AMA Sure, what the hell.. Ask me (VC the slogger)

D

Dutch

I have never tried doing the regular plank hold for more than 2 mins at a stretch, and that with a few 25 kg plates stacked on top of me. It's not really one of my go to exercises anymore, for reasons you can find on this video here by Jeff Cavaliere. I personally prefer spider-man planks, mountain climbers, hanging exercises and various animal movement exercises to build core stability. The last one might look funny, but that's until you actually try it - simply BRUTAL, and a must do for anyone who wants to try their hand at any form of martial arts. Regular planks are nowhere near as effective compared to those mentioned.
Hey some great ideas there!

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Any ones else incomplete league you want to revisit?

I'm having a hard enough time completing some of my own leagues these days. :p

But in the odd event that I ever found myself in the mood however unlikely, it would probably be either @Aislabie's abandoned World Test Championship or @SPYder's Prudential World Cup - the latter of which was one of my all-time favorite leagues on PC. But I would preferably begin afresh rather than continue where they left off, hypothetically speaking (not that I actually will).

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I'm having a hard enough time completing some of my own leagues these days. :p

But in the odd event that I ever found myself in the mood however unlikely, it would probably be either @Aislabie's abandoned World Test Championship or @SPYder's Prudential World Cup - the latter of which was one of my all-time favorite leagues on PC. But I would preferably begin afresh rather than continue where they left off, hypothetically speaking (not that I actually will).
What will be the choices if you are a team manager?

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
Favourite bodyweight exercise and why?

I don't think there is any replacement for push-ups and pull-ups. These two exercises were the only thing that kept me in shape for a good three months or so during lockdown before some relief finally arrived in the form of proper barbells and stuff. But even after that, I do them every single day regardless of what I'm training on a particular day.

How to increase body strength specifically arm strength?

I can't speak for others, but the only thing that worked for me was lifting weights more than anything else, and doing lots of compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, rows), bodyweight exercises (push-up variations, pull-ups) and explosive stuff (burpees, clap pushups, clean/squat presses with weights etc). You have to be sure to train every group i.e chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms at least once every week to gain proper strength, and your core/abs pretty much every day that you train. I cannot stress how important the last part is - not for getting a 6-pack or anything, but giving your body better balance overall which enables you to actually lift heavier thereby making you stronger. This is something they never taught me in my gym, but which I learned by watching several videos from channels such as Athlean X, V Shred etc on Youtube.

I would say make the first one i.e Athlean X your primary go-to channel when it comes to fitness; I don't know where I'd be if not for Jeff Cavaliere's home workout videos. As for something arms specific, check this one (a bit advanced) and this one. For an overall training plan for beginners, I would suggest this one. And whatever you do, you need to ensure progressive overload over time i.e increase weight (by about 5 lbs/2.5 kg) or reps every week/2 weeks. It's a little difficult in the present climate with gyms shut, but there are plenty of alternatives to several of those exercises which you are unable to do at home if you don't have proper weights. One has to just search it on Youtube and try 'em out. I'm far from a gym expert myself, but that's pretty much how I roll now.

Also, don't try out any dumbass stunts such as lifting loaded gas cylinders and stuff - that's something I only did after around 3-4 years or so of proper weight training to the point where I could squat, deadlift, bench press all in excess of 100 kgs without much difficulty, and shoulder press around 75 kg. Doing so would only get you badly injured if you're just starting out and set you back even further in terms of your fitness journey. Consistency and being on the park is the most important thing of all!

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Worst part about the lockdown for you?

Most memorable Cricket match?

What sports do you follow other than Cricket?

Worst and best score/grade in an exam/class test?

If you are forced to move to another country, which one would it be and why?

What would your ideal breakfast look like?

Favourite Movie?

@VC the slogger

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Which song motivates you the most when you hear it?

Who is your favourite music artist? Why him/her?

What would be the first change you would make in the cricket world, if you became BCCI ICC head?

Favourite sport to play after Cricket?

Action / Horror / Rom-Com?

Which languages do you know other than English?

Users who are viewing this thread