Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

Does the tray (empty or with the cd loaded) eject or when you put in a cd, the cd keeps ejecting instead of reading?

Could be an issue with some script trying to access the CDROM, and finding it empty, it ejects. Check your startup items and running scripts if there is something which even slightly concerns CDs.

Thanks. It works fine while the CD being read. It successfully read the CD for a couple of hours, so I guess its just the problem while the CDROM is empty?

I've got what appears to be a dead pixel line or a stuck pixel line on my laptop. It's a light blue line and I ran a test and it was not visible on white but it what on all other colours. Any way of fixing it without replacing anything?

Also does warranty usually cover these things?

There are a number of online webpages that can help with that sort of thing, they alternate between colours to try and fix the stuck line. I can't remember any links off the top of my head sorry

Yeah I obviously did quite a bit of googling first, just want to know if there are others who have experienced it and know a sure fire fix.

I was pressing the screen a bit when it happened so I'm scared that I caused a permanent fault in the screen by breaking something... Ever since I bought it though there's been an occasional single stuck pixel on that line so I'm not sure really...

Does that line appear before windows loads, or starts in windows?
If I'm thinking what it is, it's most likely a hardware issue - a faulty display. I've had one in one of my laptops, and that line has steadily grown over time, becoming thicker.
This is usually covered in warranty, so you should be fine if you're under warranty period.

It's only there when there is something to display, as soon as I startup and windows is loading it is there.

I did a test I saw on the internet where I hooked up an HDMI cable to my TV and the line was only on the laptop screen so I'm certain it's a faulty display.

I think I am still under warranty which is good.

Dead pixels that stay black are normally unfixable, but if the pixels just stay the same non-black colour despite the pixels around them changing, then there is a decent chance they can be fixed. But if it's under warranty then just do that

I've had one in one of my laptops, and that line has steadily grown over time, becoming thicker.
This. I experienced it with my Sony Vaio and it was under the warranty that time. It was fixed and the person said there was a fault in that whole series of Sony. It kept growing!

I have it in my Sony Vaio as well, but since I was out of warranty, they asked me Rs 10000 (IIRC) to replace the display. I decided to live with the white line coz I use that laptop sparingly. If they had a problem with displays, they should have replaced it for free :mad

I'm trying to back-up my system to my external hard drive before I get it fixed.

It's a 500 GB hard drive, and even though it's empty some of the space is taken up. Also, when I back it up, it stops halfway repeatedly and says there isn't enough space when there is still another 180 GB to fill? What the hell? Any way for me to just get the back up done easily to my hard drive? My back up is less than 500 GB.

I'm trying to back-up my system to my external hard drive before I get it fixed.

It's a 500 GB hard drive, and even though it's empty some of the space is taken up. Also, when I back it up, it stops halfway repeatedly and says there isn't enough space when there is still another 180 GB to fill? What the hell? Any way for me to just get the back up done easily to my hard drive? My back up is less than 500 GB.

There should be a virus or something....try scanning it first and then back-up.

What format is the external HDD formatted as? FAT32 causes problems with large files/ large disks.
Does it always give the error at a particular capacity, or randomly at any capacity? Could be a faulty HDD, which has developed some bad sectors around that area.

Users who are viewing this thread