You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
From Reddit:

I resonate with this feeling. I mean if I was incharge of regulating fuel prices, even I would hesitate to bring it down simply because the public seems to have adjusted themselves to it. Why fix something that isn't broken?
It funny as to how people are okay with everything that BJP is doing. They are okay with the corruption (across the country, state BJP units), they are okay with the price hikes of petrol/diesel/cooking gas, they are not bothered with Rupee devaluation against the dollars. They are not affected by inflation at all. And unemployment which is highest in 45 yrs is not even the primary issue among the youths.

Agreed people wanted change in 2014, is this the change that they wanted?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It funny as to how people are okay with everything that BJP is doing. They are okay with the corruption (across the country, state BJP units), they are okay with the price hikes of petrol/diesel/cooking gas, they are not bothered with Rupee devaluation against the dollars. They are not affected by inflation at all. And unemployment which is highest in 45 yrs is not even the primary issue among the youths.

In 2014, they wanted a change and got it. I have to admit, I did vote for BJP ,but come next year- I am seriously contemplating NOTA.

The majority of the BJP propaganda has been based off 'Hindutva' and related politics. It was needed to an extent, but now, this is manifesting into atrocities against other faiths- Case in point, during Navratri- the state of Bengal offers meat to the Goddess. The state of Uttar Pradesh, people fast during these days. What Shah , Yogi and Modi are trying to do here- is to force people into following their brand of Hinduism. Hinduism is a way of life. People across the country celebrate/ revere Gods in their own manner. No one can force.

Unfortunately, this very premise is driving people towards the BJP as they have long feared that Hinduism never got its due. These very masses are the lowest category/illiterates who have found a means to rejoice via religion.

If you consider the common middle class, there are people who will crib- but they will probably not go out and vote for change. Despite my NRI status, I am constantly hooked onto news from India, for the fear of what they may introduce next. I visited India 3 months ago and was shocked at the rising inflation and prices of commodities around me.

You speak of the Ruppee devaluation- When Ms. Sitaraman makes a claim that the Dollar is strengthening, idiots will follow her. I speak out of personal experience- lot of my MBA friends (from a Tier I institute) still feel the BJP is right- this is worrying.

Another worrying factor is the lack of a proper opposition. I actually felt Tharoor in charge of Congress would be quite beneficial for the country as a whole. Alas, the revamp will have to wait now.

2024 & Beyond:
I have no doubt the BJP will stitch up a government again. Perhaps, a coalition, but it will be them in power at the Centre. The question though begs- who will be PM? Given BJP's recent policy of sidelining leaders after they turn 70, Mr Modi may have to make way- but for whom? I certainly do not want either Shah or Yogi as the PM of the country. BJP too, doesnt have any leaders worthy of leading at the moment. The only 3 possible ones I would want to see as PM are Nitin Gadkari, Devendra Fadnavis or Jyotiraditya Scindia. Need a presentable face tbh.

Congress though has many- and quite a few learned ones- Tharoor, Ramesh, Aiyyar, Azad(if he is still with them), Sibal.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One

I am sure this is not the change I wanted. When Modi and Kejriwal were rising up the ranks in 2014, I was hopeful, I was hopeful that India is on track with good opposition parties. Some things are good with this government and somethings are so bad I am ashamed. I really hope in next few years someone emerges and becomes a force to reckon with like Modi was in 2014 to challenge him. A democracy can only work when we have a strong government and an equally strong opposition.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner

The real change that a majority of their vote-bank wanted is what they’re preaching everyday which is also why they’ve been voted in a second time and will also be the victors in the next election.

They’ve successfully manipulated the average citizen into believing that their reign has been a success and have almost every major TV media outlet under their control. The corporate backing is completely with them now. People are now treating politics as supporting their favourite sports team that should be stuck with through thick and thin and justified through all means. I’m surprised that people are surprised that they did not magically restore the Indian economy when it was clear even pre-election and during the early days that this will be a reign of conmen.

The only good thing out of their rule is the relative peace compared to the past where terror attacks were a more frequent occurrence. But then again, this is yet another opinion that will change from a different perspective when one considers how unsafe the country is slowly becoming for the other major religious group and how journalistic freedom and safety has completely eroded with at least one prominent media person being killed every year.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The real change that a majority of their vote-bank wanted is what they’re preaching everyday which is also why they’ve been voted in a second time and will also be the victors in the next election.

They’ve successfully manipulated the average citizen into believing that their reign has been a success and have almost every major TV media outlet under their control. The corporate backing is completely with them now. People are now treating politics as supporting their favourite sports team that should be stuck with through thick and thin and justified through all means. I’m surprised that people are surprised that they did not magically restore the Indian economy when it was clear even pre-election and during the early days that this will be a reign of conmen.

The only good thing out of their rule is the relative peace compared to the past where terror attacks were a more frequent occurrence. But then again, this is yet another opinion that will change from a different perspective when one considers how unsafe the country is slowly becoming for the other major religious group and how journalistic freedom and safety has completely eroded with at least one prominent media person being killed every year.
Wrt your last paragraph my view is that the BJP have continually use supremacist politics to deflect the population from the real issue of poverty, low unemployment etc.

They’ve basically turn the population which is mainly Hindu religion (85% or so i think) to believe that the main issues affecting them are the minority religion(s). This can be shown by the increased atrocities and ‘vigilante justice’ against the minority since the BJP has taken up its governance.

Probably my thinking is wrong but I’ve seen this in several nations as well.

Bevab

Staff Member
Wrt your last paragraph my view is that the BJP have continually use supremacist politics to deflect the population from the real issue of poverty, low unemployment etc.

They’ve basically turn the population which is mainly Hindu religion (85% or so i think) to believe that the main issues affecting them are the minority religion(s). This can be shown by the increased atrocities and ‘vigilante justice’ against the minority since the BJP has taken up its governance.

Probably my thinking is wrong but I’ve seen this in several nations as well.

The first point is something that has been standard play by right wing parties in multiple countries. Wasn't there big news about Cambridge Analytica or some other company who were pretty much involved in dictating strategies on how best to win elections and run a country on such tactics? I'd probably say that this is a tale as old as time, distract the common man with petty issues that you hype up to be important and you can keep him from questioning you easily.

As to the second point I'd add minority communities within the Hindu group there rather than multiple religions. I've not seen other religions barring the main secondary religion be affected to the extent that these communities have. Sadly that doesn't get reported upon either. The vigilante justice has existed in the past too but we did have them being rightfully called out for being vigilantes rather than ignored (on few occasions even lauded) these days.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The first point is something that has been standard play by right wing parties in multiple countries. Wasn't there big news about Cambridge Analytica or some other company who were pretty much involved in dictating strategies on how best to win elections and run a country on such tactics? I'd probably say that this is a tale as old as time, distract the common man with petty issues that you hype up to be important and you can keep him from questioning you easily.

As to the second point I'd add minority communities within the Hindu group there rather than multiple religions. I've not seen other religions barring the main secondary religion be affected to the extent that these communities have. Sadly that doesn't get reported upon either. The vigilante justice has existed in the past too but we did have them being rightfully called out for being vigilantes rather than ignored (on few occasions even lauded) these days.
drJhjV9.jpg

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Any opinions on Bharat Jodo Yatra organized by Congress?

Ground reports shows Rahul Gandhi's image has improved significantly among the people as the BJY's main motive was to bypass mainstream media and connect with general public directly. BJP has tried to find faults and mistakes to malign the image of the Rahul again and the yatra itself (like covid transmission, luxurious stay arrangements for the yatris etc...) but this time Congress has smartly managed to overcome this.

There has been huge crowd gathering in each state through which the BJY passed, specially the BJP ruled states like Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and UP. But I don't think that's any indication of people turnout for such yatra converting to votes in elections. Congress even invited many important personalities from across various fields/industry and them joining the Yatra was a validation of a sort. With this huge success, Congress is planning to organise another yatra later this year starting from West to East of India.

Rahul Gandhi's public speech and press conferences seems to be very much improved and effective. Talking about real issues like unemployment, inflation, communalism etc.. are on point. Even the cadre that seemed demotivated and dead are now alive and energised. I feel whatever they are doing seem to be working to conne with people better. But this is not enough to win in 2024. They'll have to continue this way and prepare for 2029 and win all the state election leading up to 2029.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Something to discuss - Rahul Gandhi disqualified from the membership of parliament after being convicted in a 2019 defamation case

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I'm not a law expert but this is what the summary is:

- Found guilty in a 2019 defamation case.
- Convicted & sentenced to 2 yrs imprisonment under section 499 & 500.
- Sentence suspended & granted bail for 30 days, allowing to appeal judgement in higher courts.
- Automatic disqualification from the parliament from the time of conviction.
- Won't be able to contest elections for 2 + 6 yrs.

All this is just because he uttered a few sentences that the complainant said has defamed him.

Rahul Gandhi's lawyer says that there has been a lot of things overlooked and the case doesn't stand at all, because the complainant is ineligible to file a case as he is not directly affected in this defamation. Even the jurisdiction of the case is questionable under section 202.

The complainant had asked for 'stay' in the case in the High Court and waited for 4 yrs before he went back and withdraw his appeal for 'stay' and expedite the case.

2 yrs sentence is the maximum sentence which can be given to someone and the lawyers says the judge handed over the maximum sentence without a second thought.

There is a rule in 'representation of people act' which says any conviction and sentence of 2 or more years will result in automatic disqualification. Rahul Gandhi and opposition were planning to question the govt. on Adani scam and demand for JPC Probe. But instead, they disqualified the opposition face.

All attention is over Rahul Gandhi and Adani Scam is no where in the news. Adani is believed to be a close friend of PM of India.

Users who are viewing this thread