Story The Dream

Thanks for all the comments. Will update after my football training with the first game of the season. Who did we play? Did we win?

Find out soon.

"Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations"

Today was the day we found out the fixtures for the year. I was hoping we could have a few easy games to start with to get our confidence up and then play our hard games so whilst in form, we can do as good as we can. That would also mean having the hard teams out of the way. But being Derbyshire, every team is a hard team. There are a few teams I wouldn't want first match, such as Surrey, Essex, Somerset and Northamptonshire. As long as we didn't get one of those teams as our first game I would be happy.

I looked at my e-mail with the fixtures list and saw our first game. My eyes dropped and instead of being unhappy with the first game I let off a small chuckle. Coincidences can come big sometimes and guess who we were playing first? The team that offered me a job and then signed someone up without telling me first.

19 April 2006 - Derbyshire v Surrey(County Championship D2)

Our first game will be against Surrey, one of the teams I didn't want to play. They have a very strong team and are one of the favourites to get promoted up to County Championship Division One and many reckon they can win the league. Well hopefully we can show that we can play with the best in our league and do well against them. Heres hoping.

23 April 2006 - Yorkshire v Derbyshire(Challenge Trophy North)

Our second game of the month would be a One Day game against yet another strong team. Yorkshire have been in the Semi Finals in the Challenge Trophy for the last two years and have a formidable bowling attack, let alone their very strong batting line-up. This will be a very tough game, one which, especially being away, will be one of our first tests.

29 April 2006 - Derbyshire v Sri Lanka

This game is going to be incredibly difficult. Sri Lanka will be touring England and they will be playing us in their second warm up game. They will no doubt go with their best team and aim to thrash us. I'm hoping to take them all the way to the end of the third day and try to get a draw or if possible, a win. I think I'm hoping a bit too much here but you never know. They might have a poor day and we might have a good day.

That concludes our fixtures for this month, only the three but from every other month we will be having a jam packed month full of games. All the competitions will be starting this month and hopefully we can start well. I'm hoping to do well in the Challenge Trophy, but my main aim will be to do well in the County Championship. Who knows, maybe even get promoted? We have the spirit to get promoted but I'm not sure about the quality. Here are the divisions we will be playing in this year:

County Championship Division Two
1. Derbyshire
2. Essex
3. Glamorgan
4. Gloucestershire
5. Leicestershire
6. Northamptonshire
7. Somerset
8. Surrey
9. Worcestershire

Challenge Trophy(North)
1. Derbyshire
2. Durham
3. Lancashire
4. Leicestershire
5. Northamptonshire
6. Nottinghamshire
7. Warwickshire
8. Worcestershire
9. Yorkshire
10. Scotland CC

Twenty Over Cup(North)
1. Derbyshire
2. Durham
3. Lancashire
4. Leicestershire
5. Nottinghamshire
6. Yorkshire

Pro League Division Two
1. Derbyshire
2. Leicestershire
3. Gloucestershire
4. Hampshire
5. Kent
6. Somerset
7. Surrey
8. Worcestershire
9. Yorkshire

We're first in everything! Here's hoping every game gets rained off...

Haha! Your first in everything because "Derbyshire" is the first team which comes in Chronological order. ;)

Great works Jaz. Sri Lanka is going to be a toughie though.

Haha! Your first in everything because "Derbyshire" is the first team which comes in Chronological order. ;)

Great works Jaz. Sri Lanka is going to be a toughie though.

I know. I was just mentioning that the season shouldn't start as then we'd win everything. :p

Yeah, Sri Lanka will be the most difficult game this month I feel but it is also the most pointless so I doubt that I will go full throttle in the match. We don't need to win it, although it would be nice.

Cheers for the post.

Great work Jaz. Its a great story. hope you make this story as entertaining as the "Russia via.." one. Hoping this one to be much better than the other one. Keep it up.

Derbyshire v Surrey - First Day

First game of the season, the one everyone had been waiting for. We were at home, although we were still expected to lose. Surrey are one of the best teams in the division and would definitely be expecting to win. But will they? Today was set to be an incredible day. Sun all the time, with no chance of rain. The same could be said for most days as there was due to be alot of sun. On the second day though there would be a touch of overcast and perhaps some swing in the air. So perhaps a batting pitch with a very fast outfield. Interesting pitch.

The first team for me to decide was quite a tough one. I didn't know whether to go with 4 or 5 bowlers. I decided to go with 5 bowlers. 3 seamers, 1 medium pacer and a spinner. The thing is, which spinner? Do I go for the experienced Anthony Botha or do I go for the young prodigy of Rowntree. I decided to go with experience this time, as Surrey is a big match. Pipe, being our only person who can keep wicket, came in as wicket keeper. Jones, Lungley, Dean and Welch all picked themselves to be honest with Botha being the fifth bowler.

The batting team was hard to choose, with a 17 year old and a 23 year old being told they wouldn't be playing. Di Venuto and Birt take 1 and 2, whilst Adnan clearly takes the number 3 spot. Stubbings easily comes into the team and now it was the choice of Taylor, Borrington or France. I decided to go with Taylor in the end, as he had played more games than the others and that could help him in such a game like this. This match will be Adnan's 99th first class match.

Welch won the toss and decided that he would bowl first. I always chose to bowl first when I captained my side when I was young. I always liked batting second, knowing what score I had to get. Brings back memories. Walters and Newman walked out to the crease with not too much pressure. A middle order of Ramprakash, Brown, Clarke, Butcher and Benning should take most of the pressure away from you to be honest. This is going to be such a hard match.

We started well with Newman playing and missing a full ball from Kevin Dean. With not many chances happening and the scoreboard ticking along nicely, Newman brings up his half century. 50* off 80 balls and looking very comfortable. Two quick played and misses though soon saw his confidence drop a little as he slowed down the run rate. Despite this, Surrey saw through to the end of the first session. End of the first session of the season and it wasn't a good one. No wickets, and 99 runs to boot. Here's hoping we can get wickets, as if not, we're going to have a long match ahead of us.

Day One Lunch Interval - Surrey 99/0
Newman 58*
Walters 27*

Shortly after the players came back onto the pitch, we got our first wicket of the season. Stewart Walters the man to go, as he was caught for 40 runs off Lungley's bowling. A wicket we needed and gave us a glimmer of hope, of staying in this game.

S Walters - c Birt b Lungley - 40(132)

Despite this wicket, Scott Newman carried on scoring fast and brought up his century not long after. It only took him 173 balls as Surrey looked in complete control. A stroke of luck then came as Mark Ramprakash was run out for 25, when he was clearly in. It was just the luck we needed!

M Ramprakash - run out - 25(84)

Newman and Brown held out to Tea though as no more wickets fell. Surrey were know coasting along and didn't look like they would be stopping any time soon. Newman was now on 130* whilst Brown was on 9*.

Day One Tea Interval - Surrey 215/2
Newman 130*
Brown 9*

Two overs into the last session of the day and Alistair Brown was gone! He went for 9 runs without making any more runs after the Lunch Interval and fell to Lungley who picked up his third wicket. Lungley was on a roll and was looking like an international bowler!

A Brown - c Botha b Lungley - 9(26)

Rikki Clarke was the new man in. Newman was starting to make edges and missing more and more balls and it was obvious there was soon going to be a wicket. Yet it still wasn't Newman. Rikki Clarke went after making a cameo of 12 off 17 balls. Lungley the man to get him out, getting his third wicket of the days play.

R Clarke - c Adnan b Lungley - 12(17)

Ex England International Mark Butcher was now in and he could make some runs when he wanted to. Newman brought up his 150 in the same over though as he started to compose himself. It didn't last long though as Newman, finally, got out for 156 runs. 250 balls it took him, which showed how quickly he had batted. You won't guess who got him out... Lungley. His 4th wicket of the day, which gave him figures of 4-53. What a big wicket that was!

S Newman - c Pipe b Lungley - 156(250)

James Benning was now in and he was the last recognized batsman. We got offered the new ball, which he obviously took. Welch and Jones would be the bowlers to take it. After a 35 run partnership, and the score on 291/5, we get another breakthrough. Welch gets a wicket as the medium pacers take it to the bowlers, with James Benning going for a mere 16 runs.

J Benning - lbw b Welch - 16(42)

In came Azhar Mahmood. Out went Azhar Mahmood. Lungley had come back into the attack and picked up his 5th wicket! A 5fer which he thoroughly deserved. Our first of the season and hopefully not our last. This could just be the little bit of spirit that we needed. A little extra.

A Mahmood - b Lungley - 3(11)

Kumble was now in, and he can bat. Butcher now had to bat with the tail and try and make as big a score as he could. Thankfully for us, this was not the case. A mere 31 was his final score as he got bowled by Dean. Not what they needed, but exactly what we needed.

M Butcher - b Dean - 31(74)

The same over saw another wicket. Anil Kumble also getting bowled by Dean as Surrey began to crumble. One more wicket was needed and we were looking good. Incredible bowling by Dean to get Anil Kumble, who would be picking up wickets against us soon, no doubt.

A Kumble - b Dean - 3(8)

Ormond and Bicknell were now in as the last partnership to try and scrap any more runs. There was only 2 overs left to be bowled in the day and it was looking like we were to be bowling tomorow. Which was to be true. No more wickets fell but overall it was a brilliant session. 102 runs for 7 wickets. A brilliant comeback by us as we were still in the game!

End of Day One - Surrey 317/9
Bicknell 1*
Ormond 0*
Lungley 5-61
Dean 82-2

A great first Day, which started hazardous. Thankfully we had Lungley to bowl us into the match when we looked like we couldn't. Dean also pitched in with the bowling. Newman took the Surrey batting total up to the score, nearly single handed, as some of their batsmen failed. He was the only batsman to get over 50 runs even though most were expected to. Lets hope Day Two can start better.

Major collapse from Surrey. They had you for the taking. Great bowling by Lungley, thanks to him they're going for such a low score.

Major collapse in the third session by Surrey. Good bowling by Lungley and Derbyshire are back in the game. Hope they get the final wicket quickly on Day 2 and they score some quick runs.

Great update Jaz

Thats a good comeback by Derby. Well bowled Lungley! Just need to get the last wicket and get ready for batting. :)

Fantastic works Jaz!

Derbyshire v Surrey - Second Day

After a very action packed first day, with lots of runs and wickets, it was time for the second day. Over night I tried to think of a plan on how to get the last batsmen out very early on and watched some videos of the bowlers batting. I know their weakness now. Anyway after a very close first day, thanks to Lungley, it was time for our bowlers to get out their and get us a wicket.

It only took 4 balls in the first session for the wicket to fall. With 3 dot balls in Botha's over, he finally got his first wicket of the campaign. Martin Bicknell going for One run after getting stumped. 317 was Surrey's final score, and even though it was less than was expected, it is still a big total. However, if we make a decent score and don't have to follow on then we should do well.

M Bicknell - st Pipe b Botha - 1(13)

Change of Innings - Surrey 317ao
Newman 156
Walters 40
Lungley 5-61
Dean 2-82

Di Venuto and Birt walked out to the middle to start of our first batting innings of the season. I was hoping they would bat well but it was to be very difficult. We had the worst start imaginable as Di Venuto went in and came straight back as he fell for one run. 6 minutes was the amount of time he spent out their before getting out to Bicknell. This is not going well.

M Di Venuto - c Benning b Bicknell - 1(7)

With the score on 3/1, Surrey get a golden chance. Mahmood bowls a full bowl on the offside, towards the off stump, which Birt snaps at and gets dropped by Newman in the slips. Birt was dropped whilst only being on one run. Just the luck we need? A series of boundaries from Adnan starts to take our total up. Adnan was nearly given out, as Ormond came in for his first over and his last ball hit Adnan's pads. The umpire thought about it then shook his head. Shortly after though, Anil Kumble was in. In his first over he got a breakthrough. Birt tried to hit Kumble down the offside but got caught by Newman, who held on this time. 42/2.

T Birt - c Newman b Kumble - 10(44)

Taylor was now in who only just got into the team ahead of Borrington and France. He needed to impress. Adnan and Taylor were now building a solid partnership, taking care of the bowlers quite well. Unfortunately the partnership soon ended with the score on 74. Adnan was the man to go, just missing out of his half century. Bicknell was the man to get the wicket as he was bowling incredibly well.

H Adnan - b Bicknell - 41(82)

With Stubbings and Taylor seeing out the final few overs till lunch it came to the last over, to be bowled by Anil Kumble. It was just our luck that they would get a wicket. Stubbings was the man to fall to Kumble, as the ball hit his pads and was going on to hit middle stump. 85/4 and at this rate we will be lucky to reach 150.

S Stubbings - lbw Kumble - 6(8)

Welch was now in and survived the rest of the over without hitting any runs. Anil Kumble and Martin Bicknell had ripped through our top order with both bowlers looking incredibly good. Azhar Mahmood and James Ormond weren't bowling well but that might not matter as when Taylor or Welch goes, we only have Pipe and our bowlers left. We need runs.

Day Two Lunch Interval - Derbyshire 85/4(trail by 232 runs)
Taylor 18*
Welch 0*
Bicknell 2-18
Kumble 2-21

Welch and Taylor soon brought up the 100 shortly after lunch. Their partnership was just starting to grow, when Azhar Mahmood got the wicket. A 27 run partnership ended when Welch got caught off Mahmood's bowling for 13 runs. It's now down to my wicket-keeper, who isn't the best batsman, and Taylor. 112/5.

G Welch - c Brown b Mahmood - 13(22)

Taylor was starting to be a nuisance to Surrey as he kept the scoreboard ticking and kept the runs coming. A very scary over soon came though from Mahmood. First ball, Pipe played and missed. Second ball, Pipe missed the ball again. Third ball, an lbw appeal. 3 chances for Surrey in 3 balls! He did end the over well though, getting two boundaries of the last 3 balls. Pipe and Taylor were now batting very well together and almost brought up the 150. They would of, if Kumble didn't get another wicket. Pipe came down the wicket to hit Kumble down the ground, but missed his shot and soon got stumped by Brown. Not what we needed! We had recomposed ourselves somewhat, at 147/6, but it still wasn't good enough.

D Pipe - st Brown b Kumble - 21(35)

The 150 was brought up just after Anthony Botha came in and then Taylor's first half century of the season came. A great innings from him, an indispensable innings so far. Botha and Taylor were batting better together than expected and that was obvious from their batting. Unfortunately, Taylor soon went. Kumble picked up his 4th wicket of the match as Taylor edged one through to the wicketkeeper. 184/7 and the innings virtually back in the balance. Well not back in the balance, but more in the balance.

C Taylor - c Brown b Kumble - 63(149)

There was only about 10 minutes left till the end of the second session so all we needed to do was hold on! This wasn't the case though as in the next over, Mahmood got Jones out for a 3 ball duck. Caught by their star bowler Kumble, Jones didn't do much at all, not that much was expected. 185/8 is the score now, we need to make it to tea!

P Jones - c Kumble b Mahmood - 0(3)

In came Lungley, our main bowler against Surrey in their innings. He came and blocked the first ball. The second bowl though so Mahmood pick up his second wicket of the over. The ball hit his pads just in line, well enough for the Umpire to give it out. A 2 ball duck this time. It's up to Dean and Botha.

T Lungley - lbw Mahmood - 0(2)

We held through an over from Kumble but Mahmood was back in to bowl the last over of the session, which proved to be the last over of our innings. Dean went for a 2 ball duck off the second bowl with no further runs added to the score. Disappointing total to be honest, which leaves us 132 runs behind.

M Bicknell - st Pipe b Botha - 1(13)

Change of Innings - Derbyshire 185ao
Taylor 63
Adnan 41
Kumble 4-47
Mahmood 4-60

It was our turn to bowl once again and we had one over to bowl before it would be tea. Kevin Dean was the man to bowl it, with Newman and Walters at the crease. Their openers were their highest scorers in their first innings so getting them out early was vital. There was only two runs of the over but the last ball saw Newman play and miss a bowl by Dean which just skimmed off stump.

Day Two Tea Interval - Surrey 2/0(lead by 134 runs)
Walters 1*
Newman 0*

Their opening partnership didn't last long at all as we got an early breakthrough! Walters was the man to go for 2 runs, to Kevin Dean. He got trapped lbw in front of the wicket. Plumb. Ramprakash was the man next to come in, so one good batsman out, a great batsman in. 3/1, a great start by our bowlers.

S Walters - lbw Dean - 2(9)

The ball was swinging both ways as the batsmen were being mistaken for many bowls. Newman came forward to flick a leg side shot, but instead flicked it straight down to Jones. Caught and bowled! The man who hit 156 runs in the first innings was out! Ramprakash is the man to get now. 25.2 the score as we now enter the game at a balance.

S Newman - c & b Jones - 14(23)

Alistair Brown was now in. He only managed 3 runs last time before getting out to Lungley. It was Dean's turn to get him out this time though as he went for a duck! The spirit was shining through and Surrey were turning around in disbelief. They were now 28/3 and struggling! They were back peddling and with so much swing in this session, we were on top. Come on Derbyshire!

A Brown - b Dean - 0(6)

Rikki Clarke was the next man in but by now our opening spells were over. Both Dean and Jones bowled 7 overs each and definitely gave us a good start to the innings. Lungley came in at one end for Dean, and almost got Clarke out second bowl as he played and missed whilst being on only 18 runs. Welch came in at the other end, as I tried to utilize the swing in the air. The breakthrough then came, and I got the man I wanted. Mark Ramprakash went for a cover drive but played all around a full bowl from Graeme Welch, resulting in getting himself bowled! 76/4 but surrey have some good batsmen left. It's looking good for us.

M Ramprakash - b Welch - 24(54)

Mark Butcher was now in. He made 31 in the first innings before getting bowled by Dean. Who cares about him, another wicket! Rikki Clarke the man out this time as Lungley picks up his first wicket of the innings. They scored no more runs since the last wicket in the last over and we were looking like the favourites now! The second caught and bowled of the innings but it doesn't matter how he got out, the main the was, he was out.

R Clarke - c & b Lungley - 29(42)

James Benning was now... out! 2 wickets in two balls! Lungley is on a hat-trick! James Benning came to the crease but only lasted the one ball, before getting out for a golden duck. Lungley bowled a short one, which Benning messed all up, hitting it to Botha in the process. 76/6. Butcher is the last pure batsman in, with Azhar Mahmood being the last all rounder. We were nearly into their bowlers!

J Benning - c Botha b Lungley - 0(1)

Lungley to bowl the hat-trick ball... no wicket. It's a pitty but I'm not going to complain about him getting the two wickets. Two big wickets. Butcher was now looking very comfortable and was making sure they kept getting runs. Dean, the man who got him out last time, came in with Botha at the other end. Botha's first ball resulted in us getting a wicket! Azhar Mahmood went to put the bat to the ball to block it but the ball missed the bat and hit the pads. Out! Anil Kumble in now, we're into the bowlers. 99/7.

A Mahmood - lbw Botha - 6(16)

Dean nearly got Butcher out the next over, with Butcher missing the ball completely. For some reason Butcher doesn't seem confident at all when playing against Dean. Both the batsman at the crease defended the respective overs until the end of the day. A fantastic session for us, although we were still going to bat very well to get the required runs. At least it's a start.

End of Day One - Surrey 113/7(lead by 245 runs)
Butcher 17*
Kumble 12*
Lungley 2-23
Dean 2-23

The day didn't start too well with our batting collapsing and failing in most departments. The day however took a surprising turn as we bowled to our hearts content and hurried through the Surrey batting line-up getting 7 wickets for 111 runs in the last session. As long as we can keep them below 150, we can have a chance. If they get around 170 we will need to get 300 in our innings which just may be out of our reach. The main thing is, we're still in it!

Users who are viewing this thread