Stories, scorecards, epic matches: screenshots, scorecards, stories: no vids please.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Spent some hours testing..
The fact that no one truly knows what sliders do or what the best set up is the one thing I don’t like about this game. You never know what if your playing the game at its “best” or not.

Anyway apologies if this is common knowledge but I have been trying to create that ideal pitch that would simulate a test match we are seeing currently.

Ball Friction - This seems to affect play and misses/LBW’s/Bowleds.

Pitch Friction - Higher it is the thicker the edges for sure. I got 4 outfield catches @blockerdave sweep shots mind you.

Spin Flight is the AI killer. Lower it and they become FAR less dangerous. Hence when I wacked it up Day 5 India rolled to 120 all out.

There’s so so many variations. But if you wanted to create an absolute road you would go high ball and pitch friction.

If you want a minefield you go the opposite. Which seems backwards to me.

Anyway thought I’d share. I no it’s been spoken of before. But you can eliminate the strong AI chase ability!
@Dutch @blockerdave @Dale88 @Short Leg Cricket

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Spent some hours testing..
The fact that no one truly knows what sliders do or what the best set up is the one thing I don’t like about this game. You never know what if your playing the game at its “best” or not.

Anyway apologies if this is common knowledge but I have been trying to create that ideal pitch that would simulate a test match we are seeing currently.

Ball Friction - This seems to affect play and misses/LBW’s/Bowleds.

Pitch Friction - Higher it is the thicker the edges for sure. I got 4 outfield catches @blockerdave sweep shots mind you.

Spin Flight is the AI killer. Lower it and they become FAR less dangerous. Hence when I wacked it up Day 5 India rolled to 120 all out.

There’s so so many variations. But if you wanted to create an absolute road you would go high ball and pitch friction.

If you want a minefield you go the opposite. Which seems backwards to me.

Anyway thought I’d share. I no it’s been spoken of before. But you can eliminate the strong AI chase ability!
@Dutch @blockerdave @Dale88 @Short Leg Cricket

so, i play with the general settings in this post and i would say that my only gripes are the overpowered spin and that pitches could deteriorate more. (i think they deteriorate a bit, there is a genuine difference between e.g. a grassy and dusty pitch; and if you choose a "grassy/dry" there is an appreciable difference between the pitch at the beginning with grass and the pitch once it dries out... what we need is it going further and cracking. i've noticed a different speed in it drying out too based on the weather.)

Aside from the sub-continental series I had where neither me or the AI could handle spin whatsoever on the dusty or grassy/dusty slow pitches, I've had pretty good and varied play over the "England 90s" playthrough.

The balance of dismissals could be better too.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
so, i play with the general settings in this post and i would say that my only gripes are the overpowered spin and that pitches could deteriorate more. (i think they deteriorate a bit, there is a genuine difference between e.g. a grassy and dusty pitch; and if you choose a "grassy/dry" there is an appreciable difference between the pitch at the beginning with grass and the pitch once it dries out... what we need is it going further and cracking. i've noticed a different speed in it drying out too based on the weather.)

Aside from the sub-continental series I had where neither me or the AI could handle spin whatsoever on the dusty or grassy/dusty slow pitches, I've had pretty good and varied play over the "England 90s" playthrough.

The balance of dismissals could be better too.

Wow your flight is high! Looks good I must admit but no wonder the AI struggle ... they are hopeless on dusty with flight anywhere near 40-50.

Have you played about with pitch friction at all? The difference in edges was very suprising!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Wow your flight is high! Looks good I must admit but no wonder the AI struggle ... they are hopeless on dusty with flight anywhere near 40-50.

Have you played about with pitch friction at all? The difference in edges was very suprising!
I put the flight up quite recently, because it's the only way I can get the AI to use their feet and come down the track. even now they only do so once well set. I've found that they cope better with flight than drift too, tbh. Even with flight lower they were still pretty rubbish against spin i found.

Since about the last 2 or 3 series I've played I've set all AI batsmen to have the fast feet and at least one of bronze or silver spin perks. can't say they've made much difference.

No, I don't think i've done much fiddling about with pitch friction - might give it a go.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I put the flight up quite recently, because it's the only way I can get the AI to use their feet and come down the track. even now they only do so once well set. I've found that they cope better with flight than drift too, tbh. Even with flight lower they were still pretty rubbish against spin i found.

Since about the last 2 or 3 series I've played I've set all AI batsmen to have the fast feet and at least one of bronze or silver spin perks. can't say they've made much difference.

No, I don't think i've done much fiddling about with pitch friction - might give it a go.

Yeah I have no idea why put increasing friction creates thicker edges which reduces the constant edges to keeper off the spinners!

Crassus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
So I won the Sri Lanka series 2-0 although the Dambulla test was mighty close, England won by 12 runs. I didn't make too many runs out in Sri Lanka (highest score of 33) but took a few wickets as you'd expect being a leggie.

Then I went out to India for the IPL and opened for RCB, with Colin De Grandhomme :D. Unfortunately we just missed out on the finals. I made a few decent knocks, even hit a century in one game but generally think I'm too gung ho even for T20 cricket. Literally trying to run down the pitch 3/4 times an over.

Just won the home series against West Indies 3-0 although it was closer than that suggests. One of the tests we only won by 30 runs and we really should've lost the second test at The Oval with the Windies chasing down 334 and being 290/5 before folding like a deck of cards. I hit 148 in the final test at Old Trafford and I'm now batting at 3 behind Pope and Hales!

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Spin is overpowered on all pitches, the balance is all off.

In my 90s play through I’ve got at as far as the first Ashes test of 1993, I’ve played about 28 tests to get there.

Most of my spinners average 15-18. Ian Salisbury is the worst main spinner, and he still averages under 25.

Most of my seamers average over 30.

The main things I’ve been able to do to get it a bit better is:
  • don’t have a short leg. you can have other close fielders (silly point, silly mid-off/on) and they will get occasional catches but if you have a short leg it’s a wicket every couple of overs on average.
  • make sure you’re giving it the batsman a single somewhere
  • increase spin bounce
this generally helps a little.
No short leg is definitely the one in tests, I wouldn’t mind if they were genuine bat pads, but the way the ball leaps up off the boot is just too painful to see. Certainly makes it more difficult and possibly explains why in my last two tests the AI chased down over 300 in the 4th innings, but makes the wickets so much more rewarding when you do get them.

Slug1793

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
And just like that I'm back in the series. A rare whiff with the bat by the Windies, who've been pretty solid for the previous two tests. Must admit it does help having an actual spinner in the side. Richard Illingworth sticking in a MOTM performance on debut.
View attachment 243217
Comprehensive! Can you remember what type of wicket was being used? 147 plays 500 suggests it was a road and that the West Indies just had a nightmare?

Users who are viewing this thread