Steve Bucknor announces retirement

Sad to see him go, iss arguably the 3rd best umpire at the moment behind Taufel and Aleem Dar. Not really a fitting thread title.

Its a Indian fan talking about Bucknor leaving, didn't expect anything else. Wonder where all the Indian umpires are:rolleyes:

Its a Indian fan talking about Bucknor leaving, didn't expect anything else. Wonder where all the Indian umpires are:rolleyes:
Umpiring at the level they should be--domestic cricket. Unlike Bucknor. ;)

EDIT: Changed the thread title to be more accurate.

Umpiring at the level they should be--domestic cricket. Unlike Bucknor. ;)

EDIT: Changed the thread title to be more accurate.

Bucknor would be the Sachin Tendulkar of umpires if he was doing his job in India.

he was a good umpire.. just made a few bad decisions in recent years but I will be sad to see Bucknor go.

^^The few list includes huge numbers which was many a time responisble for the defeat in team

party time, better for the world of cricket referral system was promoted because of umpires like steve and Gamini (SL Umpires)

Not sure what that means so I have no response to it.
He's taking a jab at Indian umpiring standards (which are quite poor, India haven't produced an umpire to the elite panel yet I think?)

Basically, if Bucknor was Indian, he would be considered the "best umpire of the century"

Basically, if Bucknor was Indian, he would be considered the "best umpire of the century"

Yeah, especially if all his wrong decisions were to happen to Ricky Ponting!;)

Last edited:
Because they a sour losers and judge his entire career over one match in which their team was involved with (of course)

He was a great umpire, one of the best. Pitty how one match gets blown out of proportion.

While Stevo said that in such a way, which.....might have been phrased better ;) I do agree with him. That one match got blown out of preportion, if it had been England vs West Indies, everyone would have just forgotten it, but due to cricket being such an important part of life in India, you got the totally over the top reaction which we saw in the press.

Because they a sour losers and judge his entire career over one match in which their team was involved with (of course)

He was a great umpire, one of the best. Pitty how one match gets blown out of proportion.

Not one match. People are so pigeonholed in their views about Indians at times. Just because we didn't agree with some of the decisions in that match doesn't mean we do the same after each and every match. I certainly have no recollection of us doing so after or before that match in any instance.

I didn't like Bucknor because of more than just that match. He had been going downhill since 2004. He was good before that but he began losing his touch.

The point about us not having an umpire in the ICC Elite Panel is irrelevant really. Just because we don't have an umpire doesn't mean we aren't allowed to comment on the quality of the umpires that are in it.

Users who are viewing this thread