Possible 2009 Ashes Teams

dezzagod

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Please post your thoughts on this. It was printed in the West Australian newspaper on Sat Dec 23.

Possible 2009 Ashes Teams

ENGLAND
Andrew Strauss (c)
Alistair Cook
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Ed Joyce
Andrew Flintoff
Chris Read
Sajid Mahmood
Liam Plunkett
Monty Panesar
Steve Harmison

AUSTRALIA
Phil Jaques
Chris Rogers
Ricky Ponting(c)
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Adam Voges
Tim Paine+
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart Clark
Dan Cullen
Ben Hilfenhaus

I actually hope it's Foster/Davies/Prior who occupies the wicket-keeping spot by then. Hopefully Simon Jones can be there as well.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Broad in the England team come 2009.

Oh of course, I forgot about Broad. He looks more likely of a spot than Mahmood or Plunkett i'd say. Also, I should think Hoggard will still be around by then as well.

So are we saying:
ENGLAND
Andrew Strauss (c)
Alistair Cook
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Ed Joyce
Andrew Flintoff
Chris Read
Matthew Hoggard
Stuart Broad
Monty Panesar
Steve Harmison

With possible alterations in the batting line up at the bottom there

Can't really comment on the English team myself.
I agree with the Australian team mostly. Would Tim Paine be good enough to replace Adam Gilchrist. They are some really big shoes to fill. I think they only took Gilchrist out because of his age

Looks to me like they didnt really think about the England team when they wrote the article.

I wouldnt expect Read, Mahmood or Plunkett to feature in 2009. I might even go so far as to put Harmi on that list too.

So if we say Broad and Hoggard repolacing Mahmood and Plunkett. Who would replace Read? I'd be tempted to say James Foster, maybe?

Any comments on the Australian team. It's something i wanted to chat about but i dunno half of those english players

I would plump for Davies for the WK role for England if I had to pick a name now. But I dont see much point in trying to figure out lineups now, as there is plenty of time for new talent to emerge (just look how quick KP and Monty made it into the England side).

Foster will be too old come 2009, surely? Hoggy, I'm not sure, may still be around, tough one to call. Same goes for Harmison. Had he not just retired from ODIs to prolong his test career I'd have doubted him being around in 2009, now I'm not so sure.

i don't really understand why harmison is in the list. people are calling for him to be dropped now

how could they not have shane watson on the aussie list. thank god he'll be back for the 5th test and the ODI's

FreddieFan said:
Foster will be too old come 2009, surely? Hoggy, I'm not sure, may still be around, tough one to call. Same goes for Harmison. Had he not just retired from ODIs to prolong his test career I'd have doubted him being around in 2009, now I'm not so sure.

Foster will be 29 as far as Im aware, not too old for me.

And isn't Brett Lee missing from that aussie side? I thought he'd be around in 2009

Last edited:
yeah but he hasn't been playing well i don't think. unless bowling leg side is a good thing now. maybe they don't think he'll be good enough at the time

Users who are viewing this thread