Steve Bucknor announces retirement

Its a shame that a few Indian members see a few mistakes and label him a poor umpire/ think "OMG HE HATES INDIA".

He was an awesome umpire, get over it.

Read my post on the 2nd page. Everyone seems to have missed that.

Its a shame that a few Indian members see a few mistakes and label him a poor umpire/ think "OMG HE HATES INDIA".

I don't think anyone denies that he was a very good umpire, but he had his share of blunders. Now unfortunately there were quite a few of them against India. This does not mean that Indians are not aware of his credentials otherwise, but it more amusing here in India to dwell on his bloopers!:p That is to say, when you mention Bucknor to me I'm more inclined to chuckle than bow in reverence!:D Nothing serious!

I don't think anyone denies that he was a very good umpire, but he had his share of blunders. Now unfortunately there were quite a few of them against India. This does not mean that Indians are not aware of his credentials otherwise, but it more amusing here in India to dwell on his bloopers!:p That is to say, when you mention Bucknor to me I'm more inclined to chuckle than bow in reverence!:D Nothing serious!

that is why you are "Indian cricket fans"

that is why you are "Indian cricket fans"
To be honest, buddy, it sounds like you refuse to admit that Bucknor's standards have gone down just because you support the West Indies. As scion's post showed, it's not all because of one series that Indian fans have a bone to pick with Bucknor.

Someone argued that we need to list other umpires' mistakes and that Indian fans just think that we are on a higher moral plateau or something. Well, if the latter was the case then we should have vendetta's against several international umpires. The fact that Bucknor has been singled out is not simply coincidential--it is a reflection of a huge change in his performances over the years.

and your a dumb little kid, or at least you act like one.

What?! Aren't I entitled to my own opinion? I truly think Chris Martin is a good batsmen just as Steve Bucknor was an awesome Umpire :hpraise

Wow, nice to see all of you standing up for Big Bucky. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Bucknor I guess chooses to be an awesome umpire against everyone except India, so that's all we see of him to make a judgment about him.

Cricketman added 1 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

He's taking a jab at Indian umpiring standards (which are quite poor, India haven't produced an umpire to the elite panel yet I think?)

Basically, if Bucknor was Indian, he would be considered the "best umpire of the century"

Venkatraghvan?

To be honest, buddy, it sounds like you refuse to admit that Bucknor's standards have gone down just because you support the West Indies. As scion's post showed, it's not all because of one series that Indian fans have a bone to pick with Bucknor.

Someone argued that we need to list other umpires' mistakes and that Indian fans just think that we are on a higher moral plateau or something. Well, if the latter was the case then we should have vendetta's against several international umpires. The fact that Bucknor has been singled out is not simply coincidential--it is a reflection of a huge change in his performances over the years.

No I recognize his bad decisions but I don't make a huge deal about it. I was as mad as any Indian fan was about the wrong decision he made in one of the Australia tests but didn't call for his head.

And yea his performance has slipped but don't forget that he stood in every world cup final since 92, why didn't any of you Indian fans mention that instead of bashing the guys accomplishments because of a few bad decisions.

Dont see people calling for Koertzens head after the decision he gave against Sangakkara when Sri Lanka was in Australia last time.

Every umpire in the world has made just as many bad decisions if not more but they don't get exposed because some people know how to get on with life.

And yea his performance has slipped but don't forget that he stood in every world cup final since 92, why didn't any of you Indian fans mention that instead of bashing the guys accomplishments because of a few bad decisions.
No one has bashed the guys accomplishments. I think almost everyone who is happy about Bucknor's retirement has taken the time to commend his achievements as being a good umpire in his time.

Every umpire in the world has made just as many bad decisions if not more but they don't get exposed because some people know how to get on with life.
Umm... I think the issue is not how many bad decisions he's been making but that he still hasn't been calling it quits. If you look at his compatriots, they've peacefully retired from the Elite Panel at the correct time (the likes of Shepherd, Bird, Venkatraghavan, etc.). If Bucknor had retired when he had originally planned to (sometime in March 2007, IIRC) he would have gone out of the game with far more respect from the Indians, even if he has had a highly publicized and infamous affair with them.

Damn it. A lot of people will lose jobs in India :( How will they make and sell effigies if Bucknor doesnt umpire anymore? :(

Right, that is the funniest thing I have ever read on PC!!!:cheers

Chris Martin IS an awesome batsman, entertainment wise!

And lastly, back on topic, I will be really sad to see him go

Very good news.... Have fun with the rest of your life, Bucknor!

saisrini80 added 4 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

If others feel he is great, good for them. Most Indian fans will feel that he always was against them. Its not one or two series. Its been over quite a few games more than that. I am delighted that he is going!

No one has bashed the guys accomplishments. I think almost everyone who is happy about Bucknor's retirement has taken the time to commend his achievements as being a good umpire in his time.

It makes me want to burst out into song.

good news ..

Thank god for this. There's a few more i'd love to see go also.

good news. i am really happy to see him go. thank god.

Damn it. A lot of people will lose jobs in India :( How will they make and sell effigies if Bucknor doesnt umpire anymore? :(

Umm... I think the issue is not how many bad decisions he's been making but that he still hasn't been calling it quits. If you look at his compatriots, they've peacefully retired from the Elite Panel at the correct time (the likes of Shepherd, Bird, Venkatraghavan, etc.). If Bucknor had retired when he had originally planned to (sometime in March 2007, IIRC) he would have gone out of the game with far more respect from the Indians, even if he has had a highly publicized and infamous affair with them.

He did his job to the best of his ability at all times and if the Indians don't respect him than its their own fault.

In the last two or so years his 'abilities', ie his eyesight, hearing, etc, diminshed. It was his time to retire a while back, but he persisted to go on.

In the last two or so years his 'abilities', ie his eyesight, hearing, etc, diminshed. It was his time to retire a while back, but he persisted to go on.

true he should have gone in 07 when he originally planed it.

Users who are viewing this thread