Stories, scorecards, epic matches: screenshots, scorecards, stories: no vids please.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Short Leg Cricket

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Recently restarted playing the game and decided to take myself to back to a time where life was good so picture this 2020 England vs South Africa in SA 4 match Test series, me as England playing Archer, Broad and Anderson with Bessy boy as spinner with no Curran and Woakes (an accidental omission and surprising considering he is my avatar)

If you don’t want to read it all and I understand - motto of the story is : Send Stuart Broad in at 8 and swing from the hips every ball and you’ll be surprised of the outcome...

Won the toss on a grassy hard pitch (made the mistake of picking a hard surface will get to that soon) and decided bowling first and bowling 140 overs would get me back into the mojo of playing. SA racked up 450 (Bavuma 90 odd, Elgar 88) with de Kock going from 20 off 60 to 70 and out off 86 - had him dropped 3 times in the first 20 runs against the spin and felt like my plans were starting to work until our team decided to put butter on their figures. The acceleration was like watching Pant at the moment for India just bombing it into the stands. GOAT James Anderson and Jofra shared 6 wickets, Bess 1, Broad 1, and of course a pretty good run out plus Dan Lawrence ending with figures of 5 overs 3 maidens 1 wicket for 4 runs brought on in the 130th over - maybe about 100 too late haha.

Coming to my batting and at lunch on day 2 we were 108-3 with byes top scoring on 44 and Sibley out for 28 off 110. Rabada and Nortje decided bumpers were the plan and watching de Kock fail to jump, move or attempt to catch it was surprisingly funny to begin with and then annoying. To rectify this, I had a quick read of rumple’s world sliders and turned pitch bounce and friction down and found the extras substantially decreased.

Yet this isn’t the main bit of the story - here it is! 130-6 in comes Stuart Broad promoted to give it a whack and after making it to 16 off 4 he is currently 48 not out from 32 with Ben Stokes dumbfounded at the other end 35 off 90. The funny bit about Broad’s batting is the awful bowling from Nortje mainly who went for 40 off 3 overs - good spell fella!! Full tosses and then bouncers with only fine leg making it easier to despoit between mid wicket and fine leg. Very odd tactics especially after the exceptional tactics I have witnessed before broad has come in. 270 runs behind means that the focus is making Broad go big and hopefully I can share his 300 run stand with Stokes in the next post if I can remain patient and then just start whacking it.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
@Dutch @blockerdave @Dale88

question for you boys... set my Indian pitch to mimic the first test.

LOVED batting on it found a real sweet spot for batting where I had to work and grind but not stupidly hard where international batsmen were nicking off left and right.

290 with spinner doing damage.
Issue is India were dispatched for 109 with Ali and Leech taking 5 each.
This was Apparant in testing but do the AI struggle horrifically against spin all the time?
If so makes these pitches pointless I guess!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

LOVED batting on it found a real sweet spot for batting where I had to work and grind but not stupidly hard where international batsmen were nicking off left and right.

This was Apparant in testing but do the AI struggle horrifically against spin all the time?

Spin is overpowered on all pitches, the balance is all off.

In my 90s play through I’ve got at as far as the first Ashes test of 1993, I’ve played about 28 tests to get there.

Most of my spinners average 15-18. Ian Salisbury is the worst main spinner, and he still averages under 25.

Most of my seamers average over 30.

The main things I’ve been able to do to get it a bit better is:
  • don’t have a short leg. you can have other close fielders (silly point, silly mid-off/on) and they will get occasional catches but if you have a short leg it’s a wicket every couple of overs on average.
  • make sure you’re giving it the batsman a single somewhere
  • increase spin bounce
this generally helps a little.

D

Dutch

What are you settings for the sweet spot?

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Spin is overpowered on all pitches, the balance is all off.

In my 90s play through I’ve got at as far as the first Ashes test of 1993, I’ve played about 28 tests to get there.

Most of my spinners average 15-18. Ian Salisbury is the worst main spinner, and he still averages under 25.

Most of my seamers average over 30.

The main things I’ve been able to do to get it a bit better is:
  • don’t have a short leg. you can have other close fielders (silly point, silly mid-off/on) and they will get occasional catches but if you have a short leg it’s a wicket every couple of overs on average.
  • make sure you’re giving it the batsman a single somewhere
  • increase spin bounce
this generally helps a little.

i also found not using the flighted delivery as well!
Post automatically merged:

What are you settings for the sweet spot?

ill grab it for you next time I’m on.. I was getting the hump with international batsmen nicking off all the time to “ok” footwork. Was becoming irritating. Now it’s a nice balance where if I do it too often one will have my name on it.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
It’s irritating that the pitch doesn’t reflect day 5 as well. The only way Iv created that day 5 feel is by upping the wicket chance for the AI when they bat last.. but that’s artificially changing the game ain’t it and not what you want to be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread