Steve Bucknor announces retirement

He did his job to the best of his ability at all times and if the Indians don't respect him than its their own fault.

Of course it is our fault! Anything else that is our fault? We are here to fault to you know. You be sure to help us stay that way!
:D

Steve Bucknor was an elite panel umpire whose position was never in doubt until the Sydney Test when a certain set of fans decided it was time for him to go. Coincidentally, it's that same set of fans who seem to pay particular attention to umpiring mistakes over the years which is pathetic.

Looked through the whole thread and the only people having a go at Bucknor were nearly all Indians, so don't try and beat around the bush with rubbish about he was going down hill. You guys are bitter about it, WE KNOW. Get over it. Bad umpire decisions happen all the time, it is called being human.....

Right, noone read it, so I'll reiterate.

Not one match. People are so pigeonholed in their views about Indians at times. Just because we didn't agree with some of the decisions in that match doesn't mean we do the same after each and every match. I certainly have no recollection of us doing so after or before that match in any instance.

I didn't like Bucknor because of more than just that match. He had been going downhill since 2004. He was good before that but he began losing his touch.

The point about us not having an umpire in the ICC Elite Panel is irrelevant really. Just because we don't have an umpire in the panel doesn't mean we aren't allowed to comment on the quality of the umpires that are in it.

If he has been going downhill since 04', then why did no one complain? Been around PC for a while, never recall a complaint about Bucknor until the Sydney Test which was an entire 4 years after his apparent 'downward' spiral.

If he has been going downhill since 04', then why did no one complain? Been around PC for a while, never recall a complaint about Bucknor until the Sydney Test which was an entire 4 years after his apparent 'downward' spiral.

I complained. I just wasn't active in the cricket chat until the 1st test in Australia. I complained off the forums though. I can't justify my 'non-activeness' (Is that a word? :p).

I complained. I just wasn't active in the cricket chat until the 1st test in Australia. I complained off the forums though. I can't justify my 'non-activeness' (Is that a word? :p).

Shravi I know you pretty well. That is weak by your standards ;)

I dunnow, I've always thought Bucknor sucked. From 2003 onwards. Every match I've seen him in, he's been poor. Bangladesh, India, West Indies. He also seemed to hate the Deshis. It was like he was thinking 'Bah, he's from Bangla. He's probably out. I know it looks close, but how can I give him the benefit of doubt when he averages 10 with the bat?'. Or when we have someone LBW, 'C'mon, it's Ricky Ponting against Tapash Baisya. I'm sure he can handle himself. Not like some bloke averaging 50 with the ball is gonna get him out. It looks close, but he must be safe!'

I think he's made as many probably less wrong decisions barring Aleem Dar and Taufel in the last few years. If you look around the International circuit he is in my eyes still the 3rd best, regardless of this rubbish of him "going down hill". Look at England's last match against the West Indies to see how much better he is than some of the umpires around and yet I don't see English nor West Indian fans in arms at how poor the umpiring was Swann had 3 or 4 plumb LBWs turned down in a row, it all comes across as Indian fans always trying to prove everyone is against them as shown by the posts in these forums for the last few months, all be it not all of them.

Bucknor might have been good. I just never had the fortune of seeing him do a good job. I've seen all the others make great calls and wrong ones, but not Bucknor. For him it was mostly wrong ones...

Bucknor didn't make "mostly wrong" decisions people, Indian fans imparticular, excessively highlight the wrong decisions he may have made disregarding his all of his good work which forms the majority of his career up to this day in my opinion.

If you'll get off your high horse for a moment, I said I never saw him make good decisions. Not that he never did it. It's very possible he was a good umpire. I just never saw it.

Im not on a high horse but what is the point in commenting on someone you admit haven't seen that much of?

Actually Bucknor's first run in with the Indians started back in 2004, so Shravi is right.

Cricinfo - Bucknor riles the Indians

He's had multiple bad run ins with Ganguly throughout his career. Indians have been complaining about him since 2004 because he treated our players like crap, not just because of his decisions. ICC didn't give a crap though. I think now that BCCI is such a powerhouse, they had to step up and do something about it.

I would say that the players had run ins and problems with him not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread