The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
Luck is the biggest factor. At the moment, its not with us not even a bit. Half of our players are injured. Lee,Symonds,Watson,Jaques,MCgain. We are definately not finished.In 2006 we lost 5 ODI matches in a row and also lost 1st spot to Proteas. In World Cup we showed, we are best. Atm, we are down but this is just for some time. We will be back soon as we are used to be. We could have won the Boxing day test match but again the luck played a big part, Lee was unable to bowl a single delivery which the Proteas took a massive advantage. We will again start dominating in no time.

No, because Ponting is still in charge. We are in the Ponting era and it's still on going. If we want to do it in dates, then yes. Our reign of dominance over say the past 10 years (debatable) has probably finished now Martyn, Langer, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath have retired. Although, I'm confident in a few years time, we will be starting another era of dominance.

This is the end of Australias dominance in my opinion they've slowly lost legends of the game and the can't be all replaced. You can harp on about how many people have been injured and luck but teams like India and South Africa have overtaken the Aussies in the pecking order now and I think this will be represented by the rankings within a few years. Not saying they are a poor team now as the obviously aren't but they aren't going to be as dominant as the last decade.

Pretty much now that we have been beaten in Australia the flood gates are opening. And if our selectors continue to not learn their lesson from series losses then we will be lucky to beat Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

The bowling attack is key for the Australians. You need a bowling attack that can take twenty wickets and the batting will then take care of itself.
I would give Krezja a run in the side since he may bowl a few loose ball but can take wickets at least until McGain recovers and I suppose they hope that young Steven Smith learns very quickly.
It has been talked about for some time but maybe its time for Hilfenhaus to be given a go since I've read he's a good swing bowler and a good swing bowler is key for a bowling attack.

I think Hayden's time is up now and you'd think that Jaques will get the nod since he didn't deserve to get left out in the first place.

The bowling attack is key for the Australians. You need a bowling attack that can take twenty wickets and the batting will then take care of itself.
I would give Krezja a run in the side since he may bowl a few loose ball but can take wickets at least until McGain recovers and I suppose they hope that young Steven Smith learns very quickly.
It has been talked about for some time but maybe its time for Hilfenhaus to be given a go since I've read he's a good swing bowler and a good swing bowler is key for a bowling attack.

I think Hayden's time is up now and you'd think that Jaques will get the nod since he didn't deserve to get left out in the first place.

He's injured.

Without Warne the dominance is over. He was the key reason why sides struggled against aus and why aus held the mental edge for so long. Unless Australia find another warne fast they won't dominate very soon.

Australia will be competitive but for me number 1 will be between SA and India.

It's all over.

How many times did Mcgrath or Warne save the day in situations like the ones during the last few matches against South Africa? Countless times. Australia didn't even look threatening (besides 1 Johnson and 1 Siddle spell) with the ball at all.

It's all over.

How many times did Mcgrath or Warne save the day in situations like the ones during the last few matches against South Africa? Countless times. Australia didn't even look threatening (besides 1 Johnson and 1 Siddle spell) with the ball at all.
Not really. Australia have been all over South Africa in this series. We just didn't take advantage of when we were ontop. We didn't need McGrath or Warne to 'save' us, but instead just finish the job when we had South Africa locked into submission. No discredit to South Africa though, because they have played fantastically well.

Yes You can say that Aussies are facing competition .....but they will come back...

This discussion is going on in the why is Australia starting to decline thread.

Posted this link there too:

Cricinfo - It's not funny anymore

Nice start to it as well:

Until the final day at the MCG it was fun watching Australia flop about, letting South Africa recover from positions that only the teams of Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor could escape from regularly. It was satisfying to see the cockiness drain from the experienced Australian players, the ones who have been claiming for weeks they are still the best in the world despite not seeing the bushfire surrounding them. And it was pleasing that the series defeat would lead to more of the younger players, the famed depth that everyone with an Australian cap repeats as often as "execute plans", being on show in the dead rubber in Sydney.

Australia's dominance is over. They'll still be a good side, but not no. 1 again for a long while.

Why are they thinking about Marcus North but not Dave Hussey? Hussey is two years older and his average his 10 higher.

Too aggressive? I'm pretty sure that's the reason why he probably won't be ever seen as a first choice for test selection.

This discussion is going on in the why is Australia starting to decline thread.

Posted this link there too:

Cricinfo - It's not funny anymore

Nice start to it as well:

Australia's dominance is over. They'll still be a good side, but not no. 1 again for a long while.

If the top 3 all play reasonable number of test matches every year from now, I feel there will be constant changing of the No.1 spot occupant.

None of the sides will occupy the spot as long as this Aussie side has done which speaks volumes of the their achievement.If the other sides like NZ,Pakistan,Sri Lanka and West Indies could step up,test cricket would again be in great health.Matches between the top 4(Aus,Ind,SA and England) will be very closely contested ones.

Users who are viewing this thread