Test Cricket Draft

good pick.

Yep. Best damn opener there ever was.

mrtwisties added 14 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Yes, but even if his bowling was average it made him a great all-rounder still. He has taken over 200 Test match wickets though (I think, could be wrong) and that is no mean feat. He is a good bowler and a legendary allrounder.

Unquestionably he's THE legendary all-rounder. But the standards in this draft are incredibly high, so our calculations about all-rounders have to change a bit. In an ordinary team, 200+ wickets and a decent economy rate means he could be your fourth full-time bowler. In a team of legends, he simply can't - which means he should be picked primarily for his batting and perhaps an over or two for variety's sake.

Of course, the bowling all-rounder is a different kettle of fish. Unfortunately, there are precious few and I doubt I'll be getting one.

I'll drop a surprise and I will take Hobbs partner in crime at the top, Herbert Sutcliffe.

Reason: This guy could grasp any situation and take it in his stride, whether it be a road or a sticky wicket, like his partner at the top, he was a true master of his craft. In my opinion his record speaks for itself.

2. Herbert Sutcliffe

Last edited:
101055.jpg

Imran Khan - Inspriational captaincy, arguably one of the best bowlers of alltime and good enough to make any team's 6-7 batting slot. Overall, he brings better overall qualities to the team then any allround cricketer that's ever played the game and this selection gives me the option of bowling 2 frontline spinners, if need be.

7. Imran Khan (c)

1. Bill Ponsford
7. Ian Botham

Ponsfords record is amazing, and he is a player I regard as Australia's second greatest Test batsmen scoring 7 tons and 6 half tons in 29 matches. To average 48 in Test cricket around the time of the mid 1920's is great. He was one of the first Australian batsmen to finish with an average of over 40 (I have the inside cricket special with all 400 Australian players.) Ponsford ability to play key parts in big partnerships cannot be doubted, as twice in the same series he clocked a partnership of over 400 with Don Bradman. He also averages 65 after 162 first class matches, scoring 47 tons and 43 half tons. That's a fantastic conversion rate.

Botham is one of the best allrounders the game has ever produced. His record hardly sets the world on fire with a Test batting average of 33 and ODI batting average of 23 but he was a player who could cause amazing destruction and easily take the game away from you with either a great bowing spell or a few overs with the bat. Sir Ian Botham took 383 wickets at 28 with a great 27 5fers, which shows he gets the job done in style. Sir Ian Botham is in my opinion, the second greatest allrounder Test cricket has ever seen.

Last edited:
Code:
1.01 Bladescape - Don Bradman
1.02 mrtwisties - Shane Warne
1.03 King Pietersen - Malcolm Marshall
1.04 Dare - Garfield Sobers
1.05 metallics2006 - George Headly
1.06 Jakester1288 - Muttiah Muralidaran
1.07 King Cricket - Jack Hobbs
1.08 Crew of Black - Herbert Sutcliffe
1.09 aussie_ben91 - Imran Kahn
1.10 Feelin Blue? - Bill Ponsford

2.01 Feelin Blue? - Ian Botham
2.02 aussie_ben91 -
2.03 Crew of Black
2.04 King Cricket
2.05 Jakester1288
2.06 metallics2006 
2.07 Dare
2.08 King Pietersen
2.09 mrtwisties
2.10 Bladescape

Ben is up.

files%5C378Kumar%20Sangakkara.jpg

Kumar Sangakkara - Very controverisal pick, so early on in the draft but one that gives my team stability. Not only is Imran Khan a better batsman then any wicketkeeper that will be picked (except for Gilly) but Sangakkara has the potential to finish his career as one of the finest batsman of his era. Batting him down at number 6, will give him enough rest-bite and he has proven himself to be a lifesaver for Sri Lanka on many occasions, incases of a batting collaspe - another reason to bat him down at 6. Sangakkara also has the experience of wicketkeeping to quality spinners (such as Muralitharan) on spin-friendly pitches. With the 2 allrounder slots out of the equation, it now gives me the rest of the draft to focus on drafting the right batsman & bowlers from here on in. A tough pick, but a good one at that, in my opinion.

6. Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
7. Imran Khan (c)

Keith Miller.

Reason: He just exudes a sense of coolness, maybe it comes from being a fighter pilot in WWII. He was always looking for a challenge, whether it be his opponents or pushing the limits of his captain Don Bradman. A cut-throat new ball bowler who would often try to actually hit you in that region or just plain knock your head clean off, however his batting could be as equally as good as what he did with the ball, he combined an exquisite technique with his destructive flair, to round off what is simply the great all-rounder of that era.

2. Herbert Sutcliffe
8. Keith Miller

Good pick that, Miller > Botham. Quite a few players I wanted have already gone, Headley, Warne, Miller, Imran, Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Sobers.

Good pick that, Miller > Botham. Quite a few players I wanted have already gone, Headley, Warne, Miller, Imran, Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Sobers.

Tell me about it. But I don't think you get to build your team entirely out of legends in this game.

Users who are viewing this thread