Flintoff announces retirement

Flintoff sucked anyway. So over-rated.

I agree he was over-rated, doesn't mean he sucked though

He did perform well in a few big games - like the Ashes and ODIs with the ball though.

He had some good games and one or two big series, but in general he never lived up to expectations. I always feel he bowled a bit too short, made him hard to get away but reduced his wicket threat. I also feel he was too often used as a stock bowler and should have bowled less overs and in shorter spells.

Sad to see him having to give it all away after working his ass off for a year just to try and get back in the game, then you have people at the other end throwing it away for a bit of cash. Life isn't fair, is it?

One of the most inspirational and most passionate people I have ever seen play the game.

Last edited:
Looks like he's a marmite cricketer - still, I think he was over-rated as a consistent cricketer, but on his day he was a definite match winner.

One of my most favourite cricketer in the game, he was really superb on his day.

As Biggy said, it's sad that he worked hard to get in the game but it was bound to happen. I was expecting it from past year.

By far one of my favorite non Indian cricketers. What a star. I can't believe people are calling him over rated, he was by far the best bowler in the team. He always looked like getting a wicket, roughed batsman up, and it was always some lollypop bowler like Broad or someone that would end up with the wicket in the end. He was the guy batsman watched out for. He was the guy who could throw down throat-high bouncers at 90mph. He was the one who could deliver the yorkers at the death of the innings.

He was simply the talisman of the team. The whole team played better when he was in there. I don't know what match it was, but recently Flintoff came back from Injury, took a few wickets, and really the whole team just lifted after that. Iirc they won the test.

One of my favorite Flintoff moments was this last Ashes series. It was Phillip Hughes on strike, after plundering runs for Middlesex, and Flintoff on to bowl. First ball, a big bouncer topping 90mph and some in your face sledging. "Welcome to Test cricket, kid!" The whole over was awesome.

Hughes was soon dropped.

People can say he was overrated but I think he just added so much to the team in other aspects. Sad he didn't have some better stats but he was never really a guy to take the big bags of wickets and big runs. I agree completely Cricketman he would usually bowl so well from one end then other end bowler would pick up the rewards.

I think he will be missed from England's ODI team they could really use a player just like him to fill the spot of Bresnan and Wright who for only god knows why they continually get picked.

Andrew Flintoff throughout his career as a whole was somewhat over-rated, but what caused people to rate him that highly was what he did in a 2 year spell between '03 and '05, with the Ashes being the climax of a magnificent run of form. Between July '03 and the end of The Ashes in '05 Freddie scored 1790 runs at 42.61 with 3 centuries, and took 102 wickets at 27.94. Those are the stats of a world class all-rounder, and a peak where he could have made the England side on batting or bowling alone. Interestingly, his ODi stats in that time period look superb too. 1140 runs at 51.81 with 3 centuries at a strike rate of 98.19 and 44 wickets at 21.22. For those 2 years, I'd say he was the best cricketer in the world.

Freddie's problem was that he was picked FAR too early, and then after '05 he only managed 1 more epic series, in India, but was plagued with injuries and couldn't put together sustained spells of cricket due to his knee problems. In his prime he was the best all-rounder in the world. Kallis was excellent, but he's always been very much a batting all-rounder, and you could never really say Kallis could have made it into the South African side on bowling alone, with Flintoff you could.

To just dismiss Fred's accomplishments with ludicrous statements like "he sucked" is just laughable. Flintoff has bowled some of the greatest spells of quick bowling I've ever seen. The '05 Ashes was filled with them. There's that 1 over where he nipped out 2, and was all over one of the best players in the world in Ponting before getting him to edge behind, it was a magnificent over, and probably the best over of fast bowling I've ever seen, and some of the innings he played were ridiculous. When Flintoff had form and confidence with the bat he could take anyone apart. It's a real shame his purple patch didn't last longer, if he had managed that for his whole career he'd have gone down as the greatest of all-time. What a player, and what a man.

Andrew Flintoff throughout his career as a whole was somewhat over-rated, but what caused people to rate him that highly was what he did in a 2 year spell between '03 and '05, with the Ashes being the climax of a magnificent run of form. Between July '03 and the end of The Ashes in '05 Freddie scored 1790 runs at 42.61 with 3 centuries, and took 102 wickets at 27.94. Those are the stats of a world class all-rounder, and a peak where he could have made the England side on batting or bowling alone. Interestingly, his ODi stats in that time period look superb too. 1140 runs at 51.81 with 3 centuries at a strike rate of 98.19 and 44 wickets at 21.22. For those 2 years, I'd say he was the best cricketer in the world.

Freddie's problem was that he was picked FAR too early, and then after '05 he only managed 1 more epic series, in India, but was plagued with injuries and couldn't put together sustained spells of cricket due to his knee problems. In his prime he was the best all-rounder in the world. Kallis was excellent, but he's always been very much a batting all-rounder, and you could never really say Kallis could have made it into the South African side on bowling alone, with Flintoff you could.

To just dismiss Fred's accomplishments with ludicrous statements like "he sucked" is just laughable. Flintoff has bowled some of the greatest spells of quick bowling I've ever seen. The '05 Ashes was filled with them. There's that 1 over where he nipped out 2, and was all over one of the best players in the world in Ponting before getting him to edge behind, it was a magnificent over, and probably the best over of fast bowling I've ever seen, and some of the innings he played were ridiculous. When Flintoff had form and confidence with the bat he could take anyone apart. It's a real shame his purple patch didn't last longer, if he had managed that for his whole career he'd have gone down as the greatest of all-time. What a player, and what a man.

+1, he took Gilchrist apart as well, I hated to watch that.

Now that he's gone what will he do next?

Pass on some of his knowledge to young guys coming through or coaching?

Being such a character part of me thinks he would be amazing in the media either for analysis or just banter. Just hope he doesn't sell out too much.

What would you guys like to see him do?

Users who are viewing this thread