Steam update for DBC17 released

Just got 5 wickets including a hat-trick in a test innings with the "slash ball onto pad and get caught at silly mid-on" dismissal. Hate to sound like a buzzkill but it's getting to the point where I'd rather they just completely removed that shot again...

I really don't want to reach a point where if you want the AI to make a good total there are just some field positions you should never use, because I feel like that is the case currently.

Difficulty settings?

Just got 5 wickets including a hat-trick in a test innings with the "slash ball onto pad and get caught at silly mid-on" dismissal. Hate to sound like a buzzkill but it's getting to the point where I'd rather they just completely removed that shot again...

I really don't want to reach a point where if you want the AI to make a good total there are just some field positions you should never use, because I feel like that is the case currently.
I'm not quite in the camp of having the shot completely removed yet...after 940 hours of DBC14 not getting one. I do get the point, though, that sticking someone in at silly mid-on and bowling googlies from round the wicket to a right-hander is too effective at getting dismissals this way. It must be tough for BA, we demand bat-pads...they give us bat-pads...we demand removal of bat-pads. That said I would prefer that most of these came off defensive prods than drives and, as @blockerdave has commented, the chance of a catch was less than 100%.

By the way, did you get any non-yorker bowled or LBWs? I had three career games (so not enough overs to judge...particularly the game I spent as 12th man) and didn't see one. I did get a really nice caught-behind bowling a googly to a left-hander who tried to play defensively off the front foot. The ball turned just enough to get the finest edge to the keeper. Looked really authentic. Despite some annoyances this game still produces some great moments that feel genuinely like real cricket.

@Spoobir @cricket_online it's not a question of removing this shot, it was always played frequently by the AI, but the pad physics were nerfed so it never created a chance. the defensive prod edge on to pad (the real source of most bat pads in real life) doesn't seem to exist, so this was the solution to give bat pads and try to give an element of captaincy and thinking of where to place fielders and how much to attack.

BUT, I have to admit it's unbalanced the game, to the point where there's no captaincy again because you of course put in a short-leg and/or silly mid-on whatever the circumstances...

I don't believe the solution is just removing the shot, i think it's to do some or all of the following:

• if possible, randomise the pad physics / spring so more fall short or even fly too quickly. at the moment every one is a "chance", and that shouldn't be so.
  • significantly reduce the frequency with which the AI plays the shot, especially against pace bowlers.
  • significantly reduce the circle within which a close fielder can take a catch
  • EVERY bat pad in manual and semi-auto fielding should be a reaction (mini-game slow mo) catch, and the timing window should be short. in auto fielding, the chances of a drop should be high. currently every "chance" is a wicket, and that shouldn't be so
this will hopefully give us the balance we seek.

I'm not quite in the camp of having the shot completely removed yet...after 940 hours of DBC14 not getting one. I do get the point, though, that sticking someone in at silly mid-on and bowling googlies from round the wicket to a right-hander is too effective at getting dismissals this way. It must be tough for BA, we demand bat-pads...they give us bat-pads...we demand removal of bat-pads. That said I would prefer that most of these came off defensive prods than drives and, as @blockerdave has commented, the chance of a catch was less than 100%.

By the way, did you get any non-yorker bowled or LBWs? I had three career games (so not enough overs to judge...particularly the game I spent as 12th man) and didn't see one. I did get a really nice caught-behind bowling a googly to a left-hander who tried to play defensively off the front foot. The ball turned just enough to get the finest edge to the keeper. Looked really authentic. Despite some annoyances this game still produces some great moments that feel genuinely like real cricket.

Nope, didn't see a bowled or LBW in that innings.

@Spoobir @cricket_online it's not a question of removing this shot, it was always played frequently by the AI, but the pad physics were nerfed so it never created a chance. the defensive prod edge on to pad (the real source of most bat pads in real life) doesn't seem to exist, so this was the solution to give bat pads and try to give an element of captaincy and thinking of where to place fielders and how much to attack.

BUT, I have to admit it's unbalanced the game, to the point where there's no captaincy again because you of course put in a short-leg and/or silly mid-on whatever the circumstances...

I don't believe the solution is just removing the shot, i think it's to do some or all of the following:

• if possible, randomise the pad physics / spring so more fall short or even fly too quickly. at the moment every one is a "chance", and that shouldn't be so.
  • significantly reduce the frequency with which the AI plays the shot, especially against pace bowlers.
  • significantly reduce the circle within which a close fielder can take a catch
  • EVERY bat pad in manual and semi-auto fielding should be a reaction (mini-game slow mo) catch, and the timing window should be short. in auto fielding, the chances of a drop should be high. currently every "chance" is a wicket, and that shouldn't be so
this will hopefully give us the balance we seek.

I don't think I want to remove the shot. I simply want AI to put up a decent total according to the conditions. I've been following the posts and match experience of the PC/Steam community and one thing which struck me was how easy it is to knock over AI batsmen. You just have to wait and they will eventually fall. I have yet to see or hear about any experience where AI batsmen went one session without losing a wkt or were 400 odd for 3 or 4 wkts down, which happens quite often in Tests.

I want a competitive AI coz rolling out AI for 200 or thereabouts regularly will wear off eventually and you will be left with the option of simulating AI innings to get a competitive game. It should be hard to dislodge AI batsmen, which I'm not seeing right now.

Last edited:
I don't think I want to remove the shot. I simply want AI to put up a decent total according to the conditions. I've been following the posts and match experience of the PC/Steam community and one thing which struck me was how easy it is to knock over AI batsmen. You just have to wait and they will eventually fall. I have yet to see or hear about any experience where AI batsmen went one session without losing a wkt or were 400 odd for 3 or 4 wkts down, which happens quite often in Tests.

I want a competitive AI coz rolling out AI for 200 or thereabouts regularly will wear off eventually and you will be left with the option of simulating AI innings to get a competitive game. It should be hard to lodge AI batsmen, which I'm not seeing right now.

i agree. i think it's not far off, the AI is playing much better. as far as i can see, addressing the batpad overkill (without removing them) and removing the front-foot cut to cover will have a big impact on the AI. additionally some sort of increased confidence boost in shorter formats might also be looked at.

I wonder if it might be possible to tone down the power of this chop onto the pads and lob in the air. I have had my WK run to silly point to catch the ball couple of times. It's funny when it's not happening to you. Granted I did not play tests in the recent weeks and it may be a bigger issue in the longest format.

I wonder if it might be possible to tone down the power of this chop onto the pads and lob in the air. I have had my WK run to silly point to catch the ball couple of times. It's funny when it's not happening to you. Granted I did not play tests in the recent weeks and it may be a bigger issue in the longest format.
I think it is a bigger issue in tests because it still happens from I've seen in ODI/T20 but there are not usually close fielders.

i agree. i think it's not far off, the AI is playing much better. as far as i can see, addressing the batpad overkill (without removing them) and removing the front-foot cut to cover will have a big impact on the AI. additionally some sort of increased confidence boost in shorter formats might also be looked at.
I think a boost in longer forms is needed. T20, on the whole is quite good now. Having conceded 330 in 43 overs in an ODI the batting is clearly working quite well.

Won't be home for a few hours to test, so how're the AI dismissals now? I think I saw a few pages back Bowled/LBWs are happening in AIvsAI matches. Any luck getting them yourselves?

. the defensive prod edge on to pad (the real source of most bat pads in real life) doesn't seem to exist, so this was the solution to give bat pads and try to give an element of captaincy and thinking of where to place fielders and how much to attack

This of course is what really needs addressing, defensive bat pads. May need to rely on Franco's hack as he has seemed to achieve this IIRC?

My suggestion for bat pads especially is:

currently nearly every bat pad "chance" is a wicket... i think the fielders round the bat should have a much smaller circle in which they can move to take catches, every bat pad should be a reaction catch, and the timing for them should be small.This would enable them to tune back the physics on the drive bat pads a bit,making it all a bit more realistic. I dont see any reason why this cant be clubbed with your suggestion, which also makes a lot of sense to me, to create a more realistic situation on the bat-pads.

we might not see the "worldies" but it keeps the dismissal mode in there but more balanced.
I've been thinking a bit about this and one idea I had was making the forgiveness on defensive strokes a lot lower. Currently its more a footwork/timing thing but if there was more pressure to ramp up defense because low defensive skills lead to more loopy bat padding the way drives do, then it might work. I think your suggestion also makes sense, and I dont see why both cant be clubbed to create a more overall realistic situation. Or maybe they can't- I'm no coder, just a cricket fan.

Users who are viewing this thread