as a bowler.

I don't actually see what playing him at test level is going to achieve until he irons out the mess his technique is. He's obviously built for success mentally, which in test cricket is a huge factor, but everything needs to be sorted out, and there's little point doing that at an international level because the harsh truth is he may not be able to do it. If he does though, should do very well.

Broad is the same. No weapons, needs to go to the county game and see if he can learn how to swing it and control it, then it serves a purpose playing him internationally. Just because he's 22, putting him test cricket will not guarantee he develops an outswinger later.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The dumped Australian opener has decided to spend a week in the subcontinent on his way home from the Ashes to get some coaching, a bit of expert advice and also to talk to prospective Indian Premier League sides.

While in India, Hughes also hopes to have a lunch date with Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar and to tap his brain for some batting hints. The young Australian arrived in England amidst a blaze of publicity and then hit four county centuries.

Hughes' quest begins in India - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

I love the way Hughes handles things, so mature and always proactive.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Very professional, I hope he comes back a champ, just to stick it up evo.

Some Guy....

School Cricketer
He's twenty and is already a top first class batsmen. He won't improve just playing first class cricket anymore, and as seen against South Africa he can more than certainly cut it at test level. He just needs a bit of coaching against the shorter balls. With that down he'll be one of the side's most valuable assets.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Exactly. I also think there was a bit of bad form stuck in there as well as all that. He'll average higher than 'god' and Ponting IMO .

Users who are viewing this thread