Adam Voges
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin+
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart Clark
Shaun Tait
Ben Hilfenhaus

Not sold on Rogers yet.

Good batting depth with Cosgrove, Rogers, McDonald, White is players get injured. Also possibly Symonds.

Clarke opening in a test thats a new one. Could work I guess but Rogers will definitely get a chance to show what hes got first and I suspect he will go well given how consistent he has been over the past few years.

He supposedly couldn't hack test cricket either. Hes a much better player now and I have no doubt he can bat at 4 now. If he can open in Test cricket well thats another story.

The number one thing to remember about Tim Paine is that he is an opening batsman first and a keeper second. It would be ridiculous to pencil him in at seven, when he has the talent to make the future top order without keeping at all.

Iron-Haggis said:
Clarke couldn't hack it at number 4 in Test cricket. He won't be able to hack it opening the batting.
Well, he can hack it now.

I've seen him open in ODI's and he has looked alright.

And I think positioning is overrated. It shouldnt matter where the batsmen bats, if he a good enough he should make runs.

aussie1st said:
Clarke opening in a test thats a new one. Could work I guess but Rogers will definitely get a chance to show what hes got first and I suspect he will go well given how consistent he has been over the past few years.
I'm fairly sure he will get a chance. Even though im not sold on him, I would still give him a chance if I were selectors. But I get the feeling he'll be a Blewett/Elliot/Di Venuto type, where are good solid first class players, but just not good enough to perform consistently well in test cricket.

For me:
ENGLAND
Andrew Strauss
Alastair Cook
Michael Vaughan (c)
Kevin Pietersen
Jamie Dalrymple
Andrew Flintoff
Matthew Prior (k)
Chris Tremlett
Liam Plunkett
Stuart Broad
Monty Panesar
12th Man: Ian Bell

AUSTRALIA
Phil Jaques
Chris Rogers
Ricky Ponting(c)
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Marcus North
Chris Hartley (k)
Dan Cullen
Stuart Clark
Ben Hilfenhaus
Shaun Tait
12th Man: Cameron White

cricketmad09 said:
Well, he can hack it now.

I've seen him open in ODI's and he has looked alright.

And I think positioning is overrated. It shouldnt matter where the batsmen bats, if he a good enough he should make runs.
One of the most uneducated posts I have ever read.

1. He can't hack it now, that's why he bats at 5 or 6.
2. He got dropped down the order for Katich, so obviously he didn't do too well.
3. Positioning is everything, especially when you're opening. If you are a good mild-mannered batsman who can leave the good balls and play the new ball you are good at opening in Tests. If you are a spin expert who is incapable of leaving outside off stump then you will fail. Clarke is not an opener, if he was he would open in first class.

And before you say Rogers is bad, he is in better form than Jaques, don't write someone off based on your 'feelings'.

Last edited:
aus5892 said:
One of the most uneducated posts I have ever read.

1. He can't hack it now, that's why he bats at 5 or 6.
2. He got dropped down the order for Katich, so obviously he didn't do too well.
3. Positioning is everything, especially when you're opening. If you are a good mild-mannered batsman who can leave the good balls and play the new ball you are good at opening in Tests. If you are a spin expert who is incapable of leaving outside off stump then you will fail. Clarke is not an opener, if he was he would open in first class.

And before you say Rogers is bad, he is in better form than Jaques, don't write someone off based on your 'feelings'.

Most uneducated ever - I wouldn't go that far. Certainly Clarke had a lean patch in the middle order until recently, but to say that he can't hack opening the batting is a bit stiff. He hasn't yet been given a chance, not because he can't (IMO), but because of the plethora of good openers we already have. If Langer/Hayden were injured, Jaques/Rogers would get first crack. We don't need to promote a middle order player. If we did it would be Hussey.

Traditionally, you don't want your best players to open anyway. Prime example of Kevin Pietersen. He bats at 5 (4 when he's forced to), to give him a chance to smash the old ball around with less chance of seaming and swinging. That means reducing the risk of your best player getting a ball that could have been avoided if he had waited 15 overs before coming in.

Clarke shouldn't open for NSW either, he should let less valuable guys go in first to blunt the bowling.

Virender Sehwag is a prime example of a guy who started in the middle, but the middle order was too crowded so he was promoted to open. He has bad off stump technique, yet he somehow manages to score runs opening the batting, go figure. He would have been a guy I would have thought would be eaten alive as an opener, yet he averages around 53 as an opener. Michael Clarke would be the same IMO. He plays very much like Michael Slater - not a bad opener coincedentally.

Last edited:
AUSTRALIA
Phil Jaques - agree
Chris Rogers - he's 30 now..... maybe a younger replacement i.e cosgrove
Ricky Ponting(c) - agree
Michael Hussey - agree
Michael Clarke - agree
Adam Voges - hmm..... maybe watson will hold this position with our weak bowling
Tim Paine+ - haddin?
Mitchell Johnson - id rather be dead than see that man get a test cap.... sadly im gonna say tait
Stuart Clark - agree
Dan Cullen - for lack of better spinners agree
Ben Hilfenhaus - agree

sifter132 said:
Most uneducated ever - I wouldn't go that far. Certainly Clarke had a lean patch in the middle order until recently, but to say that he can't hack opening the batting is a bit stiff. He hasn't yet been given a chance, not because he can't (IMO), but because of the plethora of good openers we already have. If Langer/Hayden were injured, Jaques/Rogers would get first crack. We don't need to promote a middle order player. If we did it would be Hussey.

Traditionally, you don't want your best players to open anyway. Prime example of Kevin Pietersen. He bats at 5 (4 when he's forced to), to give him a chance to smash the old ball around with less chance of seaming and swinging. That means reducing the risk of your best player getting a ball that could have been avoided if he had waited 15 overs before coming in.

Clarke shouldn't open for NSW either, he should let less valuable guys go in first to blunt the bowling.

Virender Sehwag is a prime example of a guy who started in the middle, but the middle order was too crowded so he was promoted to open. He has bad off stump technique, yet he somehow manages to score runs opening the batting, go figure. He would have been a guy I would have thought would be eaten alive as an opener, yet he averages around 53 as an opener. Michael Clarke would be the same IMO. He plays very much like Michael Slater - not a bad opener coincedentally.
Umm, he hasn't been given a chance because he isn't an opener, why does no one understand that.

As for Tim Paine, he is not good enough at keeping, he only keeps in One Dayers anyway, he is a decent young batsman but I can't see him getting in the Aussie Team as a keeper. Would be a chance for an ODI opener maybe.

^^ Yea. Mitch looks a great bowler to me, hope to see more of him. Lovely run up, very much like Akram, excellent pace and swing.

aus5892 said:
Umm, he hasn't been given a chance because he isn't an opener, why does no one understand that.

As for Tim Paine, he is not good enough at keeping, he only keeps in One Dayers anyway, he is a decent young batsman but I can't see him getting in the Aussie Team as a keeper. Would be a chance for an ODI opener maybe.

I totally agree that he isn't an opener and I don't think he should open either, I was merely pointing out that it can't be said that he would be a bad opener - since because he isn't an opener he hasn't opened the batting yet, giving us nothing to back up that statement. Does that make sense?

Also I'm surprised at the lack of love for Brad Haddin. He's light years ahead of the competition as far as I can see. He's a top keeper and the only guy who might be a better batter is Tim Paine. And Haddin's only turned 29 in October - just coming into his prime. Paine, Hartley and Ronchi all need to play more before we should pick them. If we picked Haddin there wouldn't be much of a drop off from Gilly - in fact he's probably a more reliable #7.

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Alistair Cook
3. Michael Vaughan (c) Or Vica Versa with Bell
4. Ian Bell
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. James Foster/Stephen Davies, Depending on Form/Selctors preference.
8. Monty Panesar
9. Stuart Broad
10. Sajid Mahmood
11. Matthew Hoggard

Users who are viewing this thread