Premeditation Solutions

When i first started playing DBC14 like most people... I had all the aids on... which made me lazy not watching the ball just waiting for the colours to come up... after 6 months of playing i tried playing with nothing... and i played better as i HAD to watch the ball.. It made me such a better player almost instantly. Much more enjoyable bowling and batting. More rewarding :)

When i first started playing DBC14 like most people... I had all the aids on... which made me lazy not watching the ball just waiting for the colours to come up... after 6 months of playing i tried playing with nothing... and i played better as i HAD to watch the ball.. It made me such a better player almost instantly. Much more enjoyable bowling and batting. More rewarding :)
Thats exactly what happens when you watch the ball, the reason why I am requesting for HUD off option on academy too, as I am used to playing without it and watching the ball I can say the type of delivery it is as it is a lot easier and for sure play to the merit of it..

Yeah thats sort of what i was thinking too mate, so it would be scaled to look normal from our eyes, and exaggerate the ball physics so it doesnt land short of the keeper or lose any bounce off the pitch.

This is what i was trying to discuss last night @funnyadit , the benefits of moving such a big distance out of the crease like 2m to fast bowlers in dbc 17, is if the reaction time was the same standing 2m out of crease in dbc 17, as it was standing at default position in dbc 14, which was on the crease iirc, then you would have an extra 2.5m - 3m behind the batsman, which could be used for a more suitable reaction time for individual player needs so they wouldn't have to premeditate all the time. Its keeping in tone with realism aswell, just that the reaction times would be exaggerated more then reality the further you go back in the crease. Also if ball speed sliders were added for exaggerated carry and bounce etc, we could find that sweet spot for all players personal skill levels.

Hopefully someone will get what im trying to say?

What do you reckon @cricket_online ?

TBH my reflexes are so poor that an additional fraction of second I get by playing deep in the crease is unlikely to offer much help. I still think another out of the solution is required for users with varying reflex/reaction time. If I can somehow read line & length quick enough to use the complete repertoire of shots offered in DBC 17, it would make it the perfect cricket game. Currently I barely play any back foot shots as I'm parked on front foot and premeditate the shot I would play.

I've figured out that I would need the line & length to be shown approximately 500 msec before I have to provide my batting input (footwork & shot direction) for me to play the ball on line & length. Don't think batting deep in the crease will give me that much time.

Watch the ball
Watch the ball
Watch the ball

Not trying to derail anything but this has stopped me premeditating 90 procent of my shots...no markers, no nothing....

I gave it a shot Dutch after reading grkrama and blocker tried that approach and it worked for them. Unfortunately it didn't for me. I played both career mode and offline odis & Tests with the all the hud stuff/indicators off but I still struggled. Even if I'm able to read line & length of a delivery for medium pacers, i'm late by the time I play an appropriate shot. I've struggled against the spinners too as by the time I determine the shot I need to play, I'm late and I end up edging behind. Apparently poor timing causes a lot more edges against spinners compared to pacers in DBC 14.

And it's not as if I haven't put enough time in the game. I've been playing DBC 14 extensively for 2.5 years now on PS3 & PS4 across all modes - online, offline casual and career mode - using various HUD options ranging from turning everything on to everything off, and I still struggle to bat without pre-meditation. That's why Big Ant coming up with a solution to customize reaction time while batting is at the top of my wish list as even if i score runs right now it doesn't feel satisfying enough as I score them by pre-meditating nearly all the time. This is the one major gripe I've with DBC as I should be able to bat like the Don in the game but just can't.

Believe or not...i started the game with disabling all huds and i almost played for 200hrs without these and i enjoyed to the fullest. I just on them for online games. Offline multiplayer and career i always keep them off.

They have. They do. You do not have to premeditate - you do need to practise (some more than others... obviously).

Ross, I have to disagree with you on this point. Refer my previous post. I've played the game for quite a long time now (2.5 years) across varying difficulty levels and modes but still struggle on batting without pre-meditation on front foot. Surely you would agree that this is sufficient time to overcome the difficulty curve. There should be a way in the game to allow users to somehow modify the reaction time to play the shots without changing the difficulty level (i.e. playing on Rookie or Amateur). That's the main frustration I have with DBC 14 - a great game but I can't make the most of it, especially batting which is my favorite part of the game.

I really really wish that the Big Ant team can come up with some sort of option/solution to allow folks like me to have more time to read line & length and bat accordingly. I wouldn't even mind the "slowing/freezing the bowler just before he bowls" the way it's done in DBC 14 online with the line & length indicator visible while the bowler is frozen/slowed down for an instant. It could be an option which folks who are fine with the batting as it is don't need to turn on but it would be god-sent for someone like me.

Last edited:
@cricket_online Its not like we playing without HUD get the best shot and timing..I play shots late in general as I watch the ball and play, most shots are just for 1 and 2...Its the feel I get out of playing so which makes me play so..And even in real life playing cricket dont we think or try to read the bowler and bat, not all batsman just play the right shots so the mix definitely comes in batting...Maybe we are in a frame of mind where getting it right is more important than playing or even struggling a period for that matter...
And slogs mostly its the batsman's frame of mind which makes him play so, not that delivery was meant to be hit unless its a juicy full toss...The struggle of such play is what makes me to play it again and again, thats what makes me get 250 in one and a duck in the next innings..Some days when the frame of mind is not right I just totally fail to connect such days have made me play 50 off 200 balls where I concentrated on leaving than even touching the ball..Thats what the game brings in..The hint which the game gives now is very effective to play for the length at which its gonna come..Even online for that matter I play without HUD there too so maybe thats the reason I am not enjoying online as people are obsessed with hitting big and winning more than enjoying a game of cricket , not at all generalising but I have had nail biters as well..The main difference being I not being able to be that slogger as I said before I play the shots late, which I feel positive with DBC 17 as it gives the bowler freedom and batsman freedom as well..The challenge when balanced on both sides definitely would give that happy game feel even if we lose, thats what I expect from a game online..

@cricket_online Its not like we playing without HUD get the best shot and timing..I play shots late in general as I watch the ball and play, most shots are just for 1 and 2...Its the feel I get out of playing so which makes me play so..And even in real life playing cricket dont we think or try to read the bowler and bat, not all batsman just play the right shots so the mix definitely comes in batting...Maybe we are in a frame of mind where getting it right is more important than playing or even struggling a period for that matter...
And slogs mostly its the batsman's frame of mind which makes him play so, not that delivery was meant to be hit unless its a juicy full toss...The struggle of such play is what makes me to play it again and again, thats what makes me get 250 in one and a duck in the next innings..Some days when the frame of mind is not right I just totally fail to connect such days have made me play 50 off 200 balls where I concentrated on leaving than even touching the ball..Thats what the game brings in..The hint which the game gives now is very effective to play for the length at which its gonna come..Even online for that matter I play without HUD there too so maybe thats the reason I am not enjoying online as people are obsessed with hitting big and winning more than enjoying a game of cricket , not at all generalising but I have had nail biters as well..The main difference being I not being able to be that slogger as I said before I play the shots late, which I feel positive with DBC 17 as it gives the bowler freedom and batsman freedom as well..The challenge when balanced on both sides definitely would give that happy game feel even if we lose, thats what I expect from a game online..

I agree with this. My timing isnt great either mostly 1-2's but when i do drill a drive for four.. ohhhhh yesssss!!!! :D

I've already mentioned my struggles with and without hud in prior posts. I struggle to even get a shot off in time or am very late nearly every time. Even if I somehow manage to scrape by playing late and eeking out 1s or 2s occasionally, what am i supposed to do in T20s, odis or other shorter formats? Read my posts above where I've mentioned the amount of time I've spent on the game. I back the DBC franschise to the hilt but i want to highlight this one glaring weakness for the betterment of the franchise. if you think that's not an issue for you or you are able to overcome it, all power to you.

I've already mentioned my struggles with and without hud in prior posts. I struggle to even get a shot off in time or am very late nearly every time. Even if I somehow manage to scrape by playing late and eeking out 1s or 2s occasionally, what am i supposed to do in T20s, odis or other shorter formats? Read my posts above where I've mentioned the amount of time I've spent on the game. I back the DBC franschise to the hilt but i want to highlight this one glaring weakness for the betterment of the franchise. if you think that's not an issue for you or you are able to overcome it, all power to you.

Why not lower the difficulty then? for when your batting in T20's/ODI's ? May help abit.

Why not lower the difficulty then? for when your batting in T20's/ODI's ? May help abit.

Already explained earlier I don't want to play at Rookie or Amateur level as it's simply not challenging enough. I can score runs and play well enough at Legend difficulty level but not without pre-meditation. That's the issue, not the difficulty level.

Already explained earlier I don't want to play at Rookie or Amateur level as it's simply not challenging enough. I can score runs and play well enough at Legend difficulty level but not without pre-meditation. That's the issue, not the difficulty level.

Ah okay sorry. Just a thought thats all :)

I think you'll find the difficulty levels better balanced this time around and the batting a better experience in general.

A real 160km/h delivery takes exactly 0.45 seconds to travel 20 meters when it releases from hand and if we can get that much time to choose our shot by looking at the pitch marker then our all premeditation problem will be solved moreover you guys then can set the real world speed in to the game as well , now that would be epic when you have to deal with Mitchel Starc real 155ks inswinger.

I hope you can atleast have this atleast for offline play

Just to quote, you and @angad were the guys who made me hate online first as you guys whacked me fore some 80+ runs in a Five5 match on PS3..So if that kind of premeditation doesnt make you happy I dont know what will..:p

Users who are viewing this thread