TAOC Discussion

Tomorrow it will be 2 years and 2 months since LM made it known he was making a cricket game. I don't quite know what you expected, it to be released by now?

How is a comment like that going to help anyway?
arrghh i hate it when a simple questions brings in a lot of criticism.. ive been patient and readin the forums for long time now.. waitin for it like everyone else

arrghh i hate it when a simple questions brings in a lot of criticism.. ive been patient and readin the forums for long time now.. waitin for it like everyone else

lol, dont sweat it dude, its all good. Your patience is appreciated.

I was just thinking, and is this going to be free or will LM be raking in the cash :p

A much discussed (and answered) issue. It is leaning towards being free, but the final decision will not be made until the game is nearly complete.

Hi all,

time for an in-depth update cos there's been a fair bit happening behind the scenes, believe it or not ;)

As you all know, i had to overhaul the bowling physics system to fix the 'looping' from the fast bowler. Turns out there were a lot of workarounds i had earlier put in place that caused the looping. Well, i fixed all of that and now it works so much better and correctly. In the process i was able to improve the whole appearance and feel of the bowling system overall, also giving me much more control over it. I can now simply input a max speed (in kmph) for a bowler and the system will take careof everything else for me, such as slower ball range etc.

I then fixed up the wicket keeper. So he will now dive around and catch most things - i noticed a few little bugs pop up, but no biggies there, nothing at all concerning. I then fixed up a few other little things such as batsman body collision which works great now - for example, bend down to do a slog sweep and miss the ball and it can bounce up and hit you in the upper body - looks and feels very realistic. This will also effect stamina for slower deliveries and could result in injury from pacers.

I fixed up other little things such as:

- after hitting 4 or 6 the cam will stay focused on that area for a bit longer rather than cutting away immediately - trickier to implement than first expected!
- front foot no-balls
- batsman body collision and resulting effect of ball
- player builds - e.g. 'well-built' players such as Hayden now will visibly appear bigger in upper body / shoulders / arms than other lesser built players
- ball ricochet after hitting stumps - dependent on pace and angle of incoming ball

Then i started tackling the fielding. Discovered there was a massive problem with the batting when i tried to calculate where the ball would land after being struck. The batting was using a different system from the bowling, causing trouble again when using real physics fromulas. So i had to overhaul the entire batting system as well, which is what i have been working really hard on the last week, just finished yesterday :)

The result of all that hard work was immediately apparent. Like the bowling, the batting physics suddenly looked and felt sooo much better. My word, what an improvement. I also now gained much more control over it than i had before, which is awesome news. ALL shots look and feel much better, especially lofted shots, there is more variety in every stroke now than before, more control over power of strokes etc. Edges and mishits also had to be fixed accordingly, which now also look fantastic.

I then implemented the algorithms to calculate the spot where the ball would land after being struck and that all now works perfectly, so i am finally ready to make fielders run to catch / stop / intercept the ball.

So while it seems not much has been happening, i have in fact been very very busy and although it seems no major steps have been taken, from a gameplay perspective the game has improved 100%

Tonight i start on making fielders get to the ball :)

So i do apologise for the delays, but there have been massive improvements going on and i am sure you'll agree when the next video is released. Im deliberately holding out on the new vid though until the fielding is in place.

cheers,

LM

Last edited:
So when can we expect the vid to be released:upray although im not neglecting your fantastic work through the past week which should help immensly;)

Some more great news...JK is going to be returning to the action soon to be assisting me with animations, such as more bowler styles, more improved animations for existing ones which were not so great....

LM

this all sounds great cant wait cant wait to see the next vid:thumbs

for example, bend down to do a slog sweep and miss the ball and it will can bounce up and hit you in the upper body - looks and feels very realistic. This will also effect stamina for slower deliveries and could result in injury from pacers.

LM im not really sure whhat you mean here
What will effect stamina for slower deliveries?
And say if a batsman is hit, does there concentration or stamina fall?

Users who are viewing this thread