Draft: The Budget Draft: Project 200

p01h9jd3.jpg

And now I have a double pick. I was going to use one of them for SF Barnes, but again he went to @blockerdave so I'm going to pick the two batsmen who I can think of who were most obviously "better" than their averages suggest. The first is The Doctor himself (or God, to Monty Python fans): WG Grace. Test cricket did not exist while he was at his peak; instead, his career took place between the ages of 32 and 51. Even so, by the time he retired, he was one of only four players to have surpassed 1,000 Test runs. In his first-class career, he managed a mind-bending 124 centuries, and stood head and shoulders above his contemporaries. So much better was he that in the summer of 1871, he scored ten first-class centuries. Every other player put together in first-class cricket scored only seven. He was Bradman before there could be Bradman. He was also a right bastard.

Test Stats (22 matches)
:bat: 1,098 runs @ 32.29 (2 centuries, best 170)
:bwl: 9 wickets @ 26.22 (best 2/12)

upload_2020-3-1_17-11-29.png

My other pick is another Australian: 5'5" Syd Gregory. Despite his small stature, he was a giant of the game in his era in Australia. The first man to play in over fifty Test matches, and only the second to record a double-century. He did so in his eponymous home city's first-ever Test, only to experience the misfortune of ending up on the losing side, even after his innings forced England to follow on. Indeed, his career was somewhat characterised by misfortune: on those occasions when batting conditions were good, he would bat below the likes of Trumper, Hill and Armstrong. Once they'd batted, there often wouldn't be much batting left to do. Only in unseemly conditions did he get the chance to dig in, and this is rather reflected in an unusually low career average for someone who was universally recognised as an excellent batsman.

Test Stats (58 matches)
:bat: 2,282 runs @ 24.53 (4 centuries, best 201)
:bwl: no wickets

1. :eng: :bat: WG Grace (Cost: 32)
5. :aus: :bat: Syd Gregory
(Cost: 24)
6. :aus: :ar: Richie Benaud :c: (Cost: 24)
10. :aus: :bwl: Jack Iverson
(Cost: 0)

Budget remaining: 120

@DalePlaysCricket

Nasser Hussain. Can captain and pretty much maintain his average while doing so
Can dig in at no 3 if needs be. Also has over 5000 test runs and is only costing me 38, so not breaking the bank.

@blockerdave

I'm aware of only one opening batsman who's career was of any length who both averages over 50 in first class cricket and under 20 in Test Cricket.

Step forward Stephen James "Jimmy" Cook. 270 First Class matches played mostly during South Africa's isolation meant his 21,143 runs at 50.58 garnered just 3 tests with 107 runs at 17.83.

So - World class opening batsman - check. FC average that puts him up there with the very best - check. Costs me less in this budget than several much worse players - check.

1. Jimmy Cook (cost 17)
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. Stuart Law (cost 0)
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. George Lohmann (cost 8)
  10. Sydney Barnes (cost 8)
  11. -
Budget used - 33. Budget remaining - 167.

Next up @CerealKiller

1. Jimmy Cook (cost 17)
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. Stuart Law (cost 0)
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  11. -
We have all lost. This might be the best start I've ever seen anyone make to a draft - especially if you end up getting the other first-choice player I think you're aiming to get.

There is, as
We have all lost. This might be the best start I've ever seen anyone make to a draft - especially if you end up getting the other first-choice player I think you're aiming to get.

My initial plan was for Law and Cook as my first 2 picks - I honestly thought that everyone would scramble for batsmen first: but when it turned out that everyone went for bowlers I thought Lohmann, Barnes and one other... expected to get one of them and you to bag at least one of the others.

I’m undecided on my next pic, whether I prioritise budget, balance, or both...

There is, as

My initial plan was for Law and Cook as my first 2 picks - I honestly thought that everyone would scramble for batsmen first: but when it turned out that everyone went for bowlers I thought Lohmann, Barnes and one other... expected to get one of them and you to bag at least one of the others.

I’m undecided on my next pic, whether I prioritise budget, balance, or both...
Yeah, it's interesting how this has panned out so far. I also expected more people to go for batsmen, which is why I decided to wait on Lohmann for one go - which was long enough for you to pick him up. Otherwise, I've stuck to my guns by picking up Benaud, Grace and Gregory because I feel like they'd be vital.

Your batsmen have been incredible for you though - picking up Law and Jimmy Cook for less than the cost of Stuart Broad is extremely impressive.

Although it means my tail is long-ish, i’ll go with "Dainty" Ironmonger as my spinner. He has a Test batting average of 2.62. He debuted aged 45, and therefore played only 14 Tests, taking 74 wickets at 17. In 96 FC matches he had 464 wickets at average of 21.

CerealKiller’s XI
8. :pak: Waqar Younis :bwl: (Cost: 10)
9. :saf: Allan Donald :bwl: (Cost: 10)
10. :aus: Glenn McGrath :bwl: (Cost: 7)
11. :aus: Bert Ironmonger :bwl: (Cost: 2)

Budget remaining : 171

@ahmedleo414

Although it means my tail is long-ish, i’ll go with "Dainty" Ironmonger as my spinner. He has a Test batting average of 2.62. He debuted aged 45, and therefore played only 14 Tests, taking 74 wickets at 17. In 96 FC matches he had 464 wickets at average of 21.

CerealKiller’s XI

Budget remaining : 171

@ahmedleo414

this is a fine bowing attack. And from my memories of him batting, I’m staggered Alan Donald averaged 10!! Reckon you’ve been mugged off by a good 5 runs, he was awful.

My final bowling option Danish Kaneria

:bat: 360 runs @ 7.05 (best 29)
:bwl: 261 wickets @ 34.79 (15 5WI, 0 10WI, best 7/77)

8.:bwl:
:wi: Ian Bishop (Cost: 12)
9. :bwl: :pak: Danish Kaneria (Cost: 7)
10. :bwl: :wi: Courtney Walsh (Cost: 8)
11. :bwl: :wi: Lance Gibbs (Cost: 7)

Budget remaining: 166

@CerealKiller

A tiny bit costlier than i wanted with his batting average of 25, but Mike Procter is among the finest all-rounders to ever play. Apartheid limited his Test career to just 7 matches, but his FC numbers are mind boggling: almost 22000 runs at an average of 36, to go with 1417 wickets at 19 runs apiece with his right arm fast bowling.

CerealKiller’s XI
7. :saf: Mike Procter :ar: (Cost: 25)

Budget remaining : 146

@blockerdave

What a pick!

My next pick is the first player in my team who never hit the heights of being world class. He does however hold the distinction of being the only player to open an innings in test cricket and never be dismissed.

30 mins in to his test debut, Andy Lloyd took one on the bean from Malcolm Marshall and came a smeller. He never played for England again, and though he continued some years for Warwickshire he was never the same player, reflected in his overall career average of 34.28. But he did score over 17,000 runs and 29 centuries - not to be sniffed at given he played in an era when nearly every county had a West Indian fast bowler, and the great all rounders were mostly in county cricket too.

And importantly for this draft, he costs absolutely nothing, having been 10* in his one and only inns.

He will open alongside Jimmy Cook, a solid right hand/left hand opening partnership.

1. Jimmy Cook (cost 17)
  2. Andy Lloyd (cost 0)
  3. -
  4. -
  5. Stuart Law (cost 0)
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  11. -
Budget used - 33. Budget remaining - 167.

@DalePlaysCricket, you're up next

Just leaving this here to make my life easier

3.:eng: Nasser Hussain:bat: (38)
7.:eng:Aurthur McIntyre:wk: (3)
8.:nz: Terry Alderman:bwl: (7)
10.:sri: Muttiah Muralitharan :bwl: (12)
11.:eng: James Anderson :bwl: (10)

Budget: 70/200

Users who are viewing this thread