Playing Cricket vs. Watching Cricket

Cricket games should replicate more of...

• the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • the experience of watching cricket, being entertained by the action as a spectator

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
The game is far better with no indicators of what is coming. Its too arcade like having ball rings, pitch markers, etc. Lets play the game the right way.

..Amen!!

Relax pal just some banter. In all honesty I would recommend playing with no hud assistance as it just feels alot more real. Connects you with the game better. Its a more rewarding feeling when you score runs.

I feel where 2k is going wrong is how they are focusing on the watching side of the sport rather than the playing. I would much prefer amazing gameplay and some nice features over bascially watching a movie with the occasional interactions. DBC14 did the playing side unbelievably well compared to past cricket games but i think they still need to polish up the viewing cricket side, which is why i think, with so much room to improve on an already fantastic game, DBC 17 will be an absolute ripper

I remember mickeymerren telling us that there is possibility of including the realistic animation of wrist and finger positions with respect to type of delivery in a future iteration as the extra memory available on the current gen will allow them to do so. Let's see if we are getting that. In that case it would be much easier to play naturally than pre-meditate.

Although in my suggestions document on DBC14 I had talked about implementing a design similar to the one available in Practice Mode...the slowing down of time to read the ball. Ofcourse the amount of time can vary depending on the skill level of the batsman. For example, Don Bradman would have the most amount of time while a 16yr old bowler would have no such slowing down of time. I believe even @MattW once said something similar to this. I guess.

yes there need to be done something to eliminate premeditation, the timing gets late if u play on merit of ball

I would like to see real alike cricket like on t.v with thrills...... Playing isn't on even debate for Christ sake.

I thought English was the required language for this forum?

I think fifa has something along the lines of it plays against you in the first game and changes the difficulty throughout the match adapting to your skill level, and then sets/suggests your level. I don't know if this sort of thing would be possible in cricket, but certainly the AI can take into account where you're hitting the ball or scoring well and either change the field or bowling plan.

I think fifa has something along the lines of it plays against you in the first game and changes the difficulty throughout the match adapting to your skill level, and then sets/suggests your level. I don't know if this sort of thing would be possible in cricket, but certainly the AI can take into account where you're hitting the ball or scoring well and either change the field or bowling plan.
MLB The Show does this, you start off at rookie level and based on how good you are going the level goes up automatically.The level is always displayed when you are at bat so you know what level you are on.

Nearly all of EA sports games does what you've mentioned, especially Madden and FIFA. But there's a twist... the AI changes the difficulty level of various aspects based on how good or bad you are at the game but it doesn't adapt to your style of play. E.g., in Madden, I'm quite good at passing the ball, decent at pass defense and atrocious at running the ball and run defense. So the game will set the difficulty as follows... Passing - 'Madden' difficulty level, Pass Defense - 'All Pro', Run D - 'Pro' and Running the ball - 'Rookie' level. What it means is that the difficulty of executing various aspects of the gameplay will change but the AI will not adapt the way I play. If I love to throw the ball every down, AI will not go in a Dime formation or anticipate throws. It's just that it will be difficult for me to complete a pass as I'm passing the ball on 'Madden' level.

Adaptive AI is more about learning from the user and adapting accordingly (hence the term 'machine learning'). In cricket's parlance, say I score 80% of my runs via cover drive, the AI should put more fielders on the off-side and change the length so I'm forced out of my comfort zone and look for other areas/shots to score runs. Another example would be that over the last, say 10 innings, I've struggled against left arm spinners, the AI brings in a left arm spinner earlier than expected when I'm at the crease. I don't want just the difficulty level to increase so it's tougher to execute the shots while batting, but for AI to make decisions in terms of field setting and bowling changes to give me a tougher game. And that's why there's a correlation among Adaptive AI, Pattern Recognition/Matching and sufficient data to support the same and tweaking the logic as user changes his/her style of play.

This is also a good read, im not sure how many people want good AI that gives you relaistic experience to a cricket match vs a adaptive AI that play you instead of the team its against!

Ask a Game Dev — Game Development Myths: Players Want Smart Artificial Intelligence

while i dont like or agree the point in this article about giving ai more power i do think the facts on adaptive AI sort of hold a bit even in today game!

This is also a good read, im not sure how many people want good AI that gives you relaistic experience to a cricket match vs a adaptive AI that play you instead of the team its against!

Ask a Game Dev — Game Development Myths: Players Want Smart Artificial Intelligence

while i dont like or agree the point in this article about giving ai more power i do think the facts on adaptive AI sort of hold a bit even in today game!

Read the article but don't think a FPS or a shooter genre compares with sports sim games. I'm not much of a FPS fan and I mostly limit myself to sports sims (Tennis, Golf, Cricket, Soccer and NFL sims) and I can say some of my most enjoyable gameplay experiences have been when the AI outsmarted and beat me. I would love AI to be 400/3 on a flattish surface or skittle me for 130 odd on a seaming paradise, as long as the game doesn't script the outcome based on pitch conditions. If I play poorly and execute a poor shot, I would expect to be dismissed. As long as I control the outcome with my gameplay execution, I would be more than happy for the AI to be smart and competitive.

Read the article but don't think a FPS or a shooter genre compares with sports sim games. I'm not much of a FPS fan and I mostly limit myself to sports sims (Tennis, Golf, Cricket, Soccer and NFL sims) and I can say some of my most enjoyable gameplay experiences have been when the AI outsmarted and beat me. I would love AI to be 400/3 on a flattish surface or skittle me for 130 odd on a seaming paradise, as long as the game doesn't script the outcome based on pitch conditions. If I play poorly and execute a poor shot, I would expect to be dismissed. As long as I control the outcome with my gameplay execution, I would be more than happy for the AI to be smart and competitive.
this is where the fight comes in of whether to have an adaptive AI or a more realistic AI

Users who are viewing this thread