TAOC Discussion

Yeah, that's what I reckon, too...but it is nice playing on the highest gfx settings ;)

After reading through some of the posts and hearing about more and more of the details, I have to say that this game is sounding very, very interesting. Hats off for you guys for having the patience and blind stubbornness to push through: you could be the last hope of a really decent cricket game. Thanks for all your efforts up till now and good luck on pushing forward.

I've touched on this before, but batsmen will have stats for 'reading the play' which will help them arrive at a 'best guess' prediction of what they think the ball might do. Whether you as a player trust this is another story. Obviously you would be more inclined to trust a better batsman, like Ponting for example, over a lower order batsman like Peter Siddle.

This 'prediction' would be reflected in some kind of icon that the batsman sees.

The algorithm that determines the accuracy of the prediction is primarily based on the batsman's skill but other factors such as stamina/tiredness/focus and morale/confidence will also come into it.

LM , I think how long the batsman has been at the crease should have a big effect on their prediction. Fresh batsmen wont read it nearly as well as a batsmen whos on 100 n.o

@LM, listening about all these variations is getting me all excited but I can't really think of a way as to how will the player(when batting) will play them differently?

Lets say 1st ball has normal bounce and batsman 'should' play it straight. Now, if 2nd ball has everything same as 1st except for more bounce.. now what should the player (on batting) do differently to tackle it? And if he still plays straight ie press same keys with same timing, whats the point in having so much variations?

LM , I think how long the batsman has been at the crease should have a big effect on their prediction. Fresh batsmen wont read it nearly as well as a batsmen whos on 100 n.o

Nice call, I totally agree. This would probably fall under his confidence level I think which is directly related to how settled he is at the time.

@LM, listening about all these variations is getting me all excited but I can't really think of a way as to how will the player(when batting) will play them differently?

Lets say 1st ball has normal bounce and batsman 'should' play it straight. Now, if 2nd ball has everything same as 1st except for more bounce.. now what should the player (on batting) do differently to tackle it? And if he still plays straight ie press same keys with same timing, whats the point in having so much variations?

Good question, hope I can answer that well enough. We have included a ridiculous number of strokes in the batting, consisting of front foot and back foot variations. Height of the ball certainly does matter. Obviously the type of stroke you play will determine the resulting shot, but it is a truly freeform physics engine, so where you hit on the actual bat model will matter!

One of the reasons this game is taking so long is due to our attention to detail. The bat model held by the batsman will not just be a single collision object, rather it will be constructed of heaps of different collision zones all of which I can test for where the ball hits. So a subtle variation in bounce of the ball could mean the difference between a sweetly timed shot from the middle of the bat and a mishit.

Hope that clears that one up. Same thing applies to edges.

Well, I got what you said but I wanted to know how will the batsmen make sure that his shot is correct? What does a batsman need to do differently to tackle different bounce? Should he time the shot differently or the choice of stroke or combination or something else ?

Just to rephrase, what will player need to do differently to make sure that even the bouncing ball hits the sweet part of the bat?

Well, I got what you said but I wanted to know how will the batsmen make sure that his shot is correct? What does a batsman need to do differently to tackle different bounce? Should he time the shot differently or the choice of stroke or combination or something else ?

Just to rephrase, what will player need to do differently to make sure that even the bouncing ball hits the sweet part of the bat?

for me it was luck !!!! but then again i was no 11 always

lol, yeah, it will be timing + shot selection, front foot / back foot selection and positioning of the batsman.

as for me, selecting the correct footwork is going to make it!

LM its all sounding very good, as usual.

But earlier you said that when a spinner is bowling the level of the batsman will determine how well they predict which way the ball will spin, but even the best batsman wont get it 100% as you said. So for a good or bad bat, if they think it will be a leggie but have guessed wrong and it is a googly, what can I (the player) do about it. Will we just get bowled.

If i have built a long innings and the bat guesses wrong then i may play a cover drive and get bowled throught he gate and my work is undone is there anyway to prevent this yourself. will there be any subtle changes int he bowler which wil help me judge which way it goes.

Thank hope it makes sense

Hmm, I guess it's down to how you face it then. If a legspinner tosses up a juicy flighted delivery outside offstump and it says it's a legspinner, then it's up to you whether you want to go for the big shot and trust your instincts, or instead cover the line of the ball, and play it late and defensively, just incase it's the wrong 'un.

Also, I figure that if a good batsman is well settled in, then while he might not pick the ball exactly 100% of the time, he should be getting it right most of the time, and when he doesn't it might just be small things (like how much it will move instead of which direction).

Hmm, I guess it's down to how you face it then. If a legspinner tosses up a juicy flighted delivery outside offstump and it says it's a legspinner, then it's up to you whether you want to go for the big shot and trust your instincts, or instead cover the line of the ball, and play it late and defensively, just incase it's the wrong 'un.

Also, I figure that if a good batsman is well settled in, then while he might not pick the ball exactly 100% of the time, he should be getting it right most of the time, and when he doesn't it might just be small things (like how much it will move instead of which direction).

Well said, Zorax. Exactly right. If in doubt, though - defend. In real life you can never be 100% sure either. Sure it's easier to see what kind of ball is coming at you in real life where you can physically see the ball spinning, but sometimes you still get beaten cos you misread it. I think how I have got it is a pretty good virtual representation of real life.

I would suggest not relying too much on the prediction reading, rather trust your instincts. Think about how the bowler has set his field, how he's been bowling up to that point, has he been building up to the wrong un, trying to lull you into a false sense of security? You'll never be 100% certain, which I think is a good thing.

Last edited:
Hey LM will we have throws of variable accuracy from the CPU fielders like I said in my last post? I guess it's okay if it's harder to implement for manual throwing but having it for CPU will make it very realistic. :D

Ashes Cricket has this feature where throws are of variable accuracy.

This has to be one of the best ever features in a Cricket game! The throw is never supposed to always reach the wicketkeeper magically. :D

Users who are viewing this thread