TAOC Discussion

Fantastic update LM.

Sounds absolutely frigging awesome!!! Keep up that coding!! :D :D :D

So looking forward, sure take your time though, perfection takes time, mind-blowingly good work LM :hpraise:thumbs

for example, bend down to do a slog sweep and miss the ball and it will can bounce up and hit you in the upper body - looks and feels very realistic. This will also effect stamina for slower deliveries and could result in injury from pacers.

LM im not really sure whhat you mean here
What will effect stamina for slower deliveries?
And say if a batsman is hit, does there concentration or stamina fall?

I mean that when batting against spin, if you get hit by the ball in the body, you likely wont be injured cos its much slower than pace. The effect on the batsman is a loss of stamina and focus with very small liklihood of injury. Batting against pace bowlers is much more risky - to be hit on the body means much more chance of a significant injury, while also losing stamina and focus. But this will need to be balanced well in beta testing, as it could be annoying if it happened too often and everyone got injured lol.

LM

I mean that when batting against spin, if you get hit by the ball in the body, you likely wont be injured cos its much slower than pace. The effect on the batsman is a loss of stamina and focus with very small liklihood of injury. Batting against pace bowlers is much more risky - to be hit on the body means much more chance of a significant injury, while also losing stamina and focus. But this will need to be balanced well in beta testing, as it could be annoying if it happened too often and everyone got injured lol.

LM

Sounds very interesting, cant wait to get my hands on it :D

Fantastic stuff LM! The game really looks amazing, I remeber when you first started. As for people hoping for a quick release, I would think thatthe main "feel" and gameplay will come about after rigorous tesing and tweaking of the AI, rather than just the game mechanics which are wonderful already. Imagine a game where the computer attacked your weaknesses or fought back after a collapse!

PS. About animations, have people considered finding videos of real matches, and real batsmen etc. overlaying a grid (or similar) and then drawing wireframe men on top of the real batsmen as they are playing a shot. Sounds painstaking I know, but if lots of people did it maybe it could be a great animations guide without motion capture.

Sounds great LM. Can't wait to see the video. I guess with the fielding implemented in a week or two, the release won't be far away!

Unfortunately there's still heaps to go after that, but i do definately think a corner has been turned. I think the home stretch is not far away.

Fantastic stuff LM! The game really looks amazing, I remeber when you first started. As for people hoping for a quick release, I would think thatthe main "feel" and gameplay will come about after rigorous tesing and tweaking of the AI, rather than just the game mechanics which are wonderful already. Imagine a game where the computer attacked your weaknesses or fought back after a collapse!

PS. About animations, have people considered finding videos of real matches, and real batsmen etc. overlaying a grid (or similar) and then drawing wireframe men on top of the real batsmen as they are playing a shot. Sounds painstaking I know, but if lots of people did it maybe it could be a great animations guide without motion capture.

Very true and well said. Yes, i expect a LOT of testing and tweaking, especially with the AI. But yes, the AI to me is sooo important as it determines the game's replayability. My goal, though pretty ambitious, is to create a dynamic, organic like AI that will respond to the match situation and attack, defend, make appropriate fielding and bowling changes - based on STRATEGY, declarations, bat with intent and according to state of the match and personal strengths and weaknesses, etc etc.

Regarding the animations, i think we probably have gotten over the worst of it yet and the latest batch of animations are pretty decent i think. JK is working on improving some of the lesser ones, so we're in pretty good shape there i think. Nice idea, but the only thing better than what we're doing now is mocap im afraid - and thats outta the question for this release.

LM

When are we going to get this new video then LM ? ;)

lol, um, cant say...i dont wanna release one until the fielding is done, so ill say "when the fielding is done' ;)

seriously though, i would say probably by the end of next week if everything works out well.

The animation method suggested above is an existing method of animating (normally organic) objects. It is called rotoscoping and although time-consuming, produces brilliant results. However, you need a static camera, and you need to know where the camera is in relation to the object, otherwise the movements would be nonsensical. This wouldn't really work unless someone got a camera and filmed themselves from a fixed position, and I don't think anyone has the time to do that!

To LM: Did you get the PM I sent you a while back? I wondered if your inbox was full and therefore you didn't get it, or you just don't want to hear my ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread