Premeditation Solutions

Just to quote, you and @angad were the guys who made me hate online first as you guys whacked me fore some 80+ runs in a Five5 match on PS3..So if that kind of premeditation doesnt make you happy I dont know what will..:p

Satisfaction is not about scoring bucket load of runs but its about feeling empowered to play every shot on merit.

@cricket_online Its not like we playing without HUD get the best shot and timing..I play shots late in general as I watch the ball and play, most shots are just for 1 and 2...Its the feel I get out of playing so which makes me play so..And even in real life playing cricket dont we think or try to read the bowler and bat, not all batsman just play the right shots so the mix definitely comes in batting...Maybe we are in a frame of mind where getting it right is more important than playing or even struggling a period for that matter...
And slogs mostly its the batsman's frame of mind which makes him play so, not that delivery was meant to be hit unless its a juicy full toss...The struggle of such play is what makes me to play it again and again, thats what makes me get 250 in one and a duck in the next innings..Some days when the frame of mind is not right I just totally fail to connect such days have made me play 50 off 200 balls where I concentrated on leaving than even touching the ball..Thats what the game brings in..The hint which the game gives now is very effective to play for the length at which its gonna come..Even online for that matter I play without HUD there too so maybe thats the reason I am not enjoying online as people are obsessed with hitting big and winning more than enjoying a game of cricket , not at all generalising but I have had nail biters as well..The main difference being I not being able to be that slogger as I said before I play the shots late, which I feel positive with DBC 17 as it gives the bowler freedom and batsman freedom as well..The challenge when balanced on both sides definitely would give that happy game feel even if we lose, thats what I expect from a game online..

With real cricket you know what you've done wrong if you really think about it, It could be technical. It could be fundamental. You think about it through the week, It can literally consume your thoughts, but you can remedy this through practice. This is a game, I do not want this from a game, a game can't tell you what's wrong with your technique, it won't tell you why you keep knicking the ball, its not going to suggest that your heads not in line, that your foots not to the pitch, that your balance wasn't right, that your elbow needs to be higher, it cant because it doesn't know these things, it has no way of separating the subtleties of why you getting out in real cricketing ways. All it has is preset animations, that need to make sense to viewer who gives inputs, which DBC 14 in my view didn't. I'm with @cricket_online on this that there isn't enough time to make sense of what I'm seeing as a viewer. But I am ranting only of what I've seen in DBC 14 not DBC 17 which I can't pass any judgement on whatsoever, because obviously I haven't played it yet.

Just to quote, you and @angad were the guys who made me hate online first as you guys whacked me fore some 80+ runs in a Five5 match on PS3..So if that kind of premeditation doesnt make you happy I dont know what will..:p

That's my point exactly. I can score bucketload of runs both online and offline. But I will quote @FollowOn as I couldn't have put it better...

Satisfaction is not about scoring bucket load of runs but its about feeling empowered to play every shot on merit.

Thanks FollowOn. Satisfaction from pulling a short ball for a 4 by pre-meditating on the front foot is not the same as getting the same 4 runs by reading that it's a short ball, rocking back on the back foot and pulling the ball for a 4.

Last edited:
With real cricket you know what you've done wrong if you really think about it, It could be technical. It could be fundamental. You think about it through the week, It can literally consume your thoughts, but you can remedy this through practice. This is a game, I do not want this from a game, a game can't tell you what's wrong with your technique, it won't tell you why you keep knicking the ball, its not going to suggest that your heads not in line, that your foots not to the pitch, that your balance wasn't right, that your elbow needs to be higher, it cant because it doesn't know these things, it has no way of separating the subtleties of why you getting out in real cricketing ways. All it has is preset animations, that need to make sense to viewer who gives inputs, which DBC 14 in my view didn't. I'm with @cricket_online on this that there isn't enough time to make sense of what I'm seeing as a viewer. But I am ranting only of what I've seen in DBC 14 not DBC 17 which I can't pass any judgement on whatsoever, because obviously I haven't played it yet.
Call me a fool for taking a game so seriously but this happened to me in DBC 14..Playing in my 90s in career and was confident to reach yet another hundred and then when I was on 98 cruising along I mistimed a slower full length delivery plumb in front playing a leg glance shot ..I thought of that moment so many times during that week as such moments makes the game what it is...And this game is moving towards that point where the game can tell you whats going wrong with the way you played that delivery which created the opportunity and resulted in your wicket.. Hopefully commentary assists in telling you that..
I do have to tell that just because I am happy with the way the game works doesnt mean everyone could..One issue though is you cannot change the approach of shots in advance down which can be done through moving down the wicket while bowler is bowling, as far as general batting stuff goes I go with Ross' post mentioning about the batting being better balanced this time around..
Maybe if @cricket_online could try the demo from a friend's house or some other PC and share his views it would be good on how he feels about it...

What I have observed from DBC17 beta that in this game there is more horizontal and vertical footwork assistance than in DBC14 and now you can play even if you are quite far away from ball and has some what misjudged the length as well , I think this has done in order to incorporate big swing/seaming delivery and more forgiveness if you haven't picked up the length correctly since you don't have to be very close to the ball in order to play it , I think this will definitely gonna help noobs like us to score most runs but still the level of satisfaction of scoring in such a manner is still a big question mark for me right now , hopefully Ross is listening.

Nah I'm not calling you or anyone a fool, trust me, I'm just saying you views are different to mine and that I hope the game developers cater to both of us, not just one of us. As an example ill compare my thoughts to dirt rally vs fifa, I'm no soccer player or rally driver lol for the record. Well they both look like there chosen sports, there both simulators, they both look superb, they both play very well, they both reviewed very highly from reviewers, they both make sense in what there trying to achieve. Anyway I'll stress again I have no interest in either sport, never will try physically doing either. So anyway after having FIFA for the first week I'm hooked, can't put it down, can't fault it, looks as good as it feels. On the other hand there's dirt rally which I had for exactly 6 days before returning it back to EB games for a pre-order on FIFA 17, I will acknowledge dirt rally looked wicked, sounded wicked, felt wicked, but it was just to damn taxing on my concentration, it was hard and unforgiving, I couldn't see myself laying on the couch on a Sunday arvo hungover actually enjoying the challenge of it. So I just hope big ant aren't going down the dirt rally road of being unforgiven and incredibly hard to appeal to those sorts of fans and forgetting to appeal the newcomers and/or casual but passionate fans

Nah I'm not calling you or anyone a fool, trust me, I'm just saying you views are different to mine and that I hope the game developers cater to both of us, not just one of us. As an example ill compare my thoughts to dirt rally vs fifa, I'm no soccer player or rally driver lol for the record. Well they both look like there chosen sports, there both simulators, they both look superb, they both play very well, they both reviewed very highly from reviewers, they both make sense in what there trying to achieve. Anyway I'll stress again I have no interest in either sport, never will try physically doing either. So anyway after having FIFA for the first week I'm hooked, can't put it down, can't fault it, looks as good as it feels. On the other hand there's dirt rally which I had for exactly 6 days before returning it back to EB games for a pre-order on FIFA 17, I will acknowledge dirt rally looked wicked, sounded wicked, felt wicked, but it was just to damn taxing on my concentration, it was hard and unforgiving, I couldn't see myself laying on the couch on a Sunday arvo hungover actually enjoying the challenge of it. So I just hope big ant aren't going down the dirt rally road of being unforgiven and incredibly hard to appeal to those sorts of fans and forgetting to appeal the newcomers and/or casual but passionate fans
Agreed mate..The way which we view and play or approach the game is different.. Yeah dirt rally is ruthless gameplay wise which made me like it more,again that's from my point of view..I have never come first yet on the amount of races I have played in the career but doesn't stop me from playing it..
Hope that what Ross said about the balance being better this time is visible and as you said caters to both types of players...

When i first started playing DBC14 like most people... I had all the aids on... which made me lazy not watching the ball just waiting for the colours to come up... after 6 months of playing i tried playing with nothing... and i played better as i HAD to watch the ball.. It made me such a better player almost instantly. Much more enjoyable bowling and batting. More rewarding :)
on which camera setting did u play
i only play on broadcast cam and have tried this thing of removing the ball trail and the circle around the ball
after doing this i was able to see the ball clearly but not able to judge the length of the ball
so mostly played all the balls on frontfoot

And it's not as if I haven't put enough time in the game. I've been playing DBC 14 extensively for 2.5 years now on PS3 & PS4 across all modes - online, offline casual and career mode - using various HUD options ranging from turning everything on to everything off, and I still struggle to bat without pre-meditation. That's why Big Ant coming up with a solution to customize reaction time while batting is at the top of my wish list as even if i score runs right now it doesn't feel satisfying enough as I score them by pre-meditating nearly all the time. This is the one major gripe I've with DBC as I should be able to bat like the Don in the game but just can't.
exactly the same problem with me too

Just got lucky I guess ;)

Perhaps both mode can be included one as casual and one as hardcore to cater both audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread