Terry sacked as England captain

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Defender John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations he had an affair with an England team-mate's ex-girlfriend.

Terry, 29, held talks with England boss Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday.

"After much thought I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry," said Capello in a statement.

Terry said he fully respected Capello's decision to demote him, adding he would still "give everything for England".

BBC Sport - Football - John Terry stripped of England captaincy by Capello

We all knew it was going to happen. Wouldn't have given Ferdinand the captaincy mind you.

R.I.P BIG MAN/LIONHEART Terry.

Rio's vice-captain anyway, so it was a logical move.

Was outstanding for us as captain during 2007/08, really showed leadership qualities that I thought were beyond him, plus he's also captained Leeds in the past.

I just don't like him, think he's a bit of a twat. Much rather see Lampard, Rooney or Gerrard get it.

I just don't like him, think he's a bit of a twat. Much rather see Lampard, Rooney or Gerrard get it.

Too much responsibility for Rooney. Gerrard is half assed when he plays for England and Lampard is still unpopular with England fans.

Rio, when captain at United seemed to step his game up and his concentration was far better. I think he should have got the job over Terry anyway.

I think if Gerrard had got the job it would lift his performances. Rooney can handle it, people just think because he's still young we need to look after him. That's bullshit, he's our best player and he deserves it.

I think if Gerrard had got the job it would lift his performances. Rooney can handle it, people just think because he's still young we need to look after him. That's bullshit, he's our best player and he deserves it.

It's not because he's too young. He's already the player we are relying on to bring the world cup back. England captain involves doing a lot of press, something Rooney could do without and just concentrate on his game.

How much has Gerrards performance been lifted this season as Liverpool Captain? He's always been a Liverpool player above England, thats not what we need.

Maybe I've missed something in the news reports but the guy had an affair; he didn't kill anyone.
The total hypocrisy of the rightwing press with their phoney morality agenda also pisses me off big time. Rio Ferdinand; captain of England? God help us. Even Fergie reckons that Ferdinand is on the wane.

The crap they are coming out with "The public have a right to know" etc is crap, no doubt. They are trying to sell papers, make money. At the end of the day, I think this will have lost us the World Cup. The players distrust JT now, and I think it will be hard for us.

Giving the captaincy to Ferdinand, whilst respectable (because he was appointed v-c at the start of Capello's reign), is laughable because there is a chance he won't even be fit for it.

Good thing they dont have punishments for infidelity in American sports, otherwise every single player in the NBA would be suspended

Think Capello's hand was pretty much forced here, this is one of the worse things that could have happened for the England side, I just hope it can all be salvaged before the World Cup

Maybe I've missed something in the news reports but the guy had an affair; he didn't kill anyone.
The total hypocrisy of the rightwing press with their phoney morality agenda also pisses me off big time. Rio Ferdinand; captain of England? God help us. Even Fergie reckons that Ferdinand is on the wane.

Capello made the decision. Trust his judgement, he's done nothing wrong so far.

And as far as you all complaining about Rio being captain, suggest a better candidate?? Gerrard has been injured for a large part of the season (and has been rubbish) with many different injuries. That for me is more worrying than Ferdinand's one injury (his back). He's been doing strengthening work and still has 4 months until the world cup (Rio).

As for "At the end of the day, I think this will have lost us the World Cup. The players distrust JT now, and I think it will be hard for us."

- If the players distrust JT now, he's brought it on himself. If your England and Chelsea captain, your of media interest. Like it or not, it's the world we live in and people BUY papers because of stories like this. It's not the first time he's been caught cheating so if he hasn't learnt by now, he's an incredibly naive individual.

If it hadn't have been with an England teamates gf than there wouldn't be anywhere near this much fuss. Stop blaming the media and blame the idiot who put Capello in the corner. JT.

To be fair, it's not like this is the first time John Terry's done something like this. He's cheated on his wife like 4/5 times. Been caught abusing Americans the day after 9/11 and racial abused an asian guy in a club. He's not exactly the image of England we'd like to project.

Been caught abusing Americans the day after 9/11 and racial abused an asian guy in a club. He's not exactly the image of England we'd like to project.

Didn't know he'd done this. If this is true than my opinion of him has got even lower....

I think the chelsea players should respond by wearing "double team" and the name of bridge's missus.

Users who are viewing this thread