Steve Bucknor announces retirement

Read this: Football hooliganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go down to England. While hooliganism may have decreased, death threats have become more common. Death threats vs effigies? Hmm... Effigies are simply a way of showing that you don't like someone and doesn't reach the "heights" that death threats do.

Last edited:
Football Hooliganism is barely existant nowadays as I said and that also says so. There are a couple of incidences of death threats which I highly doubt were genuine threats
If you look on Google there are countless acts of violence from disgruntled Indian fans and search for cricket death threats on google comes up with hundreds that are aimed at lots of people and from lots of people including Indian fans in the aftermath of Indian being knocked out of the World Cup

The fact that thats a different sport means it has no resemblance to the fact that I said that some Indian fans overreact to Bucknors umpiring. And they do. Burning effergies of someone for a couple of decisions is too far.

I also said it is barely existent if you bothered to read my post. Highly doubt were genuine threats?

Despite hooliganism declining domestically, death threats by English hooligans have become more common in the 2000s. Rio Ferdinand was the target of death threats from Leeds United fans, as was Peter Ridsdale.Swedish referee Anders Frisk quit his position after receiving death threats from Chelsea F.C. fans. Reading players Ibrahima Sonko and Stephen Hunt also received death threats from Chelsea fans in 2006. A steward died after serious clashes between firms from Aston Villa and Queens Park Rangers after a Carling Cup game in September 2004. It has been documented that most English hooligans are in their late teens or early twenties, although it is not uncommon for older hooligans to take part, usually as leaders. They usually come from working class backgrounds, mainly employed in manual or lower clerical occupations, or (to a lesser extent) are working in the grey market or are unemployed.

I'm sure those two would beg to differ.

The closest thing today was over 5 years ago! You can't drag things from the past constantly, yes those in question were wrong and it was a step too far but incedents have obviously decreased and nothing like that is happening anymore. My point still stands that some Indian fans reactions are over the top and are still over the top at the moment.

The closest thing today was over 5 years ago! You can't drag things from the past constantly, yes those in question were wrong and it was a step too far but incedents have obviously decreased and nothing like that is happening anymore. My point still stands that some Indian fans reactions are over the top and are still over the top at the moment.

And my point still stands that they are not the only ones who reach such "heights". 5 years ago is still recent. You say it as if we do this after every bad decision. It was only one match. I pointed out examples where English fans were much worse.

I fail to see where English Cricket fans have been much worse. If anything English cricket fans are some of the best fans.

I fail to see where English Cricket fans have been much worse. If anything English cricket fans are some of the best fans.

I didn't say English cricket fans. It makes sense to bring in football fans because they are far closer in terms of number of fans when compared with Indian cricket fans. I'm fairly certain you won't find such occurrences with hockey or football fans in India. That is why is makes sense to compare Indian cricket fans with English football fans as they are close in terms of their fanbase.

Last edited:
Right, but still on a much smaller scale that hardly anyone knows about it. Anyways, I'm done. I'll just agree to disagree.

There were deaths! How can this be claimed to be on a smaller scale compared to death threats?

It is little known because Football isn't as widely followed in Indian and, seeming as though you were comparing English Cricket to Indian Football in terms of support, if there was to be an incedent whereby someone was killed at County level or even lower level it would be big news in England.

Last edited:
soccer in a cricket thread. nice effort Shravi...

You obviously didn't read the whole thing. He's saying we are the worst fans in the world. I'm saying that it is because of the large fan base that it seems so bad. The reason such things do not come up with English cricket fans is because they have far more football fans. Their amount of football fans can be compared with the amount of Indian cricket fans. Because of the fairly equal fanbase and the occurences among English football fans you can assert that Indian fans are not the worst in the world, it just shows up because of the large population. So yeah...nice effort Dare...

You obviously didn't read the whole thing. He's saying we are the worst fans in the world. I'm saying that it is because of the large fan base that it seems so bad. The reason such things do not come up with English cricket fans is because they have far more football fans. Their amount of football fans can be compared with the amount of Indian cricket fans. Because of the fairly equal fanbase and the occurences among English football fans you can assert that Indian fans are not the worst in the world, it just shows up because of the large population. So yeah...nice effort Dare...

I never said Indian fans were the worst in the world, I said that some Indian fans take things too far.

You seem hell bent on putting words in my mouth, as I said some Indian fans take things too far regardless of how many fans there is burning Effergies is too much, its the same as saying I called all Indian fans savages earlier in the thread which I didn't say

I never said Indian fans were the worst in the world, I said that some Indian fans take things too far.

You seem hell bent on putting words in my mouth, as I said some Indian fans take things too far regardless of how many fans there is burning Effergies is too much, its the same as saying I called all Indian fans savages earlier in the thread which I didn't say

Well, I'm just dishing out what comes my way. Just read Stevo's post. Anyways, I'm not here to add any more points to the discussion, just defending the reason behind what I said so that's that. Take it as you may.

the 2 are not even comparable. there are far worse soccer fans than English fans, in fact English fans are some of the best soccer fans in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread