Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

Umm it seems to stop when there is around 250 GB space left, around halfway and yes at the same place most of the time.

All I really have are some movies and music I'm trying to send over, otherwise it's not much.

My computer has no viruses and I'm pretty sure my external hard drive doesn't either, I've only used it to back up my system around a year ago and all that was backed up is now on my system anyway...

It says it's working well when I go to drivers and stuff.

I don't know how to check how it's formatted and I have no idea what FAT32 is, how do I go about checking it?

Also any chance my back-up is over 500 GB so it stops halfway? I'm not sure why it would stop halfway though.

In My Computer, right click the external HDD, and click properties. On the properties window that opens, there would be something called "Filesystem", and it would be showing NTFS or FAT32.

It's not a virus. Most likely it's a faulty HDD, or that it encounters a corrupt file. Have you tried backing up bits and pieces?

It's NTFS. I also checked the drive for errors and no errors were found, neither was any fragmentation.

How would I back up bits and pieces? And what exactly gets backed up?

Lol sorry I was typing something else and had to rush so just posted :p
By bits and pieces I meant, for example, rather than copying the entire movies folder, copy 1 movie at a time, especially once you are about to reach the 250Gb mark.

OK, do I was just using Backup and Restore on Windows 7 I guess I will do it one by one like you say.

I also have another laptop in the house and a couple of 8 GB flash drives so I can use all of that to get it all backed up I guess.

Are there any settings or anything else I'll need to back up that would be picked up by Backup and Restore?

Can someone suggest me a good antivirus ?

A good and reliable one.

Microsoft Security Essentials is the best IMO, does the job, is free and is light on the system.

I've also used Norton and McAfee and those are both awful, the latter corrupted the data on my laptop and I had to restore it.

My laptop won't shut down for some reason, even after reinstalling Windows. It's either stuck on the Shutting Down screen or restarts with a BSOD. If the latter happens, I get an error message saying "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown". Problem details:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	a
  BCP1:	FFFFFFFFFFFFFFD8
  BCP2:	0000000000000002
  BCP3:	0000000000000000
  BCP4:	FFFFF800030B322B
  OS Version:	6_1_7600
  Service Pack:	0_0
  Product:	256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\101313-40950-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Simon\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-61043-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

The problem first happened when Windows automatically downloaded an update and got stuck when trying to install it. I thought reinstalling Windows would do it, so I reinstalled without enabling automatic updates. Worked fine for the first few times but the same problem is occurring again.

Need some help. :)

Same thing happened to me when updating my McAfee antivirus, and since there was no way of uninstalling the program without restarting the computer, I was forced to restore to factory settings.

Windows Update is similar, something you can't uninstall and something that the system needs.

I'm not an expert but most likely you'll have to restore, wait for an expert opinion though. It isn't a big deal if you have Windows 7 though, you won't even need to backup to an external hard drive as the system will do it just before you restore and all your files will be there when it's done.

Can someone suggest me a good antivirus ?

A good and reliable one.

I use Norton since 2008. I have not had any issues whatsoever. IMO, Norton is the best ever. It doesn't slow down my system like McAfee and Kaspersky did. I does not identify many false positive stuffs. Its very accurate. I have no issues and with my experience i will hands down recommend this product to anybody.

By the way, Microsoft Security Essentials is not an anti virus. It is just an updated version of Windows Firewall.

----------

Just wondering, if I upgrade to Windows 8 and revert back, the problem shouldn't come back, should it?

Update your BIOS first. If it says that your BIOS is the latest version, still do a reinstall. That should solve this issue. If it does not work, revert to Windows 8 and then reinstall BIOS to the latest version and come back. This should solve it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread