Draft: The Quiz Draft - Redux

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Aislabie thought of Sobers, but he figured since everyone might have gone for Bradman, Sobers would have been the next obvious pick. Not so obvious though. Youngest triple centurion ever and highest ever first century.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@CerealKiller is correct. So in your original Draft, double picked players became unavailable but considering the types of questions I've got planned...it might be slightly unfair of me to restrict the players available. Whether Bradman is eligible in a further round is up for debate at the moment (since this round is strictly for bowlers) but you never know.

EDIT: My bad on the wording, it should probably read "linked to in the first post " instead of "available in the first post". I'll fix that maybe tomorrow when I've got the time.

DOUBLE EDIT: Corrected it.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Garry Sobers was a huge miss. Thought for sure that someone would go for him. Happy with getting Hutton though

Hutton being "ill" is still the best commentary/summary line I've ever read about. He was on 111, but the BBC guy read it as "Hutton, ill...no wait sorry, that's Hutton 111" live on air. In the commentary thread I linked to the actual story. It's somewhere around at least.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Thanks to all for the rapid replies.

This round is going to be a disappointment to a lot of us. Unfortunately there were double and triple picks aplenty. Most of us missed out here due to that.

1. @ddrap14 - George Lohmann: 8/7 vs. South Africa
Yeah, one of the best bowling performances ever from one of the best players ever. No doubt why so many people picked him.

2. @Neptune - Fred "the Demon" Spofforth: 6/48 vs. England
He's first on the list of Test hat tricks. Expected more than one person to choose him, yet only Neptune did. Really like Spofforth as a pick.

3. @ahmedleo414 - Shane Warne: 3/16 vs. England
A couple of people figured Warne would have been picked, and so didn't pick him. Ahmed went bravely ahead and it paid off.

4. @CerealKiller - Courtney Walsh: 4/62 and 3/61 vs. Australia
This was one of those "technical" hat-tricks because it happened across two innings. But for being the first ever bowler past 500 Test wickets, he's a very good pick. I wasn't alone in thinking that way though.

5. @Aislabie - George Lohmann
Well, at least Aislabie is robbed of a pick this round. I don't expect this sort of thing to continue for long though.

6. @Yash. - George Lohmann
Someone has been spending too much time doing Drafts, lol.

7. @sanchitgarg - Courtney Walsh
Boo. Hiss.

8. @Mittal2002 - Courtney Walsh
I know when we think great fast bowlers, we think West Indies, but this is getting ridiculous.

9. @qpeedore - Courtney Walsh
Well, this is becoming a farce. Walsh has been in and out of the picks with almost as much regularity as he's been out for duck.

Notable misses: Wasim Akram, Lance Gibbs, Glenn McGrath

This was a round absolutely dominated by two players. Some people tried the psychological pick, some tried the reverse psychology, some tried the double reverse. But at the end of it all, most of us missed out. Again, if I've got someone's pick wrong, let me know. Discussions are open for Round 2.

The teams thus far

@ddrap14
:sri: Mahela Jayawardene :bat:

@Neptune
:eng: Len Hutton :bat:
:aus: Fred "the Demon" Spofforth :bwl:

@ahmedleo414
:aus: Shane Warne :bwl:

@CerealKiller
none

@Aislabie
:sri: Kumar Sangakarra :wkb:

@Yash.
:eng: Wally Hammond :bat:

@sanchitgarg
:aus: Mark Taylor :bat:

@Mittal2002
:eng: Graham Gooch :bat:

@qpeedore's extra team
:wi: Chris Gayle :bat:

Unavailable players

Mahela Jayawardene
Len Hutton
Kumar Sangakarra
Wally Hammond
Mark Taylor
Graham Gooch
Chris Gayle
Shane Warne
Fred Spofforth

Since we've almost all missed out on a bowler, the next one will also be about a bowler. Deadline remains the same, Monday 21st June at 6pm GMT.

Round 3

We all enjoy a good rearguard action from time to time. I want to see who you consider to be good batting tail enders.

Pick a tail ender who has scored a century (from anywhere of the positions 8-11) and opened the bowling in the same match.

Told you the questions would start getting harder.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

This round is going to be a disappointment to a lot of us. Unfortunately there were double and triple picks aplenty. Most of us missed out here due to that.

Yeah, one of the best bowling performances ever from one of the best players ever. No doubt why so many people picked him.

He's first on the list of Test hat tricks. Expected more than one person to choose him, yet only Neptune did. Really like Spofforth as a pick.

A couple of people figured Warne would have been picked, and so didn't pick him. Ahmed went bravely ahead and it paid off.

This was one of those "technical" hat-tricks because it happened across two innings. But for being the first ever bowler past 500 Test wickets, he's a very good pick. I wasn't alone in thinking that way though.

Well, at least Aislabie is robbed of a pick this round. I don't expect this sort of thing to continue for long though.

Boo. Hiss.

I know when we think great fast bowlers, we think West Indies, but this is getting ridiculous.

Well, this is becoming a farce. Walsh has been in and out of the picks with almost as much regularity as he's been out for duck.

This was a round absolutely dominated by two players. Some people tried the psychological pick, some tried the reverse psychology, some tried the double reverse. But at the end of it all, most of us missed out. Again, if I've got someone's pick wrong, let me know. Discussions are open for Round 2.

The teams thus far

@ddrap14

@Neptune

@ahmedleo414

@CerealKiller
none

@Aislabie

@Yash.

@sanchitgarg

@Mittal2002

@qpeedore's extra team

Unavailable players

Mahela Jayawardene
Len Hutton
Kumar Sangakarra
Wally Hammond
Mark Taylor
Graham Gooch
Chris Gayle
Shane Warne
Fred Spofforth

Since we've almost all missed out on a bowler, the next one will also be about a bowler. Deadline remains the same, Monday 21st June at 6pm GMT.

Round 3

We all enjoy a good rearguard action from time to time. I want to see who you consider to be good batting tail enders.

Pick a tail ender who has scored a century (from anywhere of the positions 8-11) and opened the bowling in the same match.

I used reverse psychology a round too early :facepalm

Mittal2002

Club Captain

Boo. Hiss.

The teams thus far

@ddrap14

@Neptune

@ahmedleo414

@CerealKiller
none

@Aislabie

@Yash.

@sanchitgarg

@Mittal2002

@qpeedore's extra team

Unavailable players

Mahela Jayawardene
Len Hutton
Kumar Sangakarra
Wally Hammond
Mark Taylor
Graham Gooch
Chris Gayle
Shane Warne
Fred Spofforth

Round 3

Though I thought that Walsh would be a very risky pick, but 4 persons going for him, this was something unusual.

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Really pleased with getting Spofforth. Was planning to go for mcgrath, but changed my mind on the last second, thinking that someone else would go for him

Users who are viewing this thread