Really giving up with batting?!!

My suggestion only if you were planning on giving up batting as the OP was saying. I wasn't giving an idea for batting strategy as such.

Also try changing the camera angle. I play 'bowler far' angle which helps me see the line and length slightly earlier than I can in the other cam angles. Try which one fits your style.

This is good advice IMO. I've found Batsman Close to be the one that suits me best at this stage, but I might try bowler far now to see if that gives me a little more time.

*edit*

Is it possible to play a pull shot to a spinner?

I've been doing some experimenting with pre-meditated shots. The most recent experiments were around pre-meditated front foot pull shots.

I either got drives towards mid on, or flicks to backward square (which got me bowled, because instead of stepping in the direction I moved the LAS, he slid sideways across the crease and got bowled behind his legs)

Last edited:
Done this numerous times!

----------

Do I hold L2. Or press while moving on front foot and choosing a shot all at the same time?

If you were feeling the pace off the deck because you had an actual bat in your hand, then yes - but without any feedback like this, I dispute the idea that pre-meditating blocks does anything except train your hands to block when they should be doing something else.

I always block the first ball so I know how fast they are bowling. The stamina problem also makes this important.

Hence my point...all about the bowler in this game. They forgot about guiding the batman. At least have options available

If you were feeling the pace off the deck because you had an actual bat in your hand, then yes - but without any feedback like this, I dispute the idea that pre-meditating blocks does anything except train your hands to block when they should be doing something else.

gets you the feeling of the pace the bowler is coming at, and what your timing window is going to be.

dispute away.

----------

Hence my point...all about the bowler in this game. They forgot about guiding the batman. At least have options available

my feeling is the hud for the bowler should be tweaked massively or removed altogether.

it makes bowling far too easy, especially with the poor AI batting.

Done this numerous times!

----------

Do I hold L2. Or press while moving on front foot and choosing a shot all at the same time?

If it's pre-meditated, you hold R2 forever. That need not be timed.

----------

gets you the feeling of the pace the bowler is coming at, and what your timing window is going to be.

dispute away.

----------

my feeling is the hud for the bowler should be tweaked massively or removed altogether.

Ah! Bowling is still a mystery to me! Just can't figure out :(

There's a separate thread called 'My batting advice' - highly recommend you use it. If you want to get a little bit better, this is what I do:

1. forget the L2 - I've hit only 1 six in all my DB14 gaming (free hit). It takes timing and skill...and career mode esp, you start with very little
2. learn to 'premeditate' - play front foot shots on everything
3. learn to use your leg side for shots esp off the front foot...easy runs there.
4. constantly check the field - the AI likes to move fieldsmen regularly.
5. when facing left arm bowlers (or around the wicket), avoid cover drives. You will almost always knick it to the keeper (you may get a few away).
6. Take your time and try to enjoy it. Yes its difficult but VERY rewarding, even if you have to 'cheat' (ie. premeditating) to do so. I have scored my solitary century and it was one of the best feelings ever!!
7. oh and ALWAYS play medium/spinners late.

Good luck.

Hold L2 down, push LAS and flick RAS towards fine leg and square leg area. Despite being an average batsman, I score about 5-10 sixes in every T20 game. Beware, after a few sixes, AI puts a few deep fielders in the leg side creating some nervousness for you.

With practice, in my opinion, there is no need to premeditate with any bowler under medium-fast speed... fast you have very little time to do anything so you don't really have a choice but to premeditate. You have enough time with the other speed of bowlers to complete the following steps:

1. Choose back-foot/front-foot and place your foot in line with the pitch of the ball using the left analogue stick (on-side/middle/off-side). Do this as soon as you know what foot position you want to get in, and hold the left stick in position until you have played the shot.
2. As the ball comes closer, decide which direction you want to hit it in, obviously appropriate to the ball being bowled and the field placement, and wait to time the ball correctly. Timing only comes with practice.

When you plan and play your shots think Cricket. It might sound like and obvious thing to say, but the more you visualise what is possible or appropriate in real life, the better your shot selection will become.

Here is some more suggestions from me posted in the Batting Advice thread on how to keep your shots down:

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...orum/my-batting-advice-88980.html#post2767217

Is it possible to play a pull shot to a spinner?

I flagged the fact that it was impossible to pull short deliveries from spinners a couple of iterations of CA ago. I haven't played on console but maybe they haven't altered it. Not sure why, given that the pull is a front line attacking option against spin in real life whenever they drop short.

When I first played CA nets I had a lot of fun playing spin but then they dialled the turn and bounce down, and with it being dead slow to start with it's now just like batting versus my grandma's under arm lobs. Except it was physically possible to pull my grandma's underarm lobs.

My Suggestion .
My experience with the game is you have to have patients.

Fast and Med Bowlers.
I always On drive, Off Drive , hit toward med wicket and leg glace. once No fielder are out there, once time properly you will get four. all about timing i use to play these same shot but normally it use to go up in the and been caught,I had learn from members on this forum. it's all about timing the shot right to hit the ball where you want it to go.
you have to play around with the right trigger the Hitting option some a slight angle can make a difference in the hitting in the gaps.
I am no good cut shot player.

Spinner
I just Sweep, reserved sweep, on side or off side. Always my options.
again timming to get the shot good and where the ball pitch. some time you would get an edge if the ball is going away from you when on driving or off driving. I never got our Sweeping or reserved sweeping.

It's all depends on Practices and patients.
Your best weapon in FC and OD is Defend shot.

I use to make like 12s, 20s, 30s ,since i didnt really had much patients. now i am hitting the 40's + and just got my first century in a T20.

Plus I also Read a lot on this forum many users information really helps a lot.

Once you build your batting attributes in career mode, batting is so much fun. Ofcourse, it is fun only if we don't close our eyes and try 360 degree rotation of the bat with miraculous attempt of slogging all the time like other cricket edition games.

the hardest thing for me is the length, having to play everything front foot as not enough time to see

Taking @blockerdave 's tip about the cut to 3rd man has helped me a lot with playing off the front foot. Now I can cut or pull when it's short and not get castled everytime they bowl a yorker (which happens to me on the back foot).

dispute away.

----------

It doesn't give me any kind of feeling at all, because there is no feedback - tactile or otherwise.

The only thing it does do is tell me what pace _that_ ball was bowled at.

"Oh, 125? Cool, he's tired." Next ball is a 145 snorter, because he started with a slower one ...

I'm not asking for a hud. I'm asking for something to help me understand why I got the result I got on the last shot played. Was I late? Was I early? Did I play down the wrong line because it did something off the pitch?

Don't get me wrong, I would tend to look to defend the first couple of balls off any new bowler, because I approach batting in this game like I approached batting in the meat. I just don't think it provides any assistance in improving ones batting in this game (and in the meat, defending a couple really could give you an idea of the pace of the deck and the bowler)

Taking @blockerdave 's tip about the cut to 3rd man has helped me a lot with playing off the front foot. Now I can cut or pull when it's short and not get castled everytime they bowl a yorker (which happens to me on the back foot).

Thanks man - what was his tip about the cut to 3rd man, or where can I find it myself?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread