Sidebottom retires from International cricket

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Really wasn't expecting this from Sidebutt. Will always remember his threatening swing bowling in the 07 England tour.

My coach back in India, VB Chandrasekhar, said that I bowled a lot like Sidebottom. So I guess there is a connection there! :p

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
i am shocked by this news. England have really missed the trick here he should've been playing all this time instead of bits and pieces Bresnan and Wright who both have never done anything.

P

pcfan123

Might be why he retired, seeing a pie chucker like Bresnan being selected ahead of him recently.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The guy had such a funny last last name. I agree England were stupid to have sidelined him for so long for crap bowler like Bresnan.

Dutchmen

Club Captain
other bad news. Freddie and now this man, Ryan Sidebottom, who had a pretty good domestic bowling average. from the past 10 years he only played 22 Tests, 25 ODIs and 18 Twenty20s for England. 'lol'.... does he play domestic cricket?

Last edited:

khalek

Panel of Selectors
He's definitely gonna be missed, always tried his best on the field for England.

Owzat

International Coach
Might be why he retired, seeing a pie chucker like Bresnan being selected ahead of him recently.

A bit like Carragher in football, it's one thing to have to fight for your place but when rubbish players are picked before you then enough is enough

I think there has to be something to this 'retirement' though, I mean he wasn't exactly playing a lot for England so it sounds like a statement like 'I'm fed up of not being picked' otherwise surely he would have just waited until he was picked again.

He tidied up his figures in all versions of the game for England, except maybe in ODIs he never quite got that average down low enough

RJ Sidebottom

Tests : 313 runs @ 15.65 (HS 31) & 79 wkts @ 28.24 (BB 7/47)
ODIs : 133 runs @ 13.30 (HS 24) & 29 wkts @ 35.83 (BB 3/19)
T20Is : 5 runs @ n/a (HS 5no) & 23 wkts @ 19.00 (BB 3/16)

He played 3/5 of his ODIs against New Zealand and Australia taking 12 wkts @ 55.67, against the rest he took 17 wkts @ 21.82. But still his overall ODI average is better than Yardy (43.93) and Bresnan (38.44) who are pretty much regulars at the moment.

I'd have rather hoped Sidebottom would have toured, left-arm variation and suitable for Tests and ODIs. Maybe that is why he announced his retirement now, to avoid being picked and having to tour in the winter. Couldn't he just have declared himself unavailable and considering retirement? (if that is the case)

Users who are viewing this thread