Suggestions / Ideas / Wishlist

County teams will be included as an add on patch after or on the game's release.

Brett_Lee said:
Can you please answer this LM?

Id like to include these, but will have to see how well it comes out...may be too hard to implement, but ill give it a try.

Great, I'd love to see it in there as it just ads that realistic touch to the game!

Hope you can do it!

Brett_Lee

legend_master said:
Id like to include these, but will have to see how well it comes out...may be too hard to implement, but ill give it a try.

Definately would be hard, and they don't usually occur that often tho.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on my first post. It's nice to see a community developing like this for a game that has as much potential as this does.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what is everyone's feelings on an appeal button? Besides the blindingly obvious wickets, i.e. bowled out or caught, maybe having to appeal for fine edges and catches that may/may not have dropped short.

Also, I think the idea of missing high, low left and right is a great idea! I've got a throwing meter gui in mind, where you have a power up bar for how hard the fielder will throw, and then once the strength of the throw has been chosen, then an XY axis pops up, with a marker moving haphazardly around the center depending on how hard you've chosen to throw it. Then the skill comes in trying to stop it as close to the middle (0;0) of the XY graph as possible.

I apologize if that made no sense, but in my mind, it looks great. ;)

The great thing about increasing the realism of the throws and fielding in general, is that it increases the interest in fielding. Wouldn't it be great if you felt compelled to create a player with excellent fielding ability, so that when you choose attempt to throw down the stumps with a hard throw, the marker moving around the XY axis wouldn't be impossible to stop near the middle, or what a laugh it would be to accidentally get it right with an average fielder on the boundary.

It would really make the batsman think about the fielder he's playing it to. Whether he's left- or right-handed, if he can throw the ball far or whether he's quick to chase the ball down.

Also, LM, have you considered having a menu item where you can examine the condition of the ball in-game? You could probably have +-15 different pictures of balls in different conditions, and the condition would change according to the weather and age of the ball, which would affect the movement and tendency to spin.

Also, having the simple ability to take or refuse the new ball, depending on whether you want your pace attack back in or whether your spinners are doing ok, would be a nice addition.

I apologize if I've repeated anything anyone has posted elsewhere in these forums, but I'm merely writing down what I think would add value to the game.

Have a great day, gents.

stonedhamster said:
what is everyone's feelings on an appeal button? Besides the blindingly obvious wickets, i.e. bowled out or caught, maybe having to appeal for fine edges and catches that may/may not have dropped short.

yeah spot on m8, i mentioned something like this to LM a while ago, saying that wethear theres a manual appeal or not - the fielding side should appeal sometimes even when it may not be out on thin snicks and bat pads and the likes of, and what with umpire stats being involved its then up to the umpire - though if a bad one is given its got to be few and far between as wrong desicions all the time would ruin the game.

stonedhamster said:
Also, LM, have you considered having a menu item where you can examine the condition of the ball in-game? You could probably have +-15 different pictures of balls in different conditions, and the condition would change according to the weather and age of the ball, which would affect the movement and tendency to spin.

mate - that is a very innovative idea once again - something that should be simple but adds something very real to the game - as i like to say 'simplicity is genius'. ;) Ball condition is one of the biggest factors in bowling as your bowlers depend on it (weather/pitch conditions aside)

stonedhamster said:
Also, having the simple ability to take or refuse the new ball, depending on whether you want your pace attack back in or whether your spinners are doing ok, would be a nice addition.

Once again this is something that is a MUST for me - its not a snazzy add on or a eye candy feature, its part of test cricket and influences test matches all the time.

Great suggestions coming in here - LM will have a lot of excellent ideas when hes finished the guts of the project and moves on to fitting in features and gameplay.....................one thing i find funny though, EAsports would not even dream of some of the ideas us real cricket fans want to implement - though most are simple and compulsory for a good cricket sim , they must have no idea about cricket :noway

No, they have an idea about cricket, but only care about sales, things like ball detioration do not create sales, innovative (yet useless) new control systems create sales.

but manee, they miss out features that are essential to cricket, not just innovative and novelty ideas. i mean how can you play a test match without ball and pitch deteriation - that is the whole point of test cricket.

they know of cricket yes, but cricket is not a game that you can not just watch once or twice or casually and say ok 'bat V ball' how hard can it be? to make a good cricket sim you need to know it inside out, and im afraid EA havent got a sniff.

I think you guys both have valid points. Even if EA had to know about all these ideas, it's not - in their eyes - worthwhile putting it in, for the exact reason Manee said. I think they try their best to shove together a workable game and churn it out, because, even though I think EA Cricket is actually made in Australia (I stand corrected), EA is still an American company.

I've played each and every release of Cricket that EA have brought out until I got frustrated, and then wished that the US would show as much love of cricket as they do for the NFL and NBA. We would then have the most amazing cricket games ever. But then again, if that was the case, some of these guys putting this project together wouldn't have had to do this, and we wouldn't be able to sit here and discuss what we feel is going to constitute a great cricket game. :)

To add something to the batting. With respect to the batsman's confidence and energy levels, it would be interesting to see how things like tea, lunch and drinks breaks, as well as current form will affect these levels to a lesser and greater degree. And how these two different levels are just that... different. While a batsman may have batted the whole morning session in a test, just before the lunch interval, his energy levels might be beginning to drop, which will result in more sluggish shots (perhaps forcing the player to have to start playing earlier and the batsman running slower between wickets?). Then lunch is taken, and when he comes back out, his energy levels would have improved, but his confidence/concentration levels would have dropped.

I think this is very true to real cricket, as I always find a lot of the wickets to be around those breaks in play.

I mentioned current form. When playing a series, I think it would be great if the performance of a batsman or bowler in previous games would influence the current game. But I'm sure this has been mentioned, and LM would probably have thought of it anyway. This continuing form could be further extended into injuries that batsmen and bowlers may pick up. It would be nice to have various degrees of injuries, ranging from a slight niggle in a bowler, that may just minorly influence their bowling speed or accuracy, to a full fledged elbow fracture due to being hit by Brett Lee, thus ending the series for the poor one-elbowed batsman.

Perhaps to add more realism to the track, certain countries and grounds may have dew on the field earlier in the morning (like SA Wanderers), meaning shots hit along the ground would slow down a lot quicker. This could also lead to a further aspect of ball deterioration due to the ball getting wet, which could gradually improve as play continued and the pitch dried up.

Yeah EA do just get a game thats ok as fast as possible and push it out on the shelves. Manee is correct saying that they try and bring in revolutionary ideas rather than small touches to aid sales, but i reckon Codemasters know what the consumers who is generaly a cricketer/fan want, even blic05 was better than EA07, dont get me wrong they both (ea and codies) produce rubbish cricket games (considering budget) compared to what we have building here with TAOC, but i do think codemasters take advice on board and try and give us what we want, but EA is a huge commercial giant that $$$$ is all that matters, they gained the reputation they have years ago and a few whinning cricket fans wont change that.

But to get back on topic i think once again stonedhamster has given great ideas, i think nerves around the break are common, and the dew factor in some countries would really add to the feel.

Also i think really thin snicks should be in there, will these be in LM? really thin ones to the keeper with that little clicky noise, if so - is there any chance of a vid showing it when you finished getting all the players on the field before you move on to AI and rules

keep up the good work :cheers

Last edited:
WHile i wont release the list of all stats yet, i can tell you that there are stats per player for FORM, STAMINA, INJURIES, FOCUS/CONCENTRATION, CONFIDENCE...players will be affected by approaching 'milestones' - this includes breaks along with batting milestones like 50, 100 etc

Stadia also have stats, including default values such as outfield speed, pitch type etc. but these will then further be affected by weather conditions etc

yes there will be little snicks as you mentioned...i will show it in the vid once i have it completely implemented

cheers,

LM

great news on the stats, cricket is a sport that stats are very important in, and with the form and concentration what more can we ask for - its going to add a new dimension to the cricket gaming expierience.

great news on the snicks also this is something that happens a lot with the new ball and will make it very realisitc.

one thing i wanted to ask you LM was about sounds, i have just watched one particular video from the website www.theartofcricket.net - its the one that says july06 teaser. Anyway i was blown away by it because of the sounds mostly - and there are some awesome animations on some shots - especially like the pull, sweep and on drive. But back to the the sound affects - which are taken from a a sky broadcast right? as the comentators are david lloyd, nasser and david gower, the sounds are so lifelike especially the bowled........well actually forget the especially - they all sound completely real (obviously they are from a real cricket game but....still its unbelevable)

anyhow i will stop beating about the bush now - i have a question LM - will these sounds make it in to the game as sound affects? - like the leather on willow, and the ball on stumps and crowd? obviously if we are having our own commentators the commentary wont make it but im sure that would be copyright anyway so we wouldnt be allowed, but im sure the sounds would fall under fair use as matt said before, and maybe you could get the crowd noises too and we would have the greatest cricket expierience ever!

ps. if anyone hasnt watched that video of july 06 - seriously .watch it and you will be blown away by how realistic the atmosphere is.

great work LM :cheers

Users who are viewing this thread