Steve Bucknor announces retirement

Shravi I know you pretty well. That is weak by your standards ;)

Alright, his downhill curve started, from what I've seen in 2004 when Australia toured India. It might have started before I didn't really watch many neutral matches at the time so I can't comment on whether it might have started before that series. However, he wasn't upto the mark in Australia's Tour of India 2004.

Looked through the whole thread and the only people having a go at Bucknor were nearly all Indians, so don't try and beat around the bush with rubbish about he was going down hill.
And with that post you discount all proof that has been provided that he has been going down hill. Even Dare admitted to that. Let me see if I backed up my analysis of Bucknor's history on an external and I'll be happy to show you that he should have retired peacefully along with the other umpires of his generation.

sohum added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

If he has been going downhill since 04', then why did no one complain? Been around PC for a while, never recall a complaint about Bucknor until the Sydney Test which was an entire 4 years after his apparent 'downward' spiral.
Certain sects of Indian fans have been complaining since I can remember. I know that the Indian management has made numerous complaints about him to the ICC, which someone posted a couple of pages back.

I'm interested in seeing aditya123's opinion of this piece of news. :D

sohum added 6 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

I think he's made as many probably less wrong decisions barring Aleem Dar and Taufel in the last few years. If you look around the International circuit he is in my eyes still the 3rd best, regardless of this rubbish of him "going down hill".
How can you even prove a statement like "I think he's made as many probably less wrong decisions...". What if I say, "I think Billy Bowden has been a better umpire than Steve Bucknor in the last few years--he's made as many probably less wrong decisions." It's a baseless comment and I suggest that you back that up with statistics if you want it to be taken seriously.

Him "going down hill" isn't rubbish either. He's 62 years old for God's sake. He's been umpiring for almost 17 years. Obviously he's going to physically lose some of the capabilities required to umpire on the highest level.

Look at England's last match against the West Indies to see how much better he is than some of the umpires around and yet I don't see English nor West Indian fans in arms at how poor the umpiring was Swann had 3 or 4 plumb LBWs turned down in a row, it all comes across as Indian fans always trying to prove everyone is against them as shown by the posts in these forums for the last few months, all be it not all of them.
So I have bolded your agenda in this discussion. You obviously came up with your mind made up about whether Bucknor is a good umpire or not. Fair enough. You've made your point. You are entitled to your opinion just as anyone else is.

How can you even prove a statement like "I think he's made as many probably less wrong decisions...". What if I say, "I think Billy Bowden has been a better umpire than Steve Bucknor in the last few years--he's made as many probably less wrong decisions." It's a baseless comment and I suggest that you back that up with statistics if you want it to be taken seriously.

Him "going down hill" isn't rubbish either. He's 62 years old for God's sake. He's been umpiring for almost 17 years. Obviously he's going to physically lose some of the capabilities required to umpire on the highest level.

For the first point I can say the exact same to you, prove me he's not been international standard for the past 4 years, he might not be as good as he was but still he's probably the 3rd best.

On the point on going downhill age doesn't necessarily mean that he will become worst, Collina for example in Football was still at his best when he retired. Also with age you can gain qualities such as experience.

For the first point I can say the exact same to you, prove me he's not been international standard for the past 4 years, he might not be as good as he was but still he's probably the 3rd best.
But the very people on this thread have been showing that with examples that you are not willing to accept! I give an umpire all the leniency in the world when it comes to LBW decisions since that is truly something where human error is hard to eliminate, since it's all human to start with. Things like not referring stumpings/run outs and being strict with players like he is a teacher shows an onset of senility, in my mind.

On the point on going downhill age doesn't necessarily mean that he will become worst, Collina for example in Football was still at his best when he retired. Also with age you can gain qualities such as experience.
I didn't say he was the worst. There are far worse umpires out there, such as Asoka de Silva. What I am saying is that he had the opportunity to retire while he was on top but chose to extend his career a bit. That was a poor decision on his part, I think. Also, umpiring in cricket is very different from umpiring in football. For example, football umpires need to be athletic and assertive. In contrast, cricket umpires need to have tuned their senses and have an immense power of concentration. Things that fade with age.

But the very people on this thread have been showing that with examples that you are not willing to accept! I give an umpire all the leniency in the world when it comes to LBW decisions since that is truly something where human error is hard to eliminate, since it's all human to start with. Things like not referring stumpings/run outs and being strict with players like he is a teacher shows an onset of senility, in my mind.

People have given examples of poor decisions he made in this thread and yes he was wrong but its hard to say that he has become not good enough for international umpiring, which I think he is good enough.
I didn't say he was the worst. There are far worse umpires out there, such as Asoka de Silva. What I am saying is that he had the opportunity to retire while he was on top but chose to extend his career a bit. That was a poor decision on his part, I think. Also, umpiring in cricket is very different from umpiring in football. For example, football umpires need to be athletic and assertive. In contrast, cricket umpires need to have tuned their senses and have an immense power of concentration. Things that fade with age
Typo by me on the first part about him not being the worst, meant to put worse.

Yes reactions might slowly decline after a certain age but as my point above he's still better than most umpires in the world. 3rd best imo.

Hahahaha.. Ensured his parting gift to Australians by getting Harris for them.

Good riddance to poo.

but he has been consistently handing out bad decisions to everyone for the last 5 years.

Yeh but you see. Its 'okay' when umpires give bad decisions to any team that is not India, its all apart of sport. But when India is involved, its an outrage and people need to be sacked.

As Chopper Reid would say, "Harden the eff up!"

Yeh but you see. Its 'okay' when umpires give bad decisions to any team that is not India, its all apart of sport. But when India is involved, its an outrage and people need to be sacked.

As Chopper Reid would say, "Harden the eff up!"

Please direct me to where an Indian has said that.

Obviously we recognize the fact that he was shocking and might've cost West Indies the game (we'll see). It's human nature to get more upset when it happens to you. I can't not be human to make you or this Chopper Reid happier. Just because we get more upset when this sort of thing happens to us doesn't mean we don't recognize what has happened to the West Indies. I cannot explain what you have not experienced.

Please direct me to where an Indian has said that.

Obviously we recognize the fact that he was shocking and might've cost West Indies the game (we'll see). It's human nature to get more upset when it happens to you. I can't not be human to make you or this Chopper Reid happier. Just because we get more upset when this sort of thing happens to us doesn't mean we don't recognize what has happened to the West Indies. I cannot explain what you have not experienced.

You say that but if you look on the internet there are countless links to videos that say Bucknor vs India, or he's racist you get my drift. I highly doubt that there is going to be such outrage from the West Indies about Harper. The team manager had a quiet word with the match referee but I don't think we'll see effigies being burnt in the West Indies.

Similarly Rudi Koertzen seems to not understand the LBW rule whilst England were bowling against the West Indies in the ARG yet there was hardly mention of it by England fans, bar the odd jokes on these forums.

It just looks and is that some Indian fans take these things to heights that other fans don't.

Right, we're all savages, we burn posters for a living, suffer from clinical depression and have anger management problems.

shravi added 4 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Similarly Rudi Koertzen seems to not understand the LBW rule whilst England were bowling against the West Indies in the ARG yet there was hardly mention of it by England fans, bar the odd jokes on these forums.

It just looks and is that some Indian fans take these things to heights that other fans don't.

Maybe because there are more football fans in England? I don't need to tell you how angry they get... I think you know that. If that's not on par with the "height" you've mentioned, I don't know what is.

Right, we're all savages, we burn posters for a living, suffer from clinical depression and have anger management problems.

Maybe because there are more football fans in England? I don't need to tell you how angry they get... I think you know that. If that's not on par with the "height" you've mentioned, I don't know what is.

Yes because I said you're all savages :rolleyes:

Football hasn't seen anything on that scale since the mid 70. Theres the odd "The referees a banker" but thats where it ends. English Football "hooliganism" is pretty much non existanant nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread