Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

Have you checked Hidden and system files? Maybe it's created a shadow of the installation..

OR..
It might have created a system restore point, which is using up a lot of space. You should delete a few Restore points.

Dead right!

Thanks for that Abhas. There's another directory by the name found.000(Hidden as system directory) that is 3.73 Gb. Within it are some Linux system files. Deleted it. My space is back!

Ah, jaan mein jaan aa gayeee!!:happy

Thanks again mate!

:cheers

EDIT : I'm going to try installing Ubuntu again the same way...hope it works this time.

Last edited:
When you make those optimizations with TuneUp, it first asks about what connection you have. I guess you have specified a dial-up or some other lower setting than your current setup and TuneUp has adjusted like wise. Just go through the optimization process again and set the correct connection type.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew that but there are no settings for my type of connection.SO I guess that your idea is right:)

mukund, if you want to just casually try ubuntu like me, there's a better way

Install VirtualBox
Its a virtual machine software. Using it you can make a virtual machine - for the hard disk it creates a .vdi file on your windows file system of the hard drive size you want the machine to have. There's a wizard anyways so it should be pretty self explanatory - if you have any problems post it here.

Nevertheless, once your virtual machine is set up, start it. It'll ask you for boot media - and there'll be a mount with ISO option. Choose the ubuntu iso, and it'll boot from it.

Now what'll happen? Basically you just created a virtual machine - for the linux installation, its just a natural machine environment. It basically emulates a machine, which is why you can use it just like a normal installation, and such is the beauty of this method. :)

Moreover, personal opinion, you just have to try the newest kubuntu. If you didn't know yet, ubuntu uses Gnome desktop whereas Kubuntu uses KDE. The newest Kubuntu has KDE 4.1 or something but the newest KDE, and in one word, its SPECTACULAR! Here's a screenie -

kde4.jpeg

News2_0.jpg

kubuntu810.jpg

Dead right!

Thanks for that Abhas. There's another directory by the name found.000(Hidden as system directory) that is 3.73 Gb. Within it are some Linux system files. Deleted it. My space is back!

Ah, jaan mein jaan aa gayeee!!:happy

Thanks again mate!

EDIT : I'm going to try installing Ubuntu again the same way...hope it works this time.

Cheers..
Abhas is always right ;) :cool: :p

If ever you experience lack of disk space, the best places to check are:
Temp folders
System Restore Directory
and, Files/Folders like FOUND.000, etc

Clean them out regularly.

mukund, if you want to just casually try ubuntu like me, there's a better way

Install VirtualBox
Its a virtual machine software. Using it you can make a virtual machine - for the hard disk it creates a .vdi file on your windows file system of the hard drive size you want the machine to have. There's a wizard anyways so it should be pretty self explanatory - if you have any problems post it here.

Nevertheless, once your virtual machine is set up, start it. It'll ask you for boot media - and there'll be a mount with ISO option. Choose the ubuntu iso, and it'll boot from it.

Now what'll happen? Basically you just created a virtual machine - for the linux installation, its just a natural machine environment. It basically emulates a machine, which is why you can use it just like a normal installation, and such is the beauty of this method. :)

Moreover, personal opinion, you just have to try the newest kubuntu. If you didn't know yet, ubuntu uses Gnome desktop whereas Kubuntu uses KDE. The newest Kubuntu has KDE 4.1 or something but the newest KDE, and in one word, its SPECTACULAR! Here's a screenie -

Oh I tried that already. By any chance are you following the recent Digit issue here? Unfortunately, I have a crappy system with onboard graphics and 512 Mb RAM. I tried the Virtualbox with the latest Fedora, but thanks to my lack of RAM it was taking forever to install. Then I came across this Wubi installer which is even better than installing with Virtual box. It installs Ubuntu just like any other application in your Windows OS. Just adds an extra boot entry at start up so you can boot into Ubuntu. No partitioning, boot record changes or anything, and a snap to uninstall.

KDE is looking quite superb there. Infact Gnome/Compiz is what was causing the problem earlier for me. Apparently it has issues with Intel 845G systems. So had to unistall it first at start up using terminal. That was quite geeky actually, something I'm not used to! But it's working now, but without the Compiz bells and whistles. This is apparently a bug in the latest version. I had tried Ubuntu before and Compiz was working fine for me.

Presently I'm having trouble connecting to the internet, which is why I installed Ubuntu in the first place! Phew, already a lot of messing around and still more to come!:)

mukund_nadkarni added 43 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Eureka!
Finally managed to connect to the internet in Ubuntu through my USB modem!
:happy
Now I need to cutomise this Ubuntu to Mukubuntu!:D

Last edited:
Here's a screenie. I have changed the sytems fonts which are rather large for my monitor. More once I have it customised the way I want. It is actually working a bit slow, maybe because I've uninstalled Compiz(some other users have noted the same), or maybe because there's not much free space for the swap file.

Anyways, will report later how things go along.

screen.jpg

i have a question guyz. i have a virus or some thing little dangerous in my pc and that is name ahsan manan khan bhutta. my computer is named ahsan computer my documents ahsan documents my network places ahsan places and recycle bin george w bush.
also when open internet explorer it says ahsan manan khan bhutta.
when ever i open task manager it disables and when i installer opens to install some thing it goes off in 3 to 10 seconds so i have to press next quick.
any help apricated
i tried running antivirus not much luck and cannot reinstall windows again as i have partitions and some drives are corrupted

i have a question guyz. i have a virus or some thing little dangerous in my pc and that is name ahsan manan khan bhutta. my computer is named ahsan computer my documents ahsan documents my network places ahsan places and recycle bin george w bush.
also when open internet explorer it says ahsan manan khan bhutta.
when ever i open task manager it disables and when i installer opens to install some thing it goes off in 3 to 10 seconds so i have to press next quick.
any help apricated
i tried running antivirus not much luck and cannot reinstall windows again as i have partitions and some drives are corrupted

Download Process explorer from here: [link]
Right click on any suspicious running process and kill process.

After the above, to enable Task manager, just download and run the utility here : [link]

Go to Run from Start menu(Win key + R) and type msconfig. When msconfig opens go to startup tab and check if any suspicious process is scheduled to run at computer start up. Uncheck if you find any. If you have TuneUp Utilities, you can go to the Start Up manager and remove those entries for good. But this is not neccessary.

Restart PC and check if problem persists.

How do I block certain sites from my Firefox, so that I can leave them on the list but take them off when I want to use them.

I saw this once when I was fiddling around but I can't seem to find it now.

You may use a Firefox Addon : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3145

Or, there is another way, block the site using the Hosts file.

Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator
Go to the Start Menu> Run
Type notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts assuming you have Windows installed in C Drive.

Put the following line in hosts:
127.0.0.1 www.google.com (whatever you want to block)
File > Save.
Now try to open www.google.com with any web browser on the PC.

Remove the line you added from hosts to restore access to the Google web site

Last edited:
You may use a Firefox Addon : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3145

Or, there is another way, block the site using the Hosts file.

Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator
Go to the Start Menu> Run
Type notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts assuming you have Windows installed in C Drive.

Put the following line in hosts:
127.0.0.1 www.google.com (whatever you want to block)
File > Save.
Now try to open www.google.com with any web browser on the PC.

Remove the line you added from hosts to restore access to the Google web site

Thanks. :)

That second one doesn't work because it wants a host name. What does it mean by that?

Also, do you get rid of the text it has there or keep it?

Last edited:
You have probably set the Refresh rate too high, or the resolution is more than what your monitor can support.
You should also check the monitor cable for a loose connection.

When does the error occur? The moment you start your computer, or when Windows starts to load up. If it is the former, It is most likely the monitor cable, or the graphics card may have become loose.

Abhas added 3 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Thanks. :)

That second one doesn't work because it wants a host name. What does it mean by that?

Also, do you get rid of the text it has there or keep it?

try putting :

127.0.0.1 www.google.com
127.0.0.2 google.com
127.0.0.3 www.google.co.au

etc...

I havn't really worked much with the Hosts file, but that is theoretically how it should behave.
You need not delete the earlier stuff, since it would be preceded with a # , which signifies its a comment, and can be ignored.
Make sure you do not put # before your entry.

Abhas added 1 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Basically, you are redirecting the IP of these websites to the local ip 127.0.0.1. It searches for the website on 127.0.0.1, but this being your own computer, cannot find the site.

Users who are viewing this thread