With cricketers quitting international cricket for IPL, should IPL be finally granted a window?

Should IPL be granted a window?

• Yes. All the players want it

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • No. Its just another "domestic" tournament

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Iv read every post in this thread and posted on topic. You just cant take that someone doesn't like the IPL and that all your attempts to convince ME otherwise didn't work out.

Now did you get it? I meant, talk about yourself and your point of view. Don't put "us" in it.

1. I have never said such things so don't even try to put words in my mouth.

2. I don't need someone else to tell me whats good or not, I'm a grown man I can do that on my own. I dont need you to convince me on this IPL thing, it on its own has done that for me.

You have a preconceived and a bit of an uninformed notion and can't see it challenged. Its alright for me though. To each, his own.

And just like you, I don't need you telling me whats good and whats not. Gee, you seem to have different yardsticks for different people. If you tell someone something, its fine. If someone tells you something, you say you don't need someone else to tell you whats good or bad.

I think I should stop responding to rants in this thread. We are having everything but a civilized debate. So lets post only when we think we can actually contribute to the debate.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Giving the IPL a window won't change anything. Players are attracted because of the money. They realize that they only have to play Twenty20 matches for a period of two months, and then they get their checks. The players will think to themselves that to better their chances of higher play they should physically get be prepared for the IPL, thus contemplating not playing some International matches. Playing 12 months of Cricket for the small amount they get, is less attractive than the two months with Giant pay. The way to fix the problem is to pay them higher. This is up to the boards and the ICC. Why do you think in other sports such as Football, Baseball and Basketball, people choose to play in the proper leagues? It's because they are paid like professionals are supposed to be paid. If the ICC is able to provide contracts such as the ones in Baseball for example, the IPL would not be seen as so special by the players. Baseball players have a minimum pay off $500,000 and some of the best make over $20 Million a year. If they make the window, players will be more committed to the IPL rather than International duties. Eventually the IPL will expand into bigger things. The Champions League is also there... how many more months will be needed for that "window"? Eventually that window will keep getting bigger and bigger, and Test Cricket will die out. There isn't enough support to keep it in most countries. Plus players would rather play a 3 hour match, rather than a 5 day match anyways. these next few years for International Cricket are very important.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
And just like you, I don't need you telling me whats good and whats not. Gee, you seem to have different yardsticks for different people. If you tell someone something, its fine. If someone tells you something, you say you don't need someone else to tell you whats good or bad.

I argued your claims that IPL made cricketers better and helped them be discovered when that's not the truth. I never told you need to like test cricket more then 20/20.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Us? Talk about yourself and thats all someone can do.

As for you not being convinced otherwise, the point is you just DONT WANNA BE CONVINCED. You wanna be rigid and believe Lalit Modi is Satan, T20 is Evil and Players supporting it are Devils. Thus, no one can help out :)

What are you talking about. The other day you posted four links that supposably backed up your claims, except when people actually went a read what was on each link it didn't say anything about what you were claiming. Anyone that say's that the West Indies troubles are because of the IPL not having a window shouldn't even get the time of day, because they obviously don't have a clue.

Stop trying to fight the fact your've been proven wrong countless times, most people in this thread aren't having a go at the IPL, they're having a go at your claims that for the most part are idiotic.

No doubt you'll reply to this in some sort of manner that has nothing to do with what I've written, most likely asking me why I hate the IPL for no reason, and claiming I must be some sort of nine year old.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well buddy, IPL has actually been a boon to a lot of cricketing nations. It has helped unearth Shaun Marsh, helped Shane Watson make a comeback... read more here - I have seen the light.

Marsh was not unearthed by the IPL, it gave him the opportunity to impress the Aussie selectors but he was in no way unearthed by the IPL. This is when he was unearthed Cricinfo.com by WA way way way before the IPL began. And I remember you saying similar about Warner, he was never unearthed by the IPL and his T20 and ODI selection also had nothing to do with the IPL. It was due to this and this knock.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Giving the IPL a window ... these next few years for International Cricket are very important.

Agree with you that T20 is getting bigger by the day. And that cricket is being shortened to make a quick buck by many boards. ECB's dumped the 50 overs format in their domestic structure and so has CSA. This is bad news for cricket. Players are happy. They're making the kind of money they couldn't even dream of once upon a time. We need to check this advent of T20 a bit. And giving a window is a way of doing that as then the ICC can tell, "We've given you a window of blah blah months. You can fit your tourney in it". This is good for everyone... for the ever increasing "give us a window" players, for the frustrated "give them a window" boards and the fans.

Everyone happy and everyone lives in peace :)

What are you talking about. ... for the most part are idiotic.

It takes 2 to Tango, buddy. Your comments are just as "idiotic" as mine supposedly are. Learn to digest the fact that you can't be right all the times. I still think you are a good kid. Learn to keep yourself in check. Don't go about insulting them. Learn to respect people and their opinions. And when discussing a topic, do NOT go off-topic.

Being the "Best New Member", I think you should be knowing all this :).

I'm always up for a debate, but no one should try to cross swords and act smart.

I understand you are a kid high on passion. But passion can make people unreasonable at times. And that is what I have a problem with. Otherwise, I tend to overlook your rants a lot.

Marsh was not unearthed ....

Great work with the links, buddy. As for the "unearth" comment, Micheal Atherton once said, "When in Rome...". Yes, he did say "dot dot dot" :p

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Technically there shouldnt be a window for the IPL. The reasons are already mentioned in the thread. But another thing that one must take into account is that players will eventually force their boards to let them off during the time the IPL comes around. IMO there will be an "unofficial" window for the IPL when there would be very less amount of international cricket or none at all. Personally though I wouldnt want to see that, but I guess it is inevitable. Maybe not now but in a few years time

An interesting decision would be to divide a cricketing season into Tests, ODIs and T20s. During the T20 season we can have all the domestic T20 tournaments. I am not too sure if this idea works or not. Thoughts on it?

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
^^^ Seems like a good idea. But purists might say that categorizing and slotting formats at different times in the year might affect the fans' response towards certain formats. Also, there will be minimal sponsors for certain formats at certain times, which would be highly dependent on the fans' choice.

Its a great idea though :)

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
fearsome tweak it. Give the IPL a window. If only because it provides financial security to the players, in a sport where it's athletes are not paid enough for what they do. Financial security would help us in more ways than one, but I'm not getting into that. Financially secure players will result in happier players, which is a win win for everybody. Yeah it's a domestic tournament, and it will lead to the downfall of Test Cricket, but ultimately the players decide over their future, and if they want to participate in the IPL, who is to stop them? Obviously they will take the fat check over four weeks worth of Cricket, to a low salary amount worth over a years amount. So either the ICC needs to cough up the money to provide for it's players, or they should let the BCCI do it for them. A cricketer will always look to his family more than Cricket, as Cricket is only a game in the end. Once the players are financially secure, leagues like the IPL won't hold such importance to them, as the need for money dies out.

P

pcfan123

If you give them a window they will just get greedier. Already the pig Modi wants 2 IPLS a year and IPL 3 has been increased to a lot more games than IPL2.

Giving these █████ a window will just fuel their avarice.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
@ Nick... Finally. Fi-bleepin-nally. Someone says what must be said. Don't force the players to choose between formats. Let them play the IPL if they want. Some board or fan not liking the IPL is not going to help the player sustain his family, earn & raise them. He needs money, like Tino Best had said about the groceries. Financially secure players = everyone is happy.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
If you give them a window they will just get greedier. Already the pig Modi wants 2 IPLS a year and IPL 3 has been increased to a lot more games than IPL2.

Giving these █████ a window will just fuel their avarice.

Yeah and if the players were paid like they should, then they wouldn't agree to this. Just look at all other big organized sports. The NFL, NBA, MLB. The league minimum is somewhere around 500,000 per year. So even the bench warmer makes 500,000 per year to just sit on his ass for 98% of the time. The players are happy, they are committed and are not tempted into higher paying leagues in Europe because money is not an issue anymore. They want to play in the best, to prove that they are the best. The best in Cricket is International, but they aren't payed like they are the best, so they are obviously tempted into playing for in these higher paying leagues. You pay them top dollar for their hard work and commitment, then all of this IPL talk will die down, and the players themselves would be against playing in it more than once a year. They have the central contracts, with the better players earning more. Now they just need to have a maximum and minimum. The best will make 1,000,000 per year. The average will make 600,000-700,000 and the bare minimum should be around 300,000-500,000. Once the players are satisfied, they will be more than happy to oblige with their respective board as well as the ICC.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pakistanis players don't participate in the IPL so I don't really care about it.
I enjoy English domestic more because they Play ODI aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread