Premeditation Solutions

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
If you've got a solution please discuss it here.

Really interested to see what others feel is the best solution for us that premeditate.

I think with spinners and medium pacers you just have to tell yourself be patient. Maybe have a little Ponting-esque mantra before the ball is bowled. Quicks obviously pose more of a problem. My method in DBC14 was to take guard on middle and leave anything outside off stump, play straight balls to mid-on and work anything on my legs through square. If a straight ball was short I'd just miss it early doors, but once I got my eye in I'd be able to adjust my shot using the little extra time you get with a short ball. This obviously works best in FC/Test matches as you have the time, but I think a little pre-meditation is necessary in white ball games anyway as you have to look to the gaps in the field.

Edit: I played everything off the front foot to limit the number of options I had to consider.

Reposting the option I proposed earlier along with the original posts especially for single user or AI modes...

Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion | Page 86 - Don Bradman Cricket 17 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

Ross is it possible for you to explore the option of the line/length indicator (the circle around the ball) flash or be displayed a little bit before the ball actually leaves the bowler's hand? It could be sort of a 'Reaction Time' setting so that folks like me who find it tough to read line & length can see the line & length of the delivery a tad earlier and play shots accordingly instead of pre-meditating the shots. In DBC 14 I park myself on the front foot as I simply can't judge line & length fast enough and I'm afraid (based on the videos I've seen so far of the DBC 17 nets) that I'll continue to do so in DBC 17 as well taking a lot of fun away from the batting experience.

Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion | Page 86 - Don Bradman Cricket 17 Forum on PlanetCricket Forums

I would go for a much simpler approach, at least for single user gameplay...

Have AI determine the delivery it's going to bowl early on (before the delivery is bowled or during the run up to bowl the delivery). That way you can show the "tell" for line & length (the circle around the ball) early on depending on the optional setting. If the slider is set at minimum setting (say 0), the line & length indicator operates the way it does now. At the maximum setting, the line & length indicator is displayed or flashed as soon as the bowler runs in or during the run up. That way users can select the optimal setting when they want to see the line & length info displayed for optimal batting experience.

For multi-player, when the delivery is chosen at a later time, the batting model can work as it does now. That way you can at least have matches against AI where you can have a fun, enjoyable batting experience devoid of pre-meditation and don't have to play nearly every shot on front foot just because your reaction is slow and you can't process all the information in time to choose appropriate shots to the deliveries bowled.

You are bang on .Otherwise a ball marker get flashed at the line and length of the ball on the pitch when the bowler reaches popping crease.

You can't know the line beforehand as it's calculated in real time. Plus, that would make it only unnecessarily easier and more like a backward step of what BA is trying to do. And by delivery stride, I meant like half a second before release...just enough for your reflexes to pick it up and solve the line as the ball is delivered in the next half second.

Yes i do agree with you completely,before delivery stride makes batting easier, the window scope for not premeditating is very small.Another thing i would like to add on is ,don't we premeditate while bowling ?, i think we do.

You can't know the line beforehand as it's calculated in real time. Plus, that would make it only unnecessarily easier and more like a backward step of what BA is trying to do. And by delivery stride, I meant like half a second before release...just enough for your reflexes to pick it up and solve the line as the ball is delivered in the next half second.

Read my posts...

1. Against AI, which is what majority of folks play anyway, the delivery doesn't need to be calculated real-time. It can be determined before-hand as it's the AI. Whether AI determines the delivery line & length at the last moment or earlier, it won't make a difference to the user so why not calculate the delivery line & length a bit earlier?

2. It won't make the batting easier as there would be a slider setting to determine how early or late you want the line & length indicator to e flashed or displayed. If your reflexes are great you can turn off the setting altogether or have the slider setting towards the setting where the line & length info is displayed at the last moment. Eventually you will figure your sweet spot and have the setting which gives you the best gaming experience.

It is calculated real time because there are elements that change right up to the given delivery, including the position of batsman etc. that could cause a bowler to change.

Yes i do agree with you completely,before delivery stride makes batting easier, the window scope for not premeditating is very small.Another thing i would like to add on is ,don't we premeditate while bowling ?, i think we do.
Bro:/
That is not premeditating. That is deciding. Premeditation is only for reactions. The bowler is the challenger who is FREE to bowl ANYTHING but a batsman SHOULD react ACCORDINGLY. As a batsman, sometimes you don't have enough time to react according to the ball, so you assume the conditions and react to that.

It is calculated real time because there are elements that change right up to the given delivery, including the position of batsman etc. that could cause a bowler to change.

That is interesting. I didn't know the bowler changed his line and length according to the batsman's movements.

If I'm not wrong, the batsmen in DBC17 cannot advance before the ball is released and the batsmen wouldn't be able to make a drastic change in his position towards the bowler in the period between the start of arm swing and release. Just so that I don't keep suggesting this same thing, I want to confirm if it's okay, is it not possible for the AI to decide the length when he has started the arm swing? Even if the colored circle is pushed from after release to just about to release, it would be of great help.

Once something like that could be done, we could even crank up the ball pace, as picking the line should be fairly easier and less of a concern than picking the length, I feel.

Good! And cool. Makes sense too. There ain't goin be no premeditated indicators, so really glad that bubble has been popped.

Now we can move on thankfully :)

Has anyone got any other ideas?... Toggle auto footwork on all difficulties?, fraction more time without lessening ball physics and carry for fast bowlers?, button and stick controls? Sliders? Extensive tutorials?... Hoping someone has got something that hasn't been posted. Also I'm not after any tips of how to play, just want to know if anyone has got an abstract or out of the square suggestion that we can discuss here.:)

I like it as is and I'm terrible at batting. I like that it's uncomfortable to face fast bowling, how it should be.

If I'm concentrating I can just about pick short balls from fast medium bowlers and play back accordingly but I've no chance with fast bowlers.

Maybe the solution going forward would be to have more choice in bowler types and variation in speeds - medium fast for your county trundler, fast medium for the Andersons and Broads of this world then fast only for the proper express bowlers.

Greater variation in bowling speeds could provide that split second some need to gauge length.

i think pre-meditation can only be reduced by using pro cam bcoz even the actual players who play on merit of the ball are looking to the bowler like we do in pro cam
but mostly we all try to play from broadcast cam or some other cam reason being that we are not actual players
we are the viewers of cricket
and every viewer of cricket knows that on TV you are watching cricket mostly on broadcast cam or batsman cam if watching county cricket

Based on Ross' response the only quick hit option, which I don't like very much by the way, is to slow down or hold up the delivery similar to how DBC 14 online works. If slider is set to minimum (0) the game plays as it does now and as you increase the slider setting the more pronounced (or longer) the slowing down happens. I'm hoping Big Ant can pull a solution out of their magical hat or maybe think of something for the next iteration if it's not feasible to add it in DBC 17.

Users who are viewing this thread