Symonds does not want's to tour Pakistan?

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Reminds me of a girl (17) who's a friend of mine who won't go cycling on a public bike path because her mother has told her that she'll get beaten up by chavs.

I won't go to cycling because I might see Chavs, period.

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
Well the players are no opposition politicians which are most likely going to be arrested and beaten up by the police...
They are even more 'safe' then the population, and 99% of the population are living their life as normal :)

usy

Chairman of Selectors
You're saying that Pakistan is just as safe as Britain? I can't answer why the Australians stayed here, only they can. The situations are wholly different though. The 7/7 attacks were on civilians because of our involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan, the attacks on Benazir Bhutto's return, not only killed 4 times as many people but had wholly different reasons. There is a difference between competant security and tight security, I also think the language and culture barrier doesn't help matters either. The situation in Pakistan at this moment, politically, isn't much different from Zimbabwe, is it? Manipulation and arrest of opposition members and leaders?

The idea of 'banning' tours is to increase the pressure on the dictator, of course they ICC won't do it, look at their handling of the Zimbabwe situation.

My biggest issue is the political situation, rather than the safety issue (Which I think Symonds alludes to when reading that article), Lawson's comments are interesting too. It's a long time before the tour, and I believe the "elections" are before the tour starts.

And it's wrong to compare zimbabwe with Pakistan, atleast.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Aussies can come to India as BCCI will always want more money and this series generate maximum cash.

jordox

International Cricketer
These Aussies are most sissy cricketers ever. SA was in Pakistan recently when Bhutto returned and nothing happened to them.

Oh shutup. Don't you dare call people you have no idea about sissies. You don't know anything about these peoples morales and background.

God, If these people don't want to risk their lives in a country filled with terrorism and unsafe behavior let them be. I bet you Roy could smash the living daylight out of you. Some sissy isn't he?

Last edited:

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
These Aussies are most sissy cricketers ever. SA was in Pakistan recently when Bhutto returned and nothing happened to them.
I have just 4 things to say to you:

First of all, as it's been said, the national alert was not in place back then. Things are worsening.

Second of all, one Australian cricketer *hinted* that he might not want to tour, so the whole country are sissies?

And third of all, if there are people like you with such a hate for our country on online forums, imagine what terrorists and your army are thinking. Imagine what extremists could be thinking. Criminals. In such a time of political unrest, it is not unreasonable at all to not want to tour.

The fourth point would not be appropriate for me to say on planetcricket.

Then send second string Australian side.
What every aussie say is that there second string side will also be world beater. Also this is why Jhon Buchannan made that silly comment about poaching.
Put your money where your mouth is then?
Great idea, we should definitely risk our reserves' lives instead of our best players. That will resolve the situation perfectly :rolleyes:

And what on earth game of cricket has something to do with country's Political instability , I?m sure their tight up the security if they tour. Anyways, we shouldn?t be arguing that if the situation in Pakistan is bad or not, lack of interest other teams have on playing Pakistan can be questioned.
No one has been to Pakistan since this emergency state (I believe) came into action, so there is no point comparing cases.

What does cricket have to do with politics? Ask the ICC. What does it have to do with safety? That's like saying why wouldn't you want to go on holiday to Afghanistan, or even for business. If it isn't safe, you have the right to say no.

You're saying that Pakistan is just as safe as Britain? I can't answer why the Australians stayed here, only they can. The situations are wholly different though. The 7/7 attacks were on civilians because of our involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan, the attacks on Benazir Bhutto's return, not only killed 4 times as many people but had wholly different reasons. There is a difference between competant security and tight security, I also think the language and culture barrier doesn't help matters either. The situation in Pakistan at this moment, politically, isn't much different from Zimbabwe, is it? Manipulation and arrest of opposition members and leaders?

The idea of 'banning' tours is to increase the pressure on the dictator, of course they ICC won't do it, look at their handling of the Zimbabwe situation.

My biggest issue is the political situation, rather than the safety issue (Which I think Symonds alludes to when reading that article), Lawson's comments are interesting too. It's a long time before the tour, and I believe the "elections" are before the tour starts.
I would say that the difference is that England was victim to an organized terrorist attack. England has no such political unrest, it was attacked because of its involvement in such events that Australia have participated in themselves. The two countries may be susceptible to the same sort of threats as well.

There is no serious ongoing threat of bodily harm that is present in Pakistan, there is no arresting of opposition leaders, no corrupt dictator with the army behind him. England just fell to an isolated attack that was not likely to be repeated in such a short time anyway.

I would be freaked out a little, but it wouldn't mean that I'd want to leave. The fact that the tour was already underway is also different, because they were probably less keen to end a tour. Whilst here, they have the opportunity to decide pre-tour.

Sureshot

Executive member
And it's wrong to compare zimbabwe with Pakistan, atleast.

I think the situation is closer than some people think or want to think. Both oppress political opposition, when that happens a country ceases to exist in my eyes.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Olrite, we're not gonne say over and over that the media is making it big, every thing is running normally .. school, offices, etc.. and it's just the High court and stuff, mostly in the capital city of Islamabad where no matches were/are to be held..

I'm not sure same happins in Zimbabwe..

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Dean has summed it up perfectly. Some of you guys are being just plain stupid. Its unsafe and its stupid to say otherwise.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Dean has summed it up perfectly. Some of you guys are being just plain stupid. Its unsafe and its stupid to say otherwise.
I'd like to differ.

I understand Symond's "worries".

However, I see many British people, europeans, chinese, all of them, walking on the street in the city centres of Islamabad.

And I don't see any big armed bodyguards with them.

Yes, I understand the concerns, however if you're not a lawyer, or have anything to do with the government, you're pretty much safe.

Pakistan is not as safe as Australia, or England. But comparing it with Zimbabwe is way off the mark at this stage. I had an interesting conversation with a British friend of mine, and he tells me his family keeps asking him to come back, but he tells them that its completely fine here, as long as you're not Musharraf or a government official.

Australian A teams, and Australia U-19 teams have toured Pakistan over the past year, no problem. Yes, the situation is different. However, in my opinion, there is no reason for the tour not to happen.

The worst thing IMO that can happen to the Australians is diarrhea. ;)

But, I would like to mention, the Australians' tour is in February, about 3 months from now.

Prehaps the situation will change by then, and this conversation will be fruitless.

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I'd like to differ.

I understand Symond's "worries".

However, I see many British people, europeans, chinese, all of them, walking on the street in the city centres of Islamabad.

And I don't see any big armed bodyguards with them.

Yes, I understand the concerns, however if you're not a lawyer, or have anything to do with the government, you're pretty much safe.

Pakistan is not as safe as Australia, or England. But comparing it with Zimbabwe is way off the mark at this stage. I had an interesting conversation with a British friend of mine, and he tells me his family keeps asking him to come back, but he tells them that its completely fine here, as long as you're not Musharraf or a government official.

Australian A teams, and Australia U-19 teams have toured Pakistan over the past year, no problem. Yes, the situation is different. However, in my opinion, there is no reason for the tour not to happen.

The worst thing IMO that can happen to the Australians is diarrhea. ;)

I see what your saying but Australian cricket team are famous like all other cricket teams and some stupid idiots sometimes try and start a "protest" sort of thing by targeting these sorts of people. Im not saying that is definetly gonna happen but its a chance.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
I see what your saying but Australian cricket team are famous like all other cricket teams and some stupid idiots sometimes try and start a "protest" sort of thing by targeting these sorts of people. Im not saying that is definetly gonna happen but its a chance.
I'll be honest, I've never heard of this type of a protest in my life :p

England team also had the same worries if I remember, because there was a bomb blast, but everything went smooth.

On the England v Pakistan DVD, theres a tribute to Pakistan by the Barmy Army.

Mostly, they talk about how suprised they are by Pakistan, and its people.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I'll be honest, I've never heard of this type of a protest in my life :p

England team also had the same worries if I remember, because there was a bomb blast, but everything went smooth.

On the England v Pakistan DVD, theres a tribute to Pakistan by the Barmy Army.

Mostly, they talk about how suprised they are by Pakistan, and its people.

People will target famous people sometimes.

Yes but Pakistan is in more drama now then they were when England toured.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
People will target famous people sometimes.

Yes but Pakistan is in more drama now then they were when England toured.
Ah, ok.

And yes, I agree there is "more drama".

I say let's wait till we get closer to the tour (around January) and resume this discussion. I'll be honest, Symonds should have kept his views to himself, because this tour is a long way away. Different story though, if he said this with 3 weeks to the series (or something of the sort).

usy

Chairman of Selectors
After that comment, Symonds should be the most scared person if they toured Pakistan, haha..

Users who are viewing this thread