Your Cricket The Perfect Bowling Action

Well obviously whatever is easiest and most comfortable for you is your ideal action, but if you need to remodel it, Glenn McGrath has a perfect action, and is one of the reasons he bowls so accurately. Same with Stuart Clark as well, watch either and see how you go.

Its not good if it cant do the job

Feelin Blue? said:
I bowl front on and get plenty of accuracy. When i bowl side on im not as good. So for me the perfect action would be front on. So madmick96 just practise front on and side on and see which gets you better results and more comfortable.

Well i bowl front on aswell and find side on harder... as i said front on is easier but if you just start from front on you just like take it in and then changing to side on is harder,,, but to be technically correct side on is better

Basically a sound action is one which doesnt impede your run up or makes you lose rythem. If i bowl seam, i have a side on action and have a high armed action causing bounce, but not much speed, but if i want to put in a quicker yorker i tend to try to collapse a little to give me that bit oif extra "umphhh," into my action.

Any action which consistently takes wickets is the perfect action surely. Then again with the likes of Shoaib Akhtar and Murali as top wicket takers i am not so sure what i just said is correct.

These tips are taken from the 'Fast Bowlers Bible', well worth a read as it does contain some really good tips and how to not only bowl accurately but also add some extra speed to your bowling.

? Imagine you are bowling in a railway track. This will help you run-up straight, keep your weight moving in a straight line in your action and follow-through straight. If it doesn?t go at the batsman, then change it!

? Your non-bowling arm is far more important than your bowling arm. Use it properly by driving it out and down so it passes your side. When you do this properly, it will accelerate your bowling shoulder and help increase speed

? Keep your elbows and arms pumping in as you run up and load up into your action. Nothing throws your momentum and straight lines off like unnecessary side-to-side movements. Keeping your action ?tight? helps you to control the release of the ball

? Make sure you fully rotate your shoulders on completion of action. If you have a name on your back imagine you are going to show it to the batsman when you finish. This will help you think about how much of a shoulder turn you?re aiming for

The rest of the tips can be found here as well as more information about the book.

The best tip I know in order to bowl accurately is too ensure your non bowling arm (at the elbow) is brought into your hip - this helps to keep everything straight.

I like Zaheer Khans action. Gives me good momentum and rhythm, and its fun to "fly" in the air too.
I'm going to try Malinga's action in the nets when I get to india too :p

Almost_Austwick said:
These tips are taken from the 'Fast Bowlers Bible', well worth a read as it does contain some really good tips and how to not only bowl accurately but also add some extra speed to your bowling.

• Imagine you are bowling in a railway track. This will help you run-up straight, keep your weight moving in a straight line in your action and follow-through straight. If it doesn’t go at the batsman, then change it!

• Your non-bowling arm is far more important than your bowling arm. Use it properly by driving it out and down so it passes your side. When you do this properly, it will accelerate your bowling shoulder and help increase speed

• Keep your elbows and arms pumping in as you run up and load up into your action. Nothing throws your momentum and straight lines off like unnecessary side-to-side movements. Keeping your action ‘tight’ helps you to control the release of the ball

• Make sure you fully rotate your shoulders on completion of action. If you have a name on your back imagine you are going to show it to the batsman when you finish. This will help you think about how much of a shoulder turn you’re aiming for

The rest of the tips can be found here as well as more information about the book.

The best tip I know in order to bowl accurately is too ensure your non bowling arm (at the elbow) is brought into your hip - this helps to keep everything straight.

those are some amazing tips but i find that different bowling actions have different attributes and help in someway and also makes me disadvantaged in another.

eg. If i try to bowl like Shoaib Akhtar, Shaun Tait and Lasith Maling, a slingy type action, i get much more speed but less accuracy.

While if i try to bowl like Glenn McGrath (i say im Glenn McGrath in my head in the runup) I get all tense and goes in the offside too wide, and if i be natural its not very consistenet.

Also if i try to bowl like Andrew Flintoff, i some swing, not much seam decent speed and accuracy, those high arm actions work for me. If i try to bowl like other people like James Anderson, Stuart Clark or Brett Lee, i dont get much consistency but with Clarks action i get more seam.

I think the key to it all is to find an action with which you're comfortable and that can be easily replicated. You may find that you are more suited to seam than swing or that you can pick your pace up to around 80mph, its all good as long as you can repeat it time and time again without any undue stress on your body.

Things such as swing and seam can be taught once you've got your action sorted out, although you are correct in thinking that some actions will give more pronounced swing whilst others may add seam movement. Very few bowlers have the full array of tricks up their sleeve which is why you have bowling attacks. It's better to be good at one or two components than average at all.

Experiment, see what feels the most natural and then work on it.

Users who are viewing this thread