The New Indian Team

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
manee said:
A great team except you are ignoring the youth of the next four years which is a common but fatal mistake to make.

Many of the guys that I mentioned wont be too old by the time 2011 comes. Except Yuvraj and Kaif, no one else has that much experience. And the current seniors are bound to be around for some more time now.

Who do you think should be changed in that team mentioned?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I mean the youth who will come onto the scene in the next five years, you are also ignoring form. A team for the World Cup cannot be set forth yet, since players may come in and out of the system, are the matches from now to then meaningless, NO. They are people fighting for selection.

Check out my article on the topic.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
manee said:
I mean the youth who will come onto the scene in the next five years, you are also ignoring form. A team for the World Cup cannot be set forth yet, since players may come in and out of the system, are the matches from now to then meaningless, NO. They are people fighting for selection.

Check out my article on the topic.

The team I put up is a prediction of the guys who might do well in the coming years to warrant World Cup selection!

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Ok, please check my article on the subject as I am always willing to add to it if people put up a case for a player.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
saisrini said:
Virender Sehwag - Gautam Gambhir
Robin Uthappa - Robin Uthappa
Rahul Dravid - Mohammed Kaif
Yuvraj Singh - Yuvraj Singh
Sachin Tendulkar - Pujara/Badrinath (I will go for Badrinath)
Saurav Ganguly - Suresh Raina
Dinesh Karthik - Dinesh Karthik
MS Dhoni - MS Dhoni
Irfan Pathan - Irfan Pathan
Anil Kumble - Piyush Chawla
Harbhajan Singh - Ravindra Jadeja
Ajit Agarkar - T Yomahesh
Zaheer Khan - Zaheer Khan
Munaf Patel - L Balaji
S Sreesanth - S Sreesanth

Captain: Yuvraj (or) Mohammed Kaif

I'd suggest having Kaif as captain is the best possible thing that can happen in 2011.Yuvraj,well I really havent heard or seen him captain the team.But,he was the vice-captain for M.Kaif during the 2000 U-19 WC,which we incidentally won.Even Zaheer can stake his claim for the place.

The team that you mention above is fantastic,but I believe there is a place for Cheteshwar Pujara.You would need a stoick- Dravid like person to hold fort if things go haywire.
So I'd just sub Utthappa for Pujara.
It is tough,but you do have nice bat like Yuvi,Jadeja,Irfan[i do see him as an allrounder in future]

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
iceman_waugh said:
I'd suggest having Kaif as captain is the best possible thing that can happen in 2011.Yuvraj,well I really havent heard or seen him captain the team.But,he was the vice-captain for M.Kaif during the 2000 U-19 WC,which we incidentally won.Even Zaheer can stake his claim for the place.

The team that you mention above is fantastic,but I believe there is a place for Cheteshwar Pujara.You would need a stoick- Dravid like person to hold fort if things go haywire.
It is tough,but you do have nice bat like Yuvi,Jadeja,Irfan[i do see him as an allrounder in future]

Mohammed Kaif is somewhat like Dravid - he can hold fort if things go wrong rite?

Anyways, I have heard more abt Badrinath than Pujara, so I went for Badri. How old is Pujara? Is he a good fielder? Almost everyone in the team should be a more than decent fielder! Fielding is very important in one day cricket these days!

Indyan

Club Cricketer
On what basis are you people picking Kaif as captain?
Heck, in last 22 innings he has scored at an average of 18.94.
If he comes back in and does well then its another thing. But, he hasnt yet done anything in the international level to warrent this trust.

prarara

International Cricketer
He was captain of the Under 19s I think. So he's got some experience. I think Pujara is pretty young (played some good knocks for U-19 WC,) and did fairly well. Badrinath's older, and probably has more experience; I can't say who's a better fielder.

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
iceman_waugh said:

\

Rohit sharma and manoj tiwary ,abid nabi,ishant sharma also deserve chances
and balaji is finished

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
saisrini80 said:
Mohammed Kaif is somewhat like Dravid - he can hold fort if things go wrong rite?

Anyways, I have heard more abt Badrinath than Pujara, so I went for Badri. How old is Pujara? Is he a good fielder? Almost everyone in the team should be a more than decent fielder! Fielding is very important in one day cricket these days!

Yes Kaif is pretty similar to Dravid.

Regd Badri and Pujara,Pujara is around 21 years old.
I really have no idea about his fielding,but he is a good batsman.Infact he was the Man of the U-19 World Cup in 2006.Even in Test cricket,I feel he is the ideal opener.You can call him a cross between Chopra and Jaffer.

Remember Rahul Dravid when he first began his career ? Pujara is the same.Slow but elegant.

Cricket_god said:
\

and balaji is finished

Adding them to the 12 mentioned above by sai,I think you'll get a decent player pool of 20 to choose from.

Indyan said:
On what basis are you people picking Kaif as captain?
Heck, in last 22 innings he has scored at an average of 18.94.
If he comes back in and does well then its another thing. But, he hasnt yet done anything in the international level to warrent this trust.

To be fair,Kaif bats really low down the order.
I have always believed that a batsman like Kaif should bat at No.4 for India.
His career graph doesnt reflect any great knocks.But one must agree that he was dropped when he should'nt have been.[after Aus tour to Ind in 2005].

Give him a few more chances,I'd say against England and promote the lad upt the order.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Cricket_god said:
\

and balaji is finished

How do you decide that? Ganguly was said to be finished, he came back and scored good runs for the side. Same with Zaheer Khan. Balaji is not as old as Ganguly at all and is a good fielder unlike the mentioned two. If he can come back from his injury, I believe he can still be a very effective bowler in international cricket!

iceman_waugh said:
Yes Kaif is pretty similar to Dravid.

Regd Badri and Pujara,Pujara is around 21 years old.
I really have no idea about his fielding,but he is a good batsman.Infact he was the Man of the U-19 World Cup in 2006.Even in Test cricket,I feel he is the ideal opener.You can call him a cross between Chopra and Jaffer.

Remember Rahul Dravid when he first began his career ? Pujara is the same.Slow but elegant.

Adding them to the 12 mentioned above by sai,I think you'll get a decent player pool of 20 to choose from.

To be fair,Kaif bats really low down the order.
I have always believed that a batsman like Kaif should bat at No.4 for India.
His career graph doesnt reflect any great knocks.But one must agree that he was dropped when he should'nt have been.[after Aus tour to Ind in 2005].

Give him a few more chances,I'd say against England and promote the lad upt the order.

Badrinath is said to be an excellent fielder.

How many batsmen can you have bat at No.4? Between Yuvraj and Kaif, I would go for Yuvraj at No.4. He has had tremendous success at that position, and he has also matured into a more responsible batsman and the best batsman deserves that spot. Yuvraj should be our No.4 most often!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well the two guys can take over No.3 and No.4
Yuvi I believe needs to command more,he needs to mature out a bit more.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I think we should really look in to grooming good allrounders such as the Oram's. Pathan won't do it unless he picks up his form.
We need someone who bowls 130-135 kmph, bats at 6, 7, 8 and gets good 30-60 scores and the odd ton or two.
Thats one place where India lack as a team.

Who was MOT in the u-19 world cup in Dhaka? Dhawan? I think he should get a go.
Venugopal deserves more chances as well..
and Laxman now has a place to come back. He's awesome, i'm a huge fan.
If Dravid loses Captaincy after these 3 tourney's, I hope that Yuvraj doesn't get it.
He's so egoistical (Belive me i've met him) he thinks he's the greatest person in the world and his nose high in the air-It'll only get higher if captaincy is awarded to him.
Give it back to Sourav. Only decent option we have for now, and karthik can take over the helm once Dada calls it a day and KKD gets some experience under his belt.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Cricketman93 said:
I think we should really look in to grooming good allrounders such as the Oram's. Pathan won't do it unless he picks up his form.
We need someone who bowls 130-135 kmph, bats at 6, 7, 8 and gets good 30-60 scores and the odd ton or two.
Thats one place where India lack as a team.

Who was MOT in the u-19 world cup in Dhaka? Dhawan? I think he should get a go.
Venugopal deserves more chances as well..
and Laxman now has a place to come back. He's awesome, i'm a huge fan.
If Dravid loses Captaincy after these 3 tourney's, I hope that Yuvraj doesn't get it.
He's so egoistical (Belive me i've met him) he thinks he's the greatest person in the world and his nose high in the air-It'll only get higher if captaincy is awarded to him.
Give it back to Sourav. Only decent option we have for now, and karthik can take over the helm once Dada calls it a day and KKD gets some experience under his belt.

A very good post.
I really don't know whether Shikhar Dhawan was the MOT in Dhaka,but he is a good bat.However,Dhawan's first class form is hardly anything to boast about.
Laxman can come back for the Tests,I believe.A Test cap must be earned and the BCCI just cannot go about doling out Test Caps to anybody it wishes to.
Just in case Dravid loses captaincy,Yuvraj is not my choice for the reasons that you have mentioned.KKD is the best bait as we have discussed earlier.Maybe they should keep Sourav till Aus series thereafter hand it over to KKD.

karnog

International Cricketer
I feel india are not good enough to compete with the best at this stage. They're done the right thing of changing the domestic structure but having two indian teams? Is this true first of all? Players need to nurture from domestic cricket.

I think India need to nurture an all-rounder like a Flintoff, an Oram, a Styris, a Watson, etc. So i agree with cricketman93. Next their fielding standards need to rise significantly. They need to invest in fielding which would further strenghten the bowling attack. The bowling attack need to continue to improve, a wicket taking spinner is probably what they're missing. But at this stage bowling is looking bright. Batting has always been good and i think they have players who can take up the challenge. No doubt Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid can ever be replaced but it doesn't mean India will perform even worse! Finally, captaincy. Continueing with Dravid is a mistake but i think they have no other options except for Ganguly- if ganguly got captaincy no doubt his batting will dip and may cause further problems with the batting. Yuvraj singh as future captain? Nah. Dhoni? Too early to judge. Kaarthic? Again too early. This year is about playing good cricket and finding their feet. Dominating the world? First regain the form and attitude. Start improving now.

For bangladesh tour India should rest Sehwag, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Harbhajan singh. Give gambhir and the youngsters a shot. With the exception of Ganguly these players need to find form and cricket in India could be the key. Pathan should be tested.

Users who are viewing this thread