Playing Cricket vs. Watching Cricket

Cricket games should replicate more of...

• the experience of playing cricket, being on the field with ball or bat in hand

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • the experience of watching cricket, being entertained by the action as a spectator

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
Sorry off topic but...

That thread about an early assist marker grkrama,is technically premeditating. The only logical answer to that would be a button control scheme for batting, by simplifying the decision making process into two actions for the one button eg. Point LAS midwicket..push x button and.. bam!! pull shot to boundary, next ball half volley outside off spin ya LAS to cover... press ya square button and..bam!! front foot cover drive through the gap and to the boundary

Sorry off topic but...

That thread about an early assist marker grkrama,is technically premeditating. The only logical answer to that would be a button control scheme for batting, by simplifying the decision making process into two actions for the one button eg. Point LAS midwicket..push x button and.. bam!! pull shot to boundary, next ball half volley outside off spin ya LAS to cover... press ya square button and..bam!! front foot cover drive through the gap and to the boundary

i personally think the best solution is a pre-release "flash" that indicates length, to help with footwork

But thats premeditating imo blockerdave,and im really really against that.

Is there a thread like, "Analog vs button"? Couldn't find one..

Last edited:
Is your game always that choppy or is it your recording software?

If you're on PC I'd recommend grabbing the fearsome tweak mod on the downloads board, you'll get even better wickets then the ones you've posted.

no i just shared i play on xbox
thanks

Sorry off topic but...

I guess you haven't really read the thread in full, It only flashes the length slightly when the bowler is in his delivery stride like blocker mentioned, this is something that happens in real life as well every cricketer will tell you if a bowler releases a delivery early its a short one and late its a full one so something they also pick in delivery stride! It only frees you up to choose your foot, so this gives me time to play with shot selection with triggers as well as direction, you still have to pick the delivery direction, type and pace!

This will also help get the batters EYE thing in game, so that this picking the delivery length can vary with player according to skill and form, for ex sachin will pick it early and correctly while zaheer can wont!

this can be even expanded more depending on player form and skill, for example, cook should pick spin easily, but struggle against say real fast quicks at-least till he say scratches his confidence meter up! etc
even environment say a MSD can get going from start in Indian pitches but in swinging pitches he would take a lot more time to settle to start picking the deliveries and would struggle early!

It will add a whole new dimension to play while expanding the current analog system to be maintained!

this post by @Toecrusher sums it up better, though i would limit the info to just length and only say if the batsman has really got his eye in and is smashing it around with high confidence and large skill i would add second info bit on type of delivery!

Building on the suggestion of the OP with something I had suggested a while back in another thread...

I propose a method which tries to bring batsman assists into the game, but doing so in a manner that is reflective of cricket in real life. For instance, the best batsman in the world can read bowlers, pick the length early, and have 'time' to play the ball, so how about this:
  • Batsman assists will be limited to one piece of information about length (short, full, pitched up), and one piece of information about type of delivery (inswinger, leg break, slower ball etc...)
  • The ability of a batsman to 'read' the delivery will depend upon his average, confidence, form, and generally time spent in the middle. So in general, if someone's on a 100, they should be able to pick up the length and delivery type much quicker than someone who has just come in to the crease.
  • The greater the average/confidence/form, the greater the level of assistance, both in terms of information on the ball, as well as the 'advance warning time' at which that info is presented. So for instance an average batsman batting on 0 will have no assistance (depending on form/confidence etc.), on 25 will get information on delivery type x seconds in advance, on 50 will get info on delivery type and length 1.5x seconds in advance, and on a 100 will get info on delivery type and length 2x seconds in advance.
  • For tailenders, it will be much harder to get the assistance, and they will have to rely on their eye to bat for much longer than a batsman....as in 4x as much confidence/form/time at the crease will be necessary to get the same level of assitance as a batsman. This reflects reality, as tailenders in general dont know how to 'read' slower balls, outswingers, googlys etc. out of a bowlers hand like a batsman would.
  • The ability of the bowlers plays a part in this as well. Batsman assists should be more disguised/delayed the better the bowler is, and depending on their form and confidence as well.
The above will mean that when batting we will stop sticking to a few basic pre-meditated 'bread and butter' shots, and use the full array of shots that the game has to offer.

Also, if implemented well (some sort of sliding scale/matrix setup in the programming), would encourage the right cricketing behaviours all around (reward for building an innings or being in good form, difficulties in batting with tailenders or bowling with partimers etc.), and add another touch of realism to the game.

Last edited:
Whenever someone mentions broadcast cam I immediately picture a kid playing on a cricket game from the 90's on an old school PC, using a keyboard and sitting way too close the screen. Two words: 'backwards' and 'unhealthy'.

To quote David Brent, "Nothing ever changes by staying the same". If you want to play a game designed to be played in broadcast cam then stick to the games that came before DBC14. Or, you can embrace the innovation. You don't get a new girlfriend and wish she was like your ex; you accept her for what she is and learnt to love her for that. Unless you're mental and are obsessed with your ex that is.

Be open-minded. There's nothing worse than someone who is narrow-minded and can't bear to embrace positive change.

i personally think the best solution is a pre-release "flash" that indicates length, to help with footwork

This. It's the wrong thread, but tying it into the topic to feel like you're playing cricket the length indication needs to be the ball/hand of the bowler. NOT on the pitch. My solution (a while back, @ethybubs go find it please) was for the ball to "glow" very briefly at the delivery point.

When you bat in cricket, you pick up in subtleties in action, release, footwork and gait of the bowler as they run in, which your brain can determine length reasonably easy and quickly. Since the simulation is unlikely to replicate all that the best course is to put the focus/guidance on the ball itself to keep you watching it.

...as an aside, after playing the game for as long as I have I seem to have no issue picking length and I think at this point muscle memory and practice have taken over. Granted, shouldn't probably take as long as it has but even playing online against Matt or versus the AI the old adage of "watch the ball" works just fine without any additional aids for me now.

I would say the same to given that it has been sometime since that post, and after the patches and more time into dbc of now picking length isn't much of an issue, especially now that there are front foot square drives which aid in being forgiving incase you do misread the length occasionally while going square! Apart from sweep, scoop and advance shots i dont feel there is much need to premeditate of now with dbc14.

I would also say post the latest patches the game slowed down a bit compared to pc release days! I would say 150kph feels like 135kph of the early days, 135 certainly feels 120ish i guess this has also aided quite a bit with batting being easier in dbc post patches!

Another thing related to batting experience which will aid is moving the batting window abit more to give player time to judge, the problem hasnt always been as much about picking but more about having to do it in a very early narrowed time window!

Something worth re-quoting

've said it before and I still think it's true : you could react to a pitch marker more quickly and effectively than the ball circle, and it's also actually more realistic, as it's giving you the knowledge a batsman gets in real life at the moment of release in it's simplest possible form.

Even so, I would have absolutely zero problem picking a shot to 95mph deliveries with the current speed and no markers on at all, if the game would just let me make the shot input when the delivery is halfway finished rather than literally a fraction of a second out of the bowlers hand. This remains the major obstacle to fun batting, for me. You don't have to pick your shot in real life until the ball has actually travelled far enough for you to be able to get a good read on it, and as long as DBC forces you to make a decision in the first 5 yards then it's just too much of a fundamental difference to feel the same.

I think that's my main source of frustration really. I'm a better bat in real life than I am on DBC. The bowling looks slow and very hittable on screen if I had a real bat in my hand, but my DBC batsman responds to my controller input so goddamn slowly it's like he's got Parkinsons.

ya the thing is more than the speed at which it comes to you, the latency that you mentioned between us giving input and the player reacting and also its un changeability once entered.

though i wouldn't want pitch marker back by any means this is an improvement, just that it doesn't completely do what it sets out to do, that's make you watch the ball.

I really felt it when i played without markers, as you can see in those videos my timing and ability to pick length improved a lot more.

The thing with this request is not because its a very important thing like fielding or drives going in air, but have read that their working on some sort of slowing mechanism, think this would be better and also help a lot in no circle marker mode.

If just this window can be adjusted i think playing it would be a joy to play, especially in the no hud mode!

That said i would like the length flash feature mainly for the ability to have it as a gameplay element in individualising player skill and experience!

The game is far better with no indicators of what is coming. Its too arcade like having ball rings, pitch markers, etc. Lets play the game the right way.

The game is far better with no indicators of what is coming. Its too arcade like having ball rings, pitch markers, etc. Lets play the game the right way.

So using features that were specifically developed to assist isn't 'the right way?'

So using features that were specifically developed to assist isn't 'the right way?'

In general yes, but in DBC14's case for batting apart from ball trail the other hud options arent helpful, especially the circle marker around the ball, it takes your attention way off the ball because your brain is trying to interpret the color and then interpret color to length all the while you should be reading the line and judging the ball, playing without it certainly gives some ms extra that actually make it easier as well as better to play, if you are coming of circle at first it will take some time to get used to, especially the ball may seem small but once you are used to you will never go back to have those ugly circles thrown at you! The batting also feels a bit more natural!

It was more of a comment that batting was designed to either use, or not use assists. There isn't an objective 'right way' (unlike the broadcast camera where the developer has literally said batting wasn't designed to be used with that camera)

In general yes, but in DBC14's case for batting apart from ball trail the other hud options arent helpful, especially the circle marker around the ball, it takes your attention way off the ball because your brain is trying to interpret the color and then interpret color to length all the while you should be reading the line and judging the ball, playing without it certainly gives some ms extra that actually make it easier as well as better to play, if you are coming of circle at first it will take some time to get used to, especially the ball may seem small but once you are used to you will never go back to have those ugly circles thrown at you! The batting also feels a bit more natural!
Sorry I know this is in wrong thread but @grkrama create a thread and just post those awesome gifs.They are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread