Shane Warne vs Muttiah Muralidharan.Who is better?

Who was the better bowler?

• Shane Warne

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Muttiah Muralidharan

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Here's the real reason why, it doesn't matter whether it is 5+1 or 3+3, it's still six.
except it's not a reason why it doesn't matter, it's a reason it might not matter if it could be proved that warne took an equal number of wickets per innings as murali, there for claiming a greater degree of consistency over him. he didn't murali's stats show that he took 3.5 wickets per test to warnes 2.6. also, taking a 5 means you have almost definitely taken a percentage of top order batsmen out, (on rare occassions it's possible that you just dismissed the wicketkeeper and the 4 bowlers, but that's unlikely) it has been shown that murali took a higher percentage of wickets against top order batsmen.

however, overall, I think you've come up with an interesting way of looking at it but I have 2 main issues with organising the stats like that.

1) you discount murali's greater wickets per game record. average does come into it but it is not the be all an end all of a bowlers performance. 5/100 is a greater contribution to a game of cricket than 3/60. you can dress that up as warne not getting the chances murali did or however, but you can only rank a cricketer by what he actually achieved, you can't make hypothesis about warne definitely being able to take a 5-fer in matches he only took 3 wickets.

2) the placing of sri lanka and the windies in the weaker/stronger categories. warne and murali played the windies a lot over various points in their careers and for a good chunk of that the windies would have been considered the stronger team. add this to the fact that the reason you put sri lanka in the stronger team category is pretty much down to murali himself, even wisden states murali is the difference between sri lanka being a good team and a very good team then again murali is getting punished for success.

it works out well for warne this skew because his record against sri lanka is incredibly good, while taking their records against the west indies, even in the west indies, murali is on top. now you can't tell me the west indies is a spin bowling haven?

it's purely at the discretion of the person looking at the stats but given murali missed the series in australia when he was in his prime and only played 5 matches there, 2 at the beginning in 1995, and 2 nearing the end of his career in 2007/08 (and funnily enough, he did manage 5 wickets at 30 a piece in one test in 2005, that would be when he was closer to his best and against a peak power australia) there is an issue whether magnifying these tests to 100 is really a fair reflection.

there's also a slightly unfair balance when people say, murali took so many wickets against weaker opposition whereas warne took so many against stronger opposition when you consider england. england struggled massively against them both. but warne had 20 more tests than murali (36 to his 16) and took 195 of his wickets against them, murali managed 112 at a better average.

I think you have to ask looking at this is, how credible was englands ability to play spin in their careers that warnes wickets in this time are given such presedence over murali's as to be declared as coming from strong opposition? that seems somewhat dodgey to me, murali ran through england with greater ease than warne did, and yet because when warne was playing england murali was packed off to play bangladesh, which he also ran through with ease, his wickets count for less?

Last edited:

ArcherMcKinley

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
MUFC1987 put it the best possible way, Warne is the best leg-spinner and Murali the best off-spinner. That's what the conclusion of a long critical analysis is going to be...

As for individuals, it's always going to be a matter of opinion.

Jagar

Club Captain
I personally think offspin is a more conservative bowling style than legspin, and yet Murali still has more wickets

But I prefer Warne because I am Australian ;)

Owzat

International Coach
except it's not a reason why it doesn't matter, it's a reason it might not matter if it could be proved that warne took an equal number of wickets per innings as murali, there for claiming a greater degree of consistency over him.

Yes, he consistently played Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, and in Sri Lanka, thus stating 800 is more wickets than Warne took ignores the fact that they didn't play under the same conditions and the same opposition the same amount.

Crouch has a great international record, that a lot of his goals are in friendlies and against sh1te opposition doesn't matter to people who NEVER consider looking beyond the face value of a stat.

he didn't murali's stats show that he took 3.5 wickets per test to warnes 2.6. also, taking a 5 means you have almost definitely taken a percentage of top order batsmen out, (on rare occassions it's possible that you just dismissed the wicketkeeper and the 4 bowlers, but that's unlikely) it has been shown that murali took a higher percentage of wickets against top order batsmen.

Conjecture over what taking five means, it could be the top five, it could be the bottom five, it could be 1,4,9,10,11, it could be anything.

As for the last bit, put some supporting stats up because "took a higher percentage" could mean as much as 99% over say 20%, or as inconsequential as 48% over 47% . Quoting missing stats is very misleading indeed, and not at all helpful

1) you discount murali's greater wickets per game record. average does come into it but it is not the be all an end all of a bowlers performance. 5/100 is a greater contribution to a game of cricket than 3/60. you can dress that up as warne not getting the chances murali did or however, but you can only rank a cricketer by what he actually achieved, you can't make hypothesis about warne definitely being able to take a 5-fer in matches he only took 3 wickets.

Wickets per game is skewed because Murali took 493 wickets in helpful Sri Lankan conditions and 176 (he says without looking at his own stats!) wickets was it against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. If Warne had played more matches in Sri Lanka his stats would be improved, that is why I don't think your taking of the stats on a "like for like" comparison when they're clearly not is silly, hence why I am trying to compare as much "like for like" as is possible.

2) the placing of sri lanka and the windies in the weaker/stronger categories. warne and murali played the windies a lot over various points in their careers and for a good chunk of that the windies would have been considered the stronger team. add this to the fact that the reason you put sri lanka in the stronger team category is pretty much down to murali himself, even wisden states murali is the difference between sri lanka being a good team and a very good team then again murali is getting punished for success.

How does bowling against Sri Lankan BATSMEN reflect well on Murali?!?!?!? It would be very harsh indeed to put Sri Lanka in with the weakest sides, and there is more to them being above that bottom group than just Murali - Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Da Silva, Vaas etc. I put Sri Lanka in with the rest simply because they weren't weak like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and West Indies/New Zealand have been ok, not great, but nowhere near as bad as the previous two. I could have split it further but that would be pointless, I think the grouping is reasonable, I doubt many would disagree that there is a gap between those four and the rest, although there is another gap or more within the group doesn't matter for much.

As for the windies decline, it doesn't really matter much but they became pretty ordinary around 2000 and so both Murali and Warne will have had plenty of years bowling at them - in fact Murali went on for three years longer so had three more years of weak windies.

Post 2000 Warne took only 16 wkts @ 22.88 against the West Indies, it amazes me he played them so little in seven years. Murali took 24 wkts @ 22.33 in one series alone post 2000, and 62 wkts @ 21.21 in total post 2000 against the West Indies (nearly 4x as many as Warne)

And that's only 1/4 of Warne's total wickets against West Indies so 3/4 came before they were naff, compared to Murali who only took 20 wickets pre 2000 against West Indies when they were good and sides weren't playing Sri Lanka so much. In fairness I will point out Murali's average was lower than his career vs West Indies pre 2000, but if Warne had played as many Tests and sustained his average post 2000 then he'd have more wickets, a higher wickets per innings rate that you hold in such high regard, and a lower career average.

That is of course (again) not even taking into account where the sides played, I think Murali in his 62% home Tests environment is bound to take more wickets, lower average etc than Warne playing sides in West Indies or Australia.

Didn't Sri Lanka make the King of Spain (Ashley Giles) look like a world beater in 00/01? Giles took more than 11 wickets in a series just THREE times, in Sri Lanka, vs West Indies and in Pakistan.

it works out well for warne this skew because his record against sri lanka is incredibly good, while taking their records against the west indies, even in the west indies, murali is on top. now you can't tell me the west indies is a spin bowling haven?

See above, you're again oversimplifying and pinpointing single instances. Of course one bowler will be way better than another, that's why I grouped rather than compare each country played away individually. Where's the point? That's like comparing two batsmen for the records at say Lords, is it Tendulkar who has a poor record there?

it's purely at the discretion of the person looking at the stats but given murali missed the series in australia when he was in his prime and only played 5 matches there, 2 at the beginning in 1995, and 2 nearing the end of his career in 2007/08 (and funnily enough, he did manage 5 wickets at 30 a piece in one test in 2005, that would be when he was closer to his best and against a peak power australia) there is an issue whether magnifying these tests to 100 is really a fair reflection.

there's also a slightly unfair balance when people say, murali took so many wickets against weaker opposition whereas warne took so many against stronger opposition when you consider england. england struggled massively against them both. but warne had 20 more tests than murali (36 to his 16) and took 195 of his wickets against them, murali managed 112 at a better average.

The 100 wickets magnification was trying to highlight how you can't just look purely at the basic stats and suggest it's fair like much of what you're doing. You seem repeatedly to sit in Murali's corner regards "such and such is better", "such and such is unfair on Murali", etc, but won't concede the very basics that taking lots of wickets against weak sides, and 62% of your wickets in Sri Lanka is a MASSIVE advantage. I've compared like for like as much as is possible, the averages in Sri Lanka, their averages excluding the weaker countries, comparing raw numbers like 800 is pointless because you could say Gavaskar was better than Bradman because he scored more runs, or Tendulkar is better than Bradman because he scored more 100s.

I think you have to ask looking at this is, how credible was englands ability to play spin in their careers that warnes wickets in this time are given such presedence over murali's as to be declared as coming from strong opposition? that seems somewhat dodgey to me, murali ran through england with greater ease than warne did, and yet because when warne was playing england murali was packed off to play bangladesh, which he also ran through with ease, his wickets count for less?

I'm sorry, I speak English not whatever that first sentence is. Outside of England, both took wickets vs England in their own countries so clearly Murali will gain an advantage in Sri Lanka over Warne in Australia.

vs England

Warne (in England) : 129 wkts @ 21.95
Muralitharan (in England) : 48 wkts @ 19.21

Warne (in Australia) : 66 wkts @ 25.82
Muralitharan (in Sri Lanka) : 64 wkts @ 20.70

What a surprise, Murali took his wickets in Sri Lanka a lot cheaper than Warne did in Australia.

I don't know if you're deliberately not getting why taking a shedload of wickets vs Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, thus lowering your career average against whipping boys, and taking loads of wickets in Sri Lanka which is more helpful to spin, thus lowering your career average. THAT is why I've broken it down into comparable chunks, comparing where both played outside Sri Lanka, where both played non-whipping boys, can you not see or do you not want to accept that the evidence is there as to why Murali took more wickets per innings/more wickets total etc ?!?!?!?!?

You say I make interesting points, I wonder if you've read my post or understood it. I don't mean to be rude, but I've laid my post out so replies I'm making to you are already in the original post. If you can't see why I would split them out as I have then I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain because it's not rocket science, any science, more 1+1=2 maths.

I will take Warne's stats bowling in each country so it proportionately reflects his career as if he'd bowled the same number of balls as Murali in each country

Warne (theoretical Sri Lankan)*

in Sri Lanka : 632 wkts @ 20.46
in IND/SRI/BAN/PAK : 747 wkts @ 22.46
in ENG/SAF/AUS/ZIM/WIN/NZE : 198 wkts @ 25.17

Career : 944 wkts @ 23.02

*if he bowled the same number of balls in each country as Murali

More expensive, but 144 more wickets than Murali. I should probably whinge and cry that Warne had a torrid time in India when he began his career, one wicket costing 228 runs. And indeed in Sri Lanka, them nasty Lankans when Warne was only a moderately fat aussie ponce with silly hair. I should probably not make such a comparison, I mean Murali only took his wickets in Sri Lanka every 51 balls while Warne took his every 40, not that bowling in Sri Lanka is advantageous - much. So in fairness it would probably be fairer to say that it wouldn't have been so different if Warne had home advantage Sri Lanka. All that said of course his figures would still reflect who he played and he didn't play Zimbabwe or Bangladesh nearly as often/much and if he'd played them in Sri Lanka maybe he'd have been past 800.

Who truly knows, but my original stats stand as showing that Murali did have advantages and while you could analyse down to ridiculous levels, comparing how the two did outside of Sri Lanka and not including moderate-rubbish sides is justified and correct.

1iram1

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Whats with all these ridiculous VS threads popping up these days? Might as well start a Shakib vs Afridi one now.

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
I personally think offspin is a more conservative bowling style than legspin, and yet Murali still has more wickets

Yes, because he took 62% of his wickets in Sri Lanka and 22% against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

If you extend Warne's figures to reflect the same rates etc against those two sides, except bowling as many balls as Murali did against them he would have taken 837 wkts @ 25.26

Again that isn't factoring in where they were taken, where and against who in what proportions the two factors most relevant when comparing. Cricket is a rare sport where you can play a normal length or even long career, but not everyone has to play the same number of series or matches in a series so you could choose to play the weaker sides more and just fill your boots.

Teams like Australia and England tend to offer fewer Tests to the weaker sides, often to dovetail with other series. So say aussies play five Tests in England, England would ask West Indies, Bangladesh or Zimbabwe to play 1-2 as a warm up. The reason some sides like Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Pakistan get 3-4 is to make up the bog standard seven per summer/winter, Sri Lanka play more ODIs and won't possibly EVER get offered a five Test series. We might have played them in four to fill up TV, I mean Test slots in a summer.

West Indies used to play us 5-6 Tests in a series, they've had none since 2000 that long if you rightly discount abandoned Tests. Last time prior to 2000 that they played less than five Tests was 1973.

Sri Lanka have only played 10 series vs Australia, since 89/90 it's been 2-3 Tests in a series of which Sri Lanka have won only once and indeed only one Test.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Yes, he consistently played Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, and in Sri Lanka, thus stating 800 is more wickets than Warne took ignores the fact that they didn't play under the same conditions and the same opposition the same amount.

Crouch has a great international record, that a lot of his goals are in friendlies and against sh1te opposition doesn't matter to people who NEVER consider looking beyond the face value of a stat.

why quote me and then ignore the fact my quote said per innings? murali (and this is excluding bng and zim) took 3.44 wickets per innings, warne took 2.6. this is a fact you are ignoring by rounding everything up to averages, this is a significant difference and one your "100 wkts" each stat neglects to mention as it omits how many tests they would have taken to get it.

I think it's pretty clear that taking 5/105 is a more significant contribution than taking 3/60 and yet in the first instance the 5-fer is actually taken at an average a whole run worse than the 3 wicket haul.

Conjecture over what taking five means, it could be the top five, it could be the bottom five, it could be 1,4,9,10,11, it could be anything.

As for the last bit, put some supporting stats up because "took a higher percentage" could mean as much as 99% over say 20%, or as inconsequential as 48% over 47% . Quoting missing stats is very misleading indeed, and not at all helpful

ok, the stats are

top 6 batsmen
murali = 57% of wkts
warne = 54% of wkts

bottom 3 batsmen
murali = 22.5% wkts
warne = 26.6% of wkts

both stats exclude bng and zim, although interestingly I wonder how many of bng's and zim's batsmen were worse batsmen than the bottom 3 batsmen of other teams.

Wickets per game is skewed because Murali took 493 wickets in helpful Sri Lankan conditions and 176 (he says without looking at his own stats!) wickets was it against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. If Warne had played more matches in Sri Lanka his stats would be improved, that is why I don't think your taking of the stats on a "like for like" comparison when they're clearly not is silly, hence why I am trying to compare as much "like for like" as is possible.

went back and told you, all stats I'm using exclude those two teams and and even away from home murali took more wickets per test (excl. bng and zim again) 3.3 per innings to warnes 2.6. to reiterate your entire breakdown completely ignores the fact there are two numbers in a players match bowling figures. runs taken AND wickets taken. why turn this into 100 wkts per team thing to ignore this, why not just take the averages of each team and compare like for like that way?

How does bowling against Sri Lankan BATSMEN reflect well on Murali?!?!?!? It would be very harsh indeed to put Sri Lanka in with the weakest sides, and there is more to them being above that bottom group than just Murali - Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Da Silva, Vaas etc. I put Sri Lanka in with the rest simply because they weren't weak like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, and West Indies/New Zealand have been ok, not great, but nowhere near as bad as the previous two. I could have split it further but that would be pointless, I think the grouping is reasonable, I doubt many would disagree that there is a gap between those four and the rest, although there is another gap or more within the group doesn't matter for much.

which is exactly the point, murali's bowling success doesn't impact on sri lanka's batting but he was still pretty much the reason they were so succesful over that period. aside from the mainstays in sri lanka's batting line up, they've had to rely on players like dilshan, jayasuriya, samaraweera, these are not markedly better players than gayle and sarwan. why do you think the west indies declined? was nothing to do with batting it was being unable to replace bowling talent like ambrose and walsh.

As for the windies decline, it doesn't really matter much but they became pretty ordinary around 2000 and so both Murali and Warne will have had plenty of years bowling at them - in fact Murali went on for three years longer so had three more years of weak windies.

Post 2000 Warne took only 16 wkts @ 22.88 against the West Indies, it amazes me he played them so little in seven years. Murali took 24 wkts @ 22.33 in one series alone post 2000, and 62 wkts @ 21.21 in total post 2000 against the West Indies (nearly 4x as many as Warne)

And that's only 1/4 of Warne's total wickets against West Indies so 3/4 came before they were naff, compared to Murali who only took 20 wickets pre 2000 against West Indies when they were good and sides weren't playing Sri Lanka so much. In fairness I will point out Murali's average was lower than his career vs West Indies pre 2000, but if Warne had played as many Tests and sustained his average post 2000 then he'd have more wickets, a higher wickets per innings rate that you hold in such high regard, and a lower career average.

That is of course (again) not even taking into account where the sides played, I think Murali in his 62% home Tests environment is bound to take more wickets, lower average etc than Warne playing sides in West Indies or Australia.

pure conjecture, warnes average in the west indies was 39, these were all played before they were naff (though again, like i said, before the bowling was naff, no discernible change in the batting personel. murali's average actually went up series by series as they played, so unless you think murali was getting worse from 97 to 2003 to 2008 (he probably was off his peak by then, reflected by the 31 average) or as I suspect the pitches were getting flatter as, which they were, it's a bit of jump to say warne would have torn his average down over the years with credibility.

and for the record, murali's average in the west indies is still better than his career average at 23.

Didn't Sri Lanka make the King of Spain (Ashley Giles) look like a world beater in 00/01? Giles took more than 11 wickets in a series just THREE times, in Sri Lanka, vs West Indies and in Pakistan.

yeah and kumble was generally tonked about there, as was h. singh, and mushtaq ahmed and paul adams has nightmares from his time in sri lanka. kumble and musthtaq have better records in australia, we could play the exceptions to the rule game all day.

interestingly though, over their careers, away pace bowlers averaged 40 in australia and 34 in sri lanka. and away spin bowlers averaged 50 in australia and 42 in sri lanka. almost, almost an identical percentage difference in the two averages, the higher ones in australia accounted for by their superiority in this time period. now, I'm not suggesting sri lanka isn't better for spinners and australia isn't better for pace but it does certainly indicate that in a match the success of the two forms of bowling are not as vastly seperate as you're making out.

See above, you're again oversimplifying and pinpointing single instances. Of course one bowler will be way better than another, that's why I grouped rather than compare each country played away individually. Where's the point? That's like comparing two batsmen for the records at say Lords, is it Tendulkar who has a poor record there?

no, that's not over-simplyfing, it's a matter of opinion where the correct line of simplification lies, comparing records at lords is over-complicating in my opinion, comparing country for country where conditions differ is a perfectly reasonable level to analyse the stats.

looking at the stats for each player in each country individually away from home there is not one country warne performed significantly better than murali.
I would say he did better in south africa. new zealand and england murali has better stats but warne did almost as well and in the west indies and pakistan murali was easily better.

you could try and give warne another point by saying his average was 2 runs better in india, but at 43, to murali's 45 it's a bit of a stretch whether that means anything.

The 100 wickets magnification was trying to highlight how you can't just look purely at the basic stats and suggest it's fair like much of what you're doing. You seem repeatedly to sit in Murali's corner regards "such and such is better", "such and such is unfair on Murali", etc, but won't concede the very basics that taking lots of wickets against weak sides, and 62% of your wickets in Sri Lanka is a MASSIVE advantage. I've compared like for like as much as is possible, the averages in Sri Lanka, their averages excluding the weaker countries, comparing raw numbers like 800 is pointless because you could say Gavaskar was better than Bradman because he scored more runs, or Tendulkar is better than Bradman because he scored more 100s.

every single stat I've quoted is minus the two weaker teams, and it's also notable warne never bowled against the strongest team of the era.

against all teams excluding bng and zim, murali averages 24.8, better than warne, against all teams excluding bng and zim AND australia it drops back down to 23.7.

and for the last time, I have not compared raw numbers I have compared the average wicket per test of the two. a wicket is the bowlers meat and drink and the achievement of which he is most relied on to deliver. just as a batsman is relied on to deliver runs, you are comparing the runs they concede with the runs a batsman scores, these are two different types of stats. kallis takes wickets at 32, zaheer khan at 31, actually flintoff takes them at almost exactly the same average as kallis. are you suggesting if their averages in each country matched up that would make them comparable bowlers? no, because khan delivers wickets at almost twice the rate of kallis, flintoff a little under.

I'm sorry, I speak English not whatever that first sentence is. Outside of England, both took wickets vs England in their own countries so clearly Murali will gain an advantage in Sri Lanka over Warne in Australia.

well, since you're getting snarky, the word missing from my sentence is "what" however, it hardly surprises you're unable to fill in obvious blanks as you've based you're entire arguement on stats that ignore gaping discrepencies.

vs England

Warne (in England) : 129 wkts @ 21.95
Muralitharan (in England) : 48 wkts @ 19.21

Warne (in Australia) : 66 wkts @ 25.82
Muralitharan (in Sri Lanka) : 64 wkts @ 20.70

What a surprise, Murali took his wickets in Sri Lanka a lot cheaper than Warne did in Australia.

yeah and at a better average in england as well. what would warnes stats have been if he bowled in sri lanka constantly? well, from almost every number, his stats in almost every country, his actual stats in sri lanka we can probably make a guess it would have been slightly more than murali.

I don't know if you're deliberately not getting why taking a shedload of wickets vs Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, thus lowering your career average against whipping boys, and taking loads of wickets in Sri Lanka which is more helpful to spin, thus lowering your career average. THAT is why I've broken it down into comparable chunks, comparing where both played outside Sri Lanka, where both played non-whipping boys, can you not see or do you not want to accept that the evidence is there as to why Murali took more wickets per innings/more wickets total etc ?!?!?!?!?

yeah, all stats exclude bng and zim and it's still lower. and as we already noted, his average is lower in the majority of away countries as well.

You say I make interesting points, I wonder if you've read my post or understood it. I don't mean to be rude, but I've laid my post out so replies I'm making to you are already in the original post. If you can't see why I would split them out as I have then I'm probably wasting my time trying to explain because it's not rocket science, any science, more 1+1=2 maths.

I will take Warne's stats bowling in each country so it proportionately reflects his career as if he'd bowled the same number of balls as Murali in each country

Warne (theoretical Sri Lankan)*

in Sri Lanka : 632 wkts @ 20.46
in IND/SRI/BAN/PAK : 747 wkts @ 22.46
in ENG/SAF/AUS/ZIM/WIN/NZE : 198 wkts @ 25.17

Career : 944 wkts @ 23.02

er, no, that is extremely theoretical and falls down in practice and means nothing. murali bowled against a variety of different countries you cannot equate the sri lankan batting line up as a mean average for all nations. that is a joke of a statistic. why don't we just pick the country they were most succesful in,murali was actually most succesful in england so if he was english it follows he'd be a better bowler than he was being a sri lankan one?

*if he bowled the same number of balls in each country as Murali

but he didn't and it's extremely generous to say he could. if sehwag could survive the same amount of balls as dravid he'd have an average in 80s. one of murali's strengths was the ability to bowl long stretches in a match and thus contribute more.

More expensive, but 144 more wickets than Murali. I should probably whinge and cry that Warne had a torrid time in India when he began his career, one wicket costing 228 runs. And indeed in Sri Lanka, them nasty Lankans when Warne was only a moderately fat aussie ponce with silly hair. I should probably not make such a comparison, I mean Murali only took his wickets in Sri Lanka every 51 balls while Warne took his every 40, not that bowling in Sri Lanka is advantageous - much. So in fairness it would probably be fairer to say that it wouldn't have been so different if Warne had home advantage Sri Lanka. All that said of course his figures would still reflect who he played and he didn't play Zimbabwe or Bangladesh nearly as often/much and if he'd played them in Sri Lanka maybe he'd have been past 800.

well, his figures in bangladesh are kinda poor (over 27). so maybe it's lucky he didn't have Shahriar Nafees and Habibul Bashar tonking him about for more games. :rolleyes

Who truly knows, but my original stats stand as showing that Murali did have advantages and while you could analyse down to ridiculous levels, comparing how the two did outside of Sri Lanka and not including moderate-rubbish sides is justified and correct.

again, it's not because it boils down averages, and relies on extreme conjectures all landing favourably for warne, it's called statistical manipulation and I've highlighted pretty clearly the stats it fails to address. interesting arguement though, cut the snark and I look forward to the reply.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
The real question though is being ignored.

Stinkybo v Owzatt. Which one loses?

The answer is both in case anyone wasn't sure...

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well, that's the thing isn't it. if people prefer warne then that's cool, he was bloody good, but that was why I made the comparison with the akram mcgrath thread. if you don't like murali because you don't like his action, or you liked warne's charisma, showmanship and ability to do magical things, that is cool, I'm not a cricket nazi. I argued exactly the opposite, in favour of these qualities in the akram thread when someone said they couldn't possibly understand why people would prefer akram.

but there is no permutation of stats that prove warne was better, murali was the mcgrath, and number wise the more effective and consistent wicket taker. plain fact.

Users who are viewing this thread