South Africa Team Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Waiting for some experts to tell us how AB will find it tough to find a spot in this batting line up! :lol

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Now THAT sucks. We have tons of fast bowlers but we'll battle to find someone as talented as Rilee.[DOUBLEPOST=1483618378][/DOUBLEPOST]
Waiting for some experts to tell us how AB will find it tough to find a spot in this batting line up! :lol

Not when Bavuma and JP are doing what they are doing.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now THAT sucks. We have tons of fast bowlers but we'll battle to find someone as talented as Rilee.
Why are they leaving ? Is it because of the distress of Quota system and unable to find place in playing XI or due to financial reasons ?

For Kyle- Rabada, Philander, Steyn and Morkel are the competitors. Steyn is injured most of the times and if Kyle bowls better than Morkel, he will be in the side right ?
For Rilee- I don't see many competitors who can challenge him. Amla, deKock, Faf, JP and ABD are the main batsmen. Rilee can fit in easily. I don't see why he is leaving too.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
Why are they leaving ? Is it because of the distress of Quota system and unable to find place in playing XI or due to financial reasons ?

For Kyle- Rabada, Philander, Steyn and Morkel are the competitors. Steyn is injured most of the times and if Kyle bowls better than Morkel, he will be in the side right ?
For Rilee- I don't see many competitors who can challenge him. Amla, deKock, Faf, JP and ABD are the main batsmen. Rilee can fit in easily. I don't see why he is leaving too.

The problem is quota and security. For Abbott as soon as Steyn comes back who's getting dropped so he can try again? If a black bowler tears apart the domestic circuit who's making way? If we decided to have two spinners who gets left out? There's no security for his place. This time next year he could be out the picture and the down the list of SA bowlers even if his average is below 25. He can't live (and doesn't deserve) on a SA domestic contract and with the wages he'll get and consistent cricket at a high level (higher then the SA domestic circuit) it's a very reasonable move. He's also been treated so badly by CSA in the past he probably doesn't have an insane passion to represent them.

The same goes for Rilee. He's been the next ABD+Amla for years now but he's been dropped and 'rested' and let go so often in the ODI arena he probably feels he'll never be able to have a good international career and that's when the wages come into play. He also should have atleast 20 test caps by now but he's been constantly overlooked. When players like Bavuma jump the cue (although he's proven people wrong now) that Rossouw has been leading for years it probably really started pissing him off. One thing is he's 27 and I think he's had a couple county stints so I imagine he isn't too far away from British citizenship.

If there was no Brexit they probably would have stayed for a couple years to see how things panned out but now they have to either make a move right away or not and they can't risk playing for 6 years on the SA domestic wages.

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
The odd thing with Rossouw is that his is a 3 year deal with 4 required for residency in the UK. Given the Brexit trigger will be pulled by then and Kolpaks a thing of the past it just seems a little counterintuitive unless previous stays count towards the residency criteria?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Now THAT sucks. We have tons of fast bowlers but we'll battle to find someone as talented as Rilee.[DOUBLEPOST=1483618378][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not when Bavuma and JP are doing what they are doing.

What are you on about? Is it a personal vendetta? JP and Bavuma could score a couple of thousand runs in the calendar year and you'd still be mad to put them ahead of AB. I don't see you talking about the slump in Amla's form ever! Hash and AB have scored runs all around the globe for SA and CSA would be mad to drop them!

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
What are you on about? Is it a personal vendetta? JP and Bavuma could score a couple of thousand runs in the calendar year and you'd still be mad to put them ahead of AB. I don't see you talking about the slump in Amla's form ever! Hash and AB have scored runs all around the globe for SA and CSA would be mad to drop them!

My context was that no one can deny AB a place in the XI because 2 batsmen are playing crap.

stefan

International Coach
It has to do with money. Neither would be jumping to the UK and giving up their international chances if they had deals like Miller & Morris have in the IPL.

This security thing is a joke. None except the very top stars have any security in pro sport.

Quotas played some role but it's not the reason here...

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
It has to do with money. Neither would be jumping to the UK and giving up their international chances if they had deals like Miller & Morris have in the IPL.

This security thing is a joke. None except the very top stars have any security in pro sport.

Quotas played some role but it's not the reason here...

I think security is a reason.

Let's say Rilee bombed in test cricket or just wasn't good enough to be in the top 5 white players. He could easily be dropped from ODIs as well (especially now with quotas) after a couple bad games and if that were to happen he would be living in domestic wages. Abbotts deal was before he started playing regularly so he definitely had the idea of 'I'm not playing and they've screwed me over enough' in the back of his mind. I don't think security is the right word but maybe opportunity (which is because of quota).

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for South African cricket fans to see some of their best players take this kolpak deal. Kyle Abbott was one of the most impressive bowler I have seen recently and could have been absolutely amazing in all three formats. This quota system and especially politics is destroying cricket in South Africa. Two players full of potential leaving is not only big blow to South African cricket but also international cricket.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
The odd thing with Rossouw is that his is a 3 year deal with 4 required for residency in the UK. Given the Brexit trigger will be pulled by then and Kolpaks a thing of the past it just seems a little counterintuitive unless previous stays count towards the residency criteria?

It's unlikely that Brexit will actually take place for at least another 3 years or so and it's most likely that anyone already employed here will be allowed to stay on. Contract extensions prior to entering the last year of a contract are fairly common in county cricket so that's always an option if not anyway. It's also actually a minimum of 5 years residence to apply for British citizenship I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread