TAOC Discussion

All I can say Master is Good luck . It sure seems a masterpiece in the making, I wish i could have helped but i m not that good with computers. But I am praying hoping for success of you and your companions in this noble cause.

Just came to know about this one. Looks promising. I don't know what kind of help I can provide. I am basically a networking guy. One question here; you mentioned about online play. So , what about latency factors. What's the acceptable ping by the Game and how much estimation will be calculated by the engine. If you are busy then no need to answer. Keep up the good work though.

@Siddharth : I'm afraid it's too early to answer those questions, but I would definately like to enlist your help when it comes time to work on the network aspects of the project. I myself am a network admin, so definately our 2 heads will be better than 1 ;-)

in any case though it will need to be pretty fast repsonse time being a realtime application...speed is really critical...so it will be a number 1 priority to optimize the network code...

but, yeah, as i said, i probably wont be tackling that area for quite some time, i need to get the main game sorted first, but i have already modularised/made provisions for network play in the code structure, so it should slot in quite nicely...

cheers,

LM

really cool mate...keep the great work going!!

Only just found this game. It's already looking aweseom. Keep it up, reps coming your way!

Thanks, Indiancricketer..

just to clarify a couple of things...

i) yes, it will have all international teams at least. Depending on time etc. i would like to have all domestic teams as well. I have made provisions for this in the code, so it will come down to time for art and data entry etc.

ii) "the cricket project" (code name for the game) will be an ONGOING project. Once the full game is released and all bugs ironed out (that are not sorted in the beta testing), i will be maintaining it AND adding to it all the time. Depending on the demand i will release many updates, so if the domestic sides are not included in the first release then you can expect them to be in future updates. I know this sounds familiar (EA??) but if the game turns out as well as i anticipate it will (i do not want to come across sounding arrogant here) then the community will hopefully get behind it as well and it can become the defacto 'cricket game of choice'. I want the game to be the best it can be at time of release, but i also realise these things have to keep evolving, so new features / improvements would be ongoing. Well, these are my grandois plans anyway ;-) First step though is to get it completed, which is what i'm working hard to do.

iii) I hope i can maintain people's interest in the project over the development time, as it is still quite far from completion. I will endeavor to keep you all updated on the ongoing progress of the game and throw in screens (and videos once the website is up) every so often.

iv) A key goal of this project is to make it easily 'moddable' - by this i mean no crazy media encryption and proprietory file formats etc. - the only thing that wont be directly editable will be the source code itself. After all ,it's the community that keeps a game alive through modding.

questions are always welcome.

regards,

LM

Legend... Keep up the good work. I have experience in the gaming industry. I work as a Quality Engineer so if you need testing help let me know.

Just from experience, if you are a one man team working on this project, keep the scope of the project simple. If you get too involved in the graphical glitz and glamour you will set yourself up for failure. I am excited to see online play. If you are putting a team together (count me in:P) make sure you assign people so that they are in a position to succeed.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck !

thanks Salman1k...

yes, that's some excellent advice. I know exactly what you mean...i also have seen many projects fail for that very reason. As you would have noticed from the screenshots so far, the graphics are ok, but are mostly there at the moment to be 'ok' as decent looking models whilst i work on the main guts of the game - they are certainly not as good yet as EA's or Codies grpahics...i assure you, no-one knows the importance of gameplay over graphics more than me ;-)

I am happy to report that the thing i am most proud of so far is the physics engine, which i designed from scratch, which unfortunately you guys can't really see in action yet...but when i release a video i am sure you will be impressed...

as previously stated, the project will be ongoing after release, so the graphics will always be improving. It is very easy to get caught spending way too much time getting graphics and glam looking real nice and having no game to use it in, which so many start-up games do get stuck in.

I really want to do the coding on my own, but for everything else i am happy to enlist aid in. There is a lot of talent here on these forums for example that it would be silly to not utilise. I would love to have you involved in testing when it comes to that time...i appreciate that input particularly from someone who is already in the industry as well...

yes, online play is quite a key goal for me, as no other cricket game to date has been able to achieve it. The longevity and value that it would add is immeasurable.

regards,

LM

Bats

Instead of the 48 bat problem in blic and in cricket 2005 is it possible that each individual player has their own bat file, as for updates this would make it a lot easier and personal sponsors could be added for each batsman. And isn't it then possible that each bat aquires its own 3d modelled shappe?

Last edited:
Madsalty said:
Instead of the 48 bat problem in blic and in cricket 2005 is it possible that each individual player has their own bat file, as for updates this would make it a lot easier and personal sponsors could be added for each batsman

yes ,we can add as much bats as we want ! :D

but we are planning a minimum of 50 and a maximum of 100. it all depends upon
how many bats we can make.

i totally agree on the fact that you want the gameplay to be the overriding factor. To me gameplay is a place that codies and EA missed out on terribly. Physics also has to be good. If you can master those two parts of the game then it will succeed. Looks awesome.

Another feature i think that should be looked into is, the ability to move the wicketkeeper. In that i mean have the choice, to be able to get him to stand up(or just back as normal) to a medium pace bowler, and then again have the risk that he might miss some balls and drop more catches.

exactly right, JK...

basically a max amount of bat 'slots' will be set e.g. 100

the bats will be pre done to a certain amount and the rest of the slots would be 'custom'...so you could use up custom slots or overwrite original slots and assign them to whatever batsman you wish

behind the scenes the particular batsman will be assigned the bat number that corresponds to that particular bat texture. simple.

LM

Users who are viewing this thread