Possible 2009 Ashes Teams

aus5892 said:
Umm, he hasn't been given a chance because he isn't an opener, why does no one understand that.
I didnt carve my answer in stone. I'm just sticking him there for the moment, because they need another guy to open, and I am not sold on Rogers. It is just a hypothetical. I'm sure that there will be someone who comes along and takes the opening position, but thats just what it is for now.

I would never want Johnson to be in a team. Just don't like him.

But I think it's silly just making these guesses. Most of these players are being chosen as first choice from current form.

Two years is a long time for a player to shine. I mean McGrath only took a year to make his test debut. The team you guys have in mind could be completely different.

I don't want Johnson either. It's all hype about him and even if he does have the attributes everyone talks about, he doesnt turn it into actual results.

English Team:

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan (c)
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Foster
Mamood
Hoggard
Harmo
Panisar

Monty will be a No.8/9 by the 2009 Ashes. Improving so much. Maybe 9 with Saj at 8.

i think stuart broad might make it into the team if he keeps improving at the same rate. although i am byist

Harmy won't last till 09. He'll be out fairly soon imo. You can't bowl that fast and with the strains on your body and play bowling 90+ for more than the age of 31 imo. He'll either slow down and stay or go out as a quickman.

If he stays fit, there is no reason he cant bowl the same pace as he is doing now.
Now he has given up the ODI format, he will be playing 12 - 15 Tests a year.Which is few enough for his body to maintain his pace untill the summer of 2009.

Doubt it, the body can only take so much. It'll happen with Brett Lee as well. He'll get one back injury and he won't be able to sustain the pace. He'll probably become a good Fast Medium bowler because he has a good brain.

Leicester Fox said:
i think stuart broad might make it into the team if he keeps improving at the same rate. although i am byist

Good effort but it's biassed.

As for Harmison, he's been getting a few knocks lately, if he doesn't rebound on his ODI decision he should last till the next Ashes in 2009. I can't see him going to 36ish, maybe till 2010/11.

Remember many a bowler have lost their pace yet gained good accuracy.

cricketmad09 said:
I don't want Johnson either. It's all hype about him and even if he does have the attributes everyone talks about, he doesnt turn it into actual results.

Although Johnson is starting to slightly live up to some of the hype. He is actually throwing in some performances. But agreed that Tait should definitely be ahead of him on the pecking order.

Users who are viewing this thread