Post your system specs

Well, yesterday was a good day, not only did i see Jimmy Carr live, i also got both my new toys.

Sadly, i ordered the wrong HD 4870, how i managed to do this i am not sure. What a berk, so i now have a HIS HD 4870, but with a reference cooler and a blue sticker covering it.

Was going to send it back but after installing it, and running overdrive it actually overclocked faster than the Iceq, with a core of 780mhz and the memory was still going up when i stopped it at 1040mhz. Being quad pumped that gives an effective memory speed of 4160mhz GDDR5. Not bad.

The thermaltake cooler was awkward to fit, it barely fit as it was almost touching my psu. Have got my cpu up to 3.4ghz stable and safe. Having problems with 3.5ghz, but i think ill get there eventually. Sitting idle at 24-28, and under full load of prime95 at 45-48. This is with medium fan speed settings which is very quiet.

Edit, just added ceramique to the cpu cooler instead of the stff that came with the cooler and temps have dropped some more, added correct figures above.

Last edited:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R
2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz
Maxtor 200GB ATA-133
2x Seagate 320GB SATA2
WD 750GB SATA2
Zotac 8800GT AMP 700Mhz 512MB
Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion

The CPU is fitted with a Scythe Infinity and it is as effective as you'd expect of such an enormous contraption, but I wouldn't choose it again. It is difficult to install and it's more because of the clips than the overall size.

The Thermalright HR-03 GT I have on the graphics card is genius, the unique design pipes heat to a large heasink on the back of the card, which is a spot where there is usually a lot of free space. It can operate silently with no fan, but with a placid 90mm fan, the card often functions at less than 40?C. I'd definitely lean towards their other products in future.

I don't do a lot of overclocking, but I've seen plenty of casualties to hot weather. I once had a computer that would BSOD in summer because thermal paste was not applied correctly (pretty much the same thing happens in X360s that get RROD). In any place that gets hot summers, the average PC basically depends on you having good air conditioning. If not, you could be putting it in 20?C more ambient heat than the manufacturers intended. The extra outlay of a quality heatsink is not anywhere near that of a replacement card and you can resell a used heatsink if it doesn't fit your next purchase. You can't resell a fried piece of hardware.

Nice rig AA, moreover better presented. ;) Yeah it gets hard to overclock in the summers in India, when the days are 38C-44C outside, there isn't much room for my processor on the stock cooler. :p

I've shifted most of my tasks happily on the GPU though (Video encoding being the major one, courtsey Badaboom ;)) so I rarely feel the need to overclock. Ofcourse when I play games I have to but then its for short time periods.

Users who are viewing this thread