Surely codemasters cannot release this game in australia?

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
There must be a law that prevents this. They have known for several months that there is a major fault with the game so if it hasn't been rectified and released as such then surely that is fraudulent. If I come across anyone who is about to purchase it I will certainly warn them.
I thought certain members of this forum were in contact with people from Trickster( how apt!) and Codemasters. So what's happened? Have all ties been severed now??

Spot on.

Knowingly selling a faulty product is, as far as I recall, a crime.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's ridiculous that a football manager esque game can't be made right for cricket.

It's the same as MLB the Show physics not being able to transfer to a Cricket game by Codies or EA. WHY?

Possibly both sets of developers have poor design, production and programming skills....

The markets are completely different. FM since the 08 version has been breaking the million sales mark and leads across many different countries in their individual markets (friend is Head of Marketing for Sega - Core games). The game is developed by 30-40 full time staff with hundreds more supporting it on a part-time level. I'm not going to indulge our own sales figures, but needless to say, comparing the size of the operation alone, shows a huge difference between the football management market and cricket management, not only is the demand for cricket management a tiny proportion of the biggest sport in the world, compared to one played at a decent level in about 10 countries.

Heck, I doubt even the best selling cricket sims have ever gotten a third of what FM currently sells, let alone comparing it to football sims.

I will also add, I believe Cricket to be an incredibly complex sport, to get it right in either a sim or management context is not easy, FM is good, but it still has some big flaws, but it has the team and backing of Sega to allow it to progress at a quicker rate.

Financially and market-wise, you just cannot compare them. I don't think anyone is making masses of money out of the genre as there isn't much to be made in it. If you aimed high you could well see what happened/happening with Square Enix and Eidos. Realistic demands are important, I do think that the games have been sub-standard, I can only speak for us at ICC but we're making some big steps forward, developing on new platforms and with a bit more freedom than when the game was owned by Empire and I think we have a good future for making better versions as long as we have realistic targets for short and long term, we'll also admit we've made some errors.

I'm sure Oli will agree with me (if he reads this of course) that cricket management and football management games cannot be compared, likewise the sims of the two different genres.

P

pcfan123

Cricket is a statistical game where even small variations contribute greatly to the outcome. It is nearly impossible to replicate those subtle variations in a video based game.

I disagree dutch,

baseball shares the physics, nuances and statistical depth of cricket and there are many realistic baseball games.

It ultimately boils down to the developers commitment and investment in the sport. They obviously do not give a ████ about cricket and rightfully so, the only people who buy the games are English and Aussie gamers and that market is not big enough.

Just look at the post-release response to F1 by Codies, they are making a conscious effort to fix the game, why? because it sells in large quantities.

Cricket games are doomed for 2 reasons, the market is not big enough and where the market is big enough the people would rather pirate.

It's a lost cause, I am not buying anymore cricket games for at least 2-3 years. Big Ant is going to be another shithouse, considering they havent even released the NAME of the bloody game and we all know how reliable Codemasters are.

shamey

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
i agree with Mark on this:clap

themuel1

International Coach
The markets are completely different. FM since the 08 version has been breaking the million sales mark and leads across many different countries in their individual markets (friend is Head of Marketing for Sega - Core games). The game is developed by 30-40 full time staff with hundreds more supporting it on a part-time level. I'm not going to indulge our own sales figures, but needless to say, comparing the size of the operation alone, shows a huge difference between the football management market and cricket management, not only is the demand for cricket management a tiny proportion of the biggest sport in the world, compared to one played at a decent level in about 10 countries.

Heck, I doubt even the best selling cricket sims have ever gotten a third of what FM currently sells, let alone comparing it to football sims.

I will also add, I believe Cricket to be an incredibly complex sport, to get it right in either a sim or management context is not easy, FM is good, but it still has some big flaws, but it has the team and backing of Sega to allow it to progress at a quicker rate.

Financially and market-wise, you just cannot compare them. I don't think anyone is making masses of money out of the genre as there isn't much to be made in it. If you aimed high you could well see what happened/happening with Square Enix and Eidos. Realistic demands are important, I do think that the games have been sub-standard, I can only speak for us at ICC but we're making some big steps forward, developing on new platforms and with a bit more freedom than when the game was owned by Empire and I think we have a good future for making better versions as long as we have realistic targets for short and long term, we'll also admit we've made some errors.

I'm sure Oli will agree with me (if he reads this of course) that cricket management and football management games cannot be compared, likewise the sims of the two different genres.

Agreed about the budget thingy. But it is possible to make a fantastic game - evidence of which is MLB 10. The stats, physics etc are the same.

TBH, I haven't played a cricket game since 2005. They've all been slated. Not wasting the money. Especially seeing as when out, the developers won't patch.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Extremely low.

You can see why they aren't really bothered about getting the game patched and the like. I'd be very surprised if they made a profit on this game.

P

pcfan123

A more accurate gauge for the popularity of baseball games would be MLB 09 the Show and on XBOX,

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I know this is going to be a big no but has anyone got the aus ic2010 and seen if its the same as the english one. I hope codemasters put something in there for the aus fans that wanted 4 months. Still its a better cover but i will just keep broad for now, if its a no.:spy

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've contacted the official Australian distributor for any comment on that, the lack of reply seems to suggest that is indeed the case.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I feared that. Its like i said before, ic2010 is a good cricket game and with a little work we could have a great game. Also codemasters, why have you not got all the real teams and names yet. ea sports dont care about cricket anymore so for god sake buy the rights now. Then a ic2012 with the full teams and a new engine could be around the corner. Still im just dreaming at the moment. :spy

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
buy the rights now.

They can't just buy the rights though. EA have bought the rights for a specific amount of time and Codemasters are powerless to do anything until then and I doubt that Codemasters would want to buy the rights as they don't seem particularly bothered in putting money into the game as it is.

Lee1981

International Coach
The interest in cricket in england and maybe even worldwide in my opinion has gone down hill the past 12 months or so, it had its high in 2005 where it attracted new followers but now it seems to me to be going the other way.

So i cant see codies or anyone else really pushing the boat out to make the game we want and deserve with the lack of profit out there for them.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Although for monetary reasons it was a no brainer for the ECB to take cricket to Sky I really do think it has had a massive effect on the popularity of the sport.

In 2005 it was so accessible for everyone now even cricket followers often miss out on watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread